PDA

View Full Version : Screen Door Plans/Book

Dennis Peacock
03-22-2006, 11:50 PM
This is Dennis' LOML - I had a question and he said I need to ask ya'll.
I want screen doors for our front and back doors that look like they would go on a country house. We haven't been able to find any plans or books that tell how to build them. The doors we have found that I like cost more than we want to pay, soooooooooooo....do ya'll have any suggestions for books or plans.

Thank you

Marion Rood
03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Finewoodworking has a victorian screen door article that you can download for price. Popular Mechanics had article on-line that was step-by-step build plain wood storm/screen door--but I can't find link on messy computer. I made to victorian doors last winter. They came out great.

tod evans
03-23-2006, 10:51 AM
mrs. peacock, dennis is passing the buck! screens are really quite simple to build, nothing more than basic mortise-n-tennon joinery.....the most dificult part will be getting dennis away from the lathe long enough to cut a few joints. try promissing him that he can install spindles in the lower section, maybe that`ll give him ambition......02 tod

Dennis Peacock
03-23-2006, 3:03 PM
mrs. peacock, dennis is passing the buck! screens are really quite simple to build, nothing more than basic mortise-n-tennon joinery.....the most dificult part will be getting dennis away from the lathe long enough to cut a few joints. try promissing him that he can install spindles in the lower section, maybe that`ll give him ambition......02 tod

Heheheheheheh......Now there's a feller that can read between the lines. ;)

We've been researching various styles of screen doors, but I'm just not real confident about building one that would work nice and look nice. So, I told her she could post here on SMC and maybe get some hints / tips about screen doors. Now....back to some "flatwork". :D

Frank Chaffee
03-23-2006, 5:08 PM
Dennis,
Here’s one I replaced on the house.
Frank

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 5:17 PM
I don't think it's quite the country style you're looking for, but there's a door on eBay (item #6044637922) that might give you some inspiration. I did a lot of searching last night, and screen door plans seem to be pretty scarce. Seems like it'd be pretty basic rail and stile construction. (Mrs. Peacock, "rail and stile" is a fancy woodworking technical term for "a couple boards going up and down, and two or three going crosswise". ;) )

- Vaughn

Dennis Peacock
03-23-2006, 7:16 PM
Now...ya'll are getting Tracy all fixed up.....I get to work out all the details she wants.....like an oval inset that matches the front door of the house and a screen door that has the little scrollies at the corners with spindles in the middle for the back.

I guess I'd better bone up on making oval insets, spindles and those little scrolly thingies for the back door. Sheesh!!!!!

Now all I need is about 1,000 BFT of lumber to practice on to get the method and process down pat before I make the real doors. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 7:42 PM
Hey. Jest head on down to the woods:eek: and find one of them ol abandoned farm houses:D and get ya screen door and paint er up bud.
Not much lathe time eaten up that way.:D

Randy Looney
03-24-2006, 4:18 PM
Hello Dennis,

My wife has been after me to make a screen door for the front of our house after I had made one for the back. I did a fair job of it. But had been putting off making the other one.

We went into Lowes to buy Plywood for some boxes I am building for a friend and while we are waiting to get it ripped down the middle we see a White Vinyl 36" Screen door setting out to the side of the others it was marked for $98 and it was damaged, I looked at it real close and told her if they mark it down to 25 them it is ours. Well we talked to floor manager and he marked it to $20 and we walked out of Lowes with a $140 screen door with a little damage and a little work and it is now on the front of the house.

Jeff Horton
03-24-2006, 9:05 PM
I am getting ready to build one with a solid lower panel to keep water from splashing into my porch, but no plans except what is is in my head. But it will be built like my garage doors. Loose tennons and using cypress.

Do you have a Habit for Humanity store near you? It and off and on again thing but I have seen many screen doors there. Just nothing that fits my need.

Fred LeBail
03-24-2006, 9:12 PM
Now...ya'll are getting Tracy all fixed up.....I get to work out all the details she wants.....like an oval inset that matches the front door of the house and a screen door that has the little scrollies at the corners with spindles in the middle for the back.

I guess I'd better bone up on making oval insets, spindles and those little scrolly thingies for the back door. Sheesh!!!!!

Now all I need is about 1,000 BFT of lumber to practice on to get the method and process down pat before I make the real doors. :eek: :rolleyes: :D
Dennis,
Be sure that you get the good stuff like Oak or Cherry !!!!

Von Bickley
03-24-2006, 9:21 PM
Dennis,

You may want to get in touch with Ken S. (The Old Rebel).
I think he was making a lot of screen doors at one time.:)