PDA

View Full Version : $20 Gloat........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-23-2006, 1:17 AM
OK, a buddy is leaving the country, he has a ton of stuff to sell/give away.

He is one of my motorcycle buddies, so the amount of woodworking stuff is VERY limited. No I did not want to buy his $20,000 996 race Duc.... no thanks :rolleyes:

He is cleaning up selling stuff and getting ready to move.

He calls me up and says he has this tool thing that he bought, used once, and if I want it I can have it on the cheap, it is grinder of some sort....

I go to take a look, and he says, "here a Delta 6" bench grinder, how about $20...?"

I think I sprained my wrist getting my had out of my pocket so fast to shake his hand and say "DEAL!" :D

He then says, "There is a bag full of stuff that goes with it!".....

There are something like 8 buffing wheels, a pack of the 4 compounds used for polishing, a wire wheel, and a bunch of other buffers for the drill.

The he says "Would you have any use for some transformers....?"

these are step up transformers, they go from the local 100V 50 Hz to 120V 60 Hz. He has two, one rated at 15 amps the other at 4 amps, then he throws in a smart battery charge, new in the package....

Yep, best $20 I've spent in a while!

I gave him a nice bottle of wine too.

OK now a question for you lot, I got a 4 stick package of polishing compound, it has......

"Black Emery"
"Brown Tripoli"
"White Diamond"
"Red Rouge"

.......are any of these useful for the bowl polishing 3 wheel system?

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
03-23-2006, 3:25 AM
Stu, you never cease to amaze me. Urban logger, dungeon welder/turner, super dad, bargain shopper..... Great gloat!

Glenn Hodges
03-23-2006, 3:28 AM
You can use the cotton wheels and apply the red and white to them. They are used in buffing bowls before applying the carnauba wax. I sometimes use my lathe to turn the cotton wheels when buffing. I also have an electric motor set up for buffing bowls. Beal recomends a flannel wheel for the application of the carnauba wax.

Dave Fifield
03-23-2006, 4:52 AM
Great score Stu! What speed is the grinder? For best results on turning tools, you want a "slow" one (1760 rpm as opposed to 3450 rpm...or whatever the numbers are). All is not lost if it's a fast one....you'll simply have to grind for a shorter time and keep dipping the tool in water.

I'm not au fais with the compounds and when/where you should use them....I'll learn along with you on that one.

Cheers,
Dave F.

03-23-2006, 5:15 AM
It is a High Speed one, but still that is better than the cheapo Japanese one I have.

Cheers!

tod evans
03-23-2006, 6:55 AM
stu, i use buffing compound to sharpen with. what i`ve done is glue leather to a baltic birch disc, on the side, charge it with rouge and use it to sharpen edge tools. be sure the edge is facing away from rotation or it`ll grab the tool:eek: . i`ve not found a quicker/cleaner method of getting a "shave the baby" edge....02 tod

John Hart
03-23-2006, 7:17 AM
stu, i use buffing compound to sharpen with. what i`ve done is glue leather to a baltic birch disc, on the side, charge it with rouge and use it to sharpen edge tools. be sure the edge is facing away from rotation or it`ll grab the tool:eek: . i`ve not found a quicker/cleaner method of getting a "shave the baby" edge....02 tod

COOL!!! Thanks Tod. Gotta try that.

Great gloat Stu!

03-23-2006, 7:19 AM
(as usual) thanks for the tip Tod, I'M going to try that.

Cheers!

Mark Cothren
03-23-2006, 7:21 AM
Way to go, Stu! Excellent!

tod evans
03-23-2006, 7:23 AM
here`s a pic;

Mike Ramsey
03-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Nice heist you pulled off Stu!! Deluxe Gloat!!

Mike Ramsey
03-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Maybe wrong but you should be able to use the Tripoli on dark woods,
I do any way...I was given 4 bars of it a while back.

03-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks Mike!!

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Did you use a mask Stu or just do the heist broad daylight?:eek: :eek:

Way to go Stu. Nice haul for $20 bucks. I have the high speed grinder and it works well sharpening tools. Just don't get heavy handed with it and you will be fine.

Keith Burns
03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Theif, Theif............Oh, it's just Stu. Man you couldn't beat that deal with a Bonker:D

03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, he was happy to get rid of the stuff, and glad it was going to someone he knew would use it,and it was not going in the garbage, I was happy to help out ;) :D

Ron Ainge
03-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Stu

just a word of warning, don't use the white diamond on any dark colored wood becasue it will fill all of the voids with white powder and you will spend some time sanding it out again.

03-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks Ron, I saw that on the parts of Bill's DVD that I could watch.

I don't have any dark wood now, but I hope to get some soon.

One of the tenants in our building is a nice young lady who is just finishing up becoming a Doctor, her parents visit often, and her Dad is an Arborist. He told me that he gets all kinds of stuff that gets..........tossed in the garbage........ :eek: He said he has some nice sized root balls laying around....do I want them........ :D

I hope to get a variety of wood from him.

Cheers!

whoops, that is two gloats in one thread..... is there a limit.... :eek:

Ernie Nyvall
03-23-2006, 8:15 PM
Nice gloat Stu. Did he have the bottle of wine before he made you the offer?:D

Ernie

03-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Nope, he got the bottle after, as I even felt the price was a touch low, but he was happy just to see one more batch of stuff leaving.

Cheers"