PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Rolling Tool Chest.....

Phil Winn
03-23-2006, 2:51 AM
Borrowed a digital camera from a friend, here is a photograph
of the Rolling Tool Chest which I made a few weeks ago.
Rolling Tool Chest-finally a place to put my tools...
Curly Maple for entire cabinet except the top which is
Beech Wood in Butcher Block style. The hardware is from Lee Valley and from Gerstner (the side brass handles). There are four wheels (LV) on the bottom. The drawers are dovetailed and have full extension slides. The finish for the cabinet is Poly, with simple BLO + Mineral Spirits for the Beech Wood top.
Thanks for looking!
Phil

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 2:58 AM
Wow Phil, it's a cryin' shame you couldn't find some good-looking wood for that tool cabinet. :eek: That maple is just so plain looking. :p

That thing is gorgeous! Excellent on all counts. If that's the sort of fixtures you put in your shop, I'd love to see your house.

- Vaughn

Dana Van Pelt
03-23-2006, 3:26 AM
Phil:

Nice!!!Is this your design? Perhaps you could give us some sizes and some construction notes. I would love to build one for the school.

thanks,
you have inspired me!!

Mike

scott spencer
03-23-2006, 5:21 AM
Holy cow Phil...that's stunning! Looks like a "Winn"er to me! :D

Mike Cutler
03-23-2006, 5:28 AM
WOW!!.

You must have some really nice furniture in the house. Or you will, once your wife has seen that tool chest.

Very nice.

Ed Labadie
03-23-2006, 6:58 AM
Phil,
That is awesome!!!!
You did an excellent job.

Ed

tod evans
03-23-2006, 7:05 AM
pretty piece phil!

John D Watson
03-23-2006, 7:38 AM
Great chest Phil, the handles give it that sturdy look as will every man who sees it.:rolleyes:

Gary Herrmann
03-23-2006, 7:59 AM
Wow. Very nice chest, Phil. I plan to make one some time soon, hope mine turns out as well as yours.

Dave Walker
03-23-2006, 8:50 AM
Now that is a stunning tool cabinet. Although, I think you can do better. Consider this a practice one and ship to me. Then get started on an improved model.;) :D

Seriously, That is awesome.

Richard Neel
03-23-2006, 9:05 AM
Excellent work on the cabinet Phil - its just beautiful. What are you gonna do the first time you ding it with a chisel? :eek: It'll be like the first ding in a brand new car!

John Miliunas
03-23-2006, 9:12 AM
Holy smokes, Phil...I think I'd be afraid to put something that nice in my shop!!! :eek: Awesome job! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
03-23-2006, 9:14 AM
Phil,
Wooooo! Nice ! Very nice!

Frank Pellow
03-23-2006, 9:23 AM
That's a great cabinet Phil! I would be afraid to have something that nice in my shop (and am serious when I say that).

Ihe certainly merits more than one picture. Please borrow the camera again and take some more. In particular, I would like to see some interior shots (with tools in place) and a picture of the bottom with the (hidden) wheels.

Mike Ramsey
03-23-2006, 9:24 AM
Beautiful!! Way to nice to put Flatlander tools in!! Send it to me and
I will do it justice by putting some nice spinny thinggy tools in it ;) .

Rob Russell
03-23-2006, 9:31 AM
That looks like it should be in a dining room as a silver chest, not a shop with screwdrivers and chisels in it!

Stunning work.

I agree with Frank's request for more pics.

Rob

Jason Tuinstra
03-23-2006, 9:58 AM
Phil, that is an excellent piece. My tools could only dream of being treated so well ;) The figured maple looks fantastic! Very nice choice. Could you give us the overall dimensions to get some perspective of how big it is? Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Olexa
03-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Beautiful work!!!

Tyler Howell
03-23-2006, 10:29 AM
More fine furniture in the shop???
Too nice Phil.

Josh Goldsmith
03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Very Nice!!!!!! I was thinking of building a similiar tool chest. Do you remember how many board feet you used. I want to make sure i can afford it before i start it. Again good job. I love curley maple!!!!!

Jim Becker
03-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Oh, my...that's gorgeous!!

Bob Swenson
03-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Phil,
Must have taken a lot of violins to make that, have you got one left so you can fiddle around in the shop. Much to nice.
Bob

Lars Thomas
03-23-2006, 12:38 PM
That is a great piece of work. I built one alot like that, except it's painted MDF with runs and sags and poorly fitted drawers. Other than that, it's just like yours.;)

Brett Baldwin
03-23-2006, 1:04 PM
With a shop cabinet like that, I can only imgaine what your "real" projects look like. That is a handsome chest.

Mark Pruitt
03-23-2006, 1:04 PM
GORGEOUS!!! I'd be afraid to have something that nice in my shop, given the way I'm always bumping into things! Really, really nice.

Phil Maddox
03-23-2006, 1:06 PM
Absolutely outstanding!!!

Keep it coming.

Mark Rios
03-23-2006, 1:15 PM
WOW! That's very impressive. I used to be so proud of my big Snap-On Roll-Away. Silly me. I bet yours cost more than mine did. :D

BTW, any pics of inside the drawers? Does the top open? Man, that's really nice.

Ben Roman
03-23-2006, 1:28 PM
Awesome Work... You are a inspiration to the novices out there ...

Ben

Brent Harral
03-23-2006, 1:34 PM
I kind of like the idea of keeping it in the shop. You will see it lots (hopefully!) and will surely be inspiration for that next one. Very nice AND practical.

Ron Robinson
03-23-2006, 1:37 PM
I think all the good adjectives have been used. Well, maybe not breathtaking!

Really beautiful.

Ron Robinson

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-23-2006, 1:40 PM
Just Beautiful Phil! Love to see more pics as well.

Mike

Bruce Page
03-23-2006, 2:42 PM
Stunning (tool? :confused: ) chest Phil but just ONE picture doesn't do it justice!

Martin Lutz
03-23-2006, 2:46 PM
Wow! nice work.

Ron Wright
03-23-2006, 2:48 PM
Great work Phil. Please post more pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Frank Chaffee
03-23-2006, 3:09 PM
I think all the good adjectives have been used. Well, maybe not breathtaking! Really beautiful. Ron Robinson
Phil,
Sorry to have to say this, but all I could find in my thesaurus that hasn’t already been used is “tooly coolly”!!!
Frank

Matt Tawes
03-23-2006, 3:15 PM
Very nice work indeed, I only wish I had time to make stuff like that for myself and shop. You did a beautiful job on it.

Alan Turner
03-23-2006, 4:11 PM
Nice work, and wood. You will enjoy it daily.

Reg Mitchell
03-23-2006, 8:19 PM
Phil,
very nice looking chest. Is that your own desine or did you use a ste of predrawn planes and whos....very sweet looking chest. :)

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2006, 8:26 PM
WOW! That is one of the nices tool chests I have seen!

Corey

Roy Wall
03-23-2006, 8:47 PM
Phil,

The chest is beautiful! Please borrow the camera again and give us the $100 tour!!

How's the Sawstop (I think:confused: )treating you???

Mark Stutz
03-23-2006, 9:14 PM
Phil,
That is one gorgeous cabinet!:cool: Where do you guys get all this beautiful wood!?:confused:

Phil Winn
03-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for all of the great comments! One of my adult children has some terrible health issues…as a parent and as a DMD & MD, I have been feeling completely powerless…and depressed for many, many, many months….all of your comments have made me feel good. Thanks!<O:p</O:p
Measurements: Top is 21" deep by 36" wide.<O:p</O:p
Total height is 34" <O:p</O:p
The cabinet is 34" wide and 20" deep and 32" tall. <O:p</O:p
VERY HEAVY, especially with all those heavy Jerry Glaser Turning tools (lead filled handles!)<O:p</O:p
My son bought the wood for me, he has a great eye-the funny thing is that this was
the least expensive wood he has ever bought, so I used the Curly Maple on the bottom, the “false” top (under the Beech Wood Butcher Block top), the back, drawers, etc.
For the drawer bottoms, I glued-up some boards, then resawed & glued them and made my own “plywood” drawer bottoms. I started with 4/4 rough Curly Maple and ended with 3/4” for the cabinet. The cabinet draw fronts were cut from one long wide board, with the bottom two, the middle three, and the top four/eight………..(I don’t know what it is called but for example if there are two drawer fronts, the first being 2” x 36” and the second 3” x 36”, then they were both cut from the same 5 1/8” x 36” board…..) so the grain matches within the same section---and with all the drawer fronts because they all come from the same board.
Design…it looks like a Craftsman, Snap-On, and a Gerstner tool chest; I wanted to make the height good for me to work/draw on, the same with the depth – so it would not stick out too far from the wall etc. One of these days I must buy a digital camera, until then I will see if I can borrow it again from my friend. What would I do differently? Easy, make it bigger…it is already full!
Phil

Rob Wilson
03-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Don't let your wife see it. It will get moved into the house and you'll be back to strewing your tools here and there around your shop.

Mike Waddell
03-24-2006, 1:04 PM
Wow, Phil. That is stunning. Incredible wood, and very well designed and implemented. Wow.

On another note, I am very sorry to hear that one of your children has heath issues. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

MW

Andy Fox
03-24-2006, 6:12 PM
Looks great!