PDA

View Full Version : One Year Down.....

John Hart
03-23-2006, 8:00 AM
Wow...I just realized that today is my one year anniversary on the Creek. A year ago, I joined SMC to find out more about Freedom Pens....I ended up finding a family. Nice discovery. I also found out what my lathe was for. Until then, it was just a hunk of metal in the corner that collected dust, tools, and failed projects. Everyone here on the Turners Forum tolerated my stupid questions and I muddled through. I just took a look at the first thing I turned back then and guess what? It was a Bonker!!! At the time, I thought it was a lamp. I still have that thing...even though it is cracked and in a pile of junk.

Since then, I've turned over 130 pieces (not including pens) and my computer is overloaded with pictures. Made a bunch of friends and had the best time of my life.....really.

Thanks everyone!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2006, 8:03 AM
And it's truly been our pleasure John! Truly our pleasure!

Gary Herrmann
03-23-2006, 8:05 AM
Happy Anniversary!

Mark Singer
03-23-2006, 8:08 AM
John, Happy Anniversary!.....you are a SMC one year member! You had to wake me up at 5:00 in the morning to tell me this?:rolleyes:

tod evans
03-23-2006, 8:11 AM
Wow...I just realized that today is my one year anniversary on the Creek. A year ago, I joined SMC to find out more about Freedom Pens....I ended up finding a family. Nice discovery. I also found out what my lathe was for. Until then, it was just a hunk of metal in the corner that collected dust, tools, and failed projects. Everyone here on the Turners Forum tolerated my stupid questions and I muddled through. I just took a look at the first thing I turned back then and guess what? It was a Bonker!!! At the time, I thought it was a lamp. I still have that thing...even though it is cracked and in a pile of junk.

Since then, I've turned over 130 pieces (not including pens) and my computer is overloaded with pictures. Made a bunch of friends and had the best time of my life.....really.

Thanks everyone!

just think from a lathe to horses all on your computer.....where will you be this time next year? maybe the amish have something......horse powered jackshafts....congrats john!

Tyler Howell
03-23-2006, 8:13 AM
130 pieces???
A bunch of friends????

Sounds like gloating and no pictures:mad: :mad: :p :D

I've followed and enjoyed your threads John.
Even if they are spin head:rolleyes:

George Conklin
03-23-2006, 8:14 AM
Happy anniversary, John. You are one of the reasons SMC is such a great place.

George

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 8:17 AM
Congrats John....wow one year, close to 4,000 posts and a moderatorship...you been a busy fella!

Enjoy your posts John, keep em comin.

David Fried
03-23-2006, 8:36 AM
John,

I'm with Tyler - no pictures, no lamp bonker!

It's hard to believe you've been at it only a year. I'm certainly slooow!!
I do see a certain balance - you've now answered as many questions as you ever asked! Congrats!!

Dave Fried

Christopher K. Hartley
03-23-2006, 8:41 AM
Happy Anniversary!! Thanks John for sharing this. Even though I'm new, I have been feeling some of those same things about the group and have been very encouraged and blessed to be here. I'm looking forward to my "One Year", just to know even more of what you are experiencing. This truely is a special place!

Mark Singer
03-23-2006, 8:44 AM
I taught you everything you ever new about ....Shlamaca

Except the ice cream and berries:rolleyes:

Keith Burns
03-23-2006, 8:45 AM
John, that is way cool. This is a very special place to me as well. But I have a comment.....One year, 3,891 posts = 10.66 posts per day....John, you need to GET A LIFE:D :D

Raymond Overman
03-23-2006, 8:49 AM
I didn't realize it but Pi day (3/14) was my one year anniversary. I didn't even get me anything. I better remember that next year or I'll be mad at myself.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-23-2006, 8:49 AM
Happy One Year!

Boy you sure are turning out the projects and the posts!

Keep it up!

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
03-23-2006, 8:52 AM
...John, you need to GET A LIFE:D :D

Perhaps, but look at the "life" he's given the creek.

Happy to call you my partner in crime.

Which reminds me, John. Up for another caper?

John Miliunas
03-23-2006, 9:19 AM
Hey John, CONGRATS!!! :D And, as Ken indicated, AFAIC, the pleasure has been all ours!!! :) Here's to many, many more years at SMC for, as well as the rest of us. (You too, Andy! :D ) :) :cool:

Mike Ramsey
03-23-2006, 9:40 AM
Happy Anniversary John!!!

Mine is next month, hope to see you here when you announce
your 2nd anniversary!! I've really enjoyed reading your post
for the last 12 months!!

Jim Dunn
03-23-2006, 9:41 AM
Wonderful to meet ya John. I've had a years worth of fun on the turners forum in the past 6 months.

Mike Ramsey
03-23-2006, 9:45 AM
I didn't realize it but Pi day (3/14) was my one year anniversary. I didn't even get me anything. I better remember that next year or I'll be mad at myself.

Ray, it's still March!! It's never to late to buy yourself something!!
Happy anniversay to you also!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Congrats John. It has been a pleasure knowing you, learning from you and being a friend. Thanks for everything.

Hey I just realized I have been on SMC for a year in January. Darn time flies when you are having fun. Thanks to everyone for all your help. We have a pretty nice family here on SMC.

Jim Becker
03-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Good thing you didn't join a Horse Forum a year ago... :D :D :D (Congrats!)

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Congrats John and only 3800+ post in a year thats got to be some sort of a record.

:D Of course Andy will have you beat hands down when his annavery rolls around.

Andy Hoyt
03-23-2006, 11:45 AM
..... Of course Andy will have you beat hands down when his annavery rolls around.
Ha! I dunno what's more embarrassing.

The quantity of my posts, or their quality.

Oops, one more for the scorekeeper.

Ed Scolforo
03-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Happy anniverary, John. I must say your turning has come a long way in such a short time. Congrats!
Ed

Rich Stewart
03-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Happy anniversary John. It SURE is a pleasure to know you. Always a nice word for everyone. I hope we are all celebrating on number 2.

Lars Thomas
03-23-2006, 12:41 PM
You didn't mention how many trips to the post office to send out wood to your new found family!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-23-2006, 3:19 PM
Happy Anniversary, John. The feeling is mutual. Besides everything else you've done, you have handled the Monitor position with poise and grace.

Bruce

John Hart
03-23-2006, 3:30 PM
Wow...thanks everyone! Sorry to wake you up Mr Singer...figured that the Shlamaca rustling in the breezes had you rising early anyway. Andy...anytime you want a caper...you can count on me....you know how to reach me.;)
Lars...I bet I have a record of wood shipments some where....That would be fun to look up!! Probably find out that I missed someone!

Thanks everyone for a good year. I'll be avoiding the Horse forums.....count on it.:) :)

I went through my laptop today and transferred one picture of every project to photobucket. Just off the laptop, there are 105 projects. There's a bunch more on my woodshop computer and on my office computer...Maybe I can make a collage or something to satisfy the Men In Pink!!
But...as a pacifier....here is my lamp/bonker from a year ago. I didn't know at the time that you were supposed to post turning things in the Turning Forum...so this was in the General Forum. Probably ticked some people off!:eek:

Anyway..here it is.(Note how clean the wall is)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/bluepatriot/lamponlathe1sm.jpg

Glenn Clabo
03-23-2006, 5:08 PM
Holy macarone John...almost 4000 posts and you try to pawn off a postage stamp of picture?

As someone who has been on the John Hart "Blank" (no comments Corpsman) List...I thank you for the last year and many more to come.

John Hart
03-23-2006, 5:38 PM
Ooops!!! I guess I don't know how to use Photobucket yet.
Here's the full size

Bob Noles
03-23-2006, 6:01 PM
John,

Congrats on the anniversary. Even though I have only been involved in the turner's forum for a few month's, I have enjoyed your posts and friendship. You have been a real inspiration both as a turner and a friend to many. We have had many laughs both above and below the table ;)

You played a VERY large roll in me even getting a lathe and have served as a silent mentor since. I have enjoyed all that you have contributed and look forward to another year of your very active participation. I don't see how you do it all.... but glad you do. You are the type of person that anyone and everyone can look up to and no one can look down at.

Thanks for being John Hart!

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2006, 7:15 PM
Congrats John, I too have been here a year this month. Bestest of them all and guys like you just make it that much greater! I would say if you have only been turning for a little over a year, what progress you have made! MAN! Thanks for all the help you have given me John and here is to many more.

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
03-23-2006, 7:32 PM
Perhaps, but look at the "life" he's given the creek.

This is so true.

John, I would imagine you are responsible for many people coming to the dark side and out from the shadows of lurking to join the fun.
It's been a pleasure to know you.

Congratulations on the year. Happy Anniversary.

Ernie