PDA

View Full Version : Creeker visit--Roy Wall

Mark Stutz
03-22-2006, 10:36 PM
I had a wonderful Sunday afternoon this past weekend! Roy Wall and his family stopped by the Stutz house for a visit. While we spent the afternoon in the shop, our "better halves" spent the afternoon at The Butterfly House. We sure are lucky to have wives who not only tolerate our afflictio...errr, addictio....errr, Hobby, but even encourage it!:D

Roy brought the pieces of a nice little table he is making for his daughter, and I continued work on my tool cabinet. Admitttedly, we didn't get a lot of work done, but compared notes on technique and how we do certain tasks in the shop. The afternoon just seemed to fly by.

Roy brought his LN#2 for us to "play" with. He says he got it for his daughter to use;) , but she may have to fight him for it!:eek: This is no toy. I really like how it feels. I can't hold it like a regular bench plane, but I may have to put one on the wish list.

And just so we stay in compliance with the PIC Police...the first is Roy working on cleaning up the taper on a table leg, and the second is the obligatory"group" shot

Roy Wall
03-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Mark's shop is a great place to work!! He built all the cabinets for storage-- and they are excellent in fit and finish!!

He and his wife Kathy were very gracious hosts and we had a great time - I look forward to Mark heading to KC sometime for a "I-70" creeker visit.

Here are some various pics around the shop....

Roy Wall
03-22-2006, 11:28 PM
And a few more........

Mark has an impressive plane collection - his plane rack is awesome! He is also in the middle of a "totally neander" project.....wall cabinet for his brother. He has good, tight hand cut DT's:)

Also had my first "lathe experience".....Mark copied a LN hornbeam screwdrive handle and turned one out just for me (that's up in his first post). What a guy!!! He shared a lot of knowledge with me and I'm very grateful for it.

He's right about that bronze #2.....good little worker.........:cool: The #9 was pretty seet also:)

I really had a ton of fun...I think we could have worked 12 hrs straight in the shop and not thought a thing about it....a great day for me!

Norman Hitt
03-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Great Pics & Great shop, & looks like a fun time was had by all. I like that Shooting Plane with the nice long handle for good control. What Brand/model is it?

Mark Stutz
03-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Norman,
The shooting plane is a LN #9. I put the hot dog handle on it and it is very comfortable to use. I just recently got this and we were putting the inagural shavings thru it. I previously used a low angle jack, but I find this more comfortable.

Gary Herrmann
03-23-2006, 8:13 AM
Good looking shop, Mark. Looks like it was a good time.

Mark Singer
03-23-2006, 8:39 AM
Mark and Roy....great pics...don't tell me ....Roy took them! Yep thats how it was when he stopped by with his wonderful family...he did the shooting...we just smiled. Beautiful shop and impresive work Mark. Roy you are getting around....Hows that table coming?...That looks a little like my double tenon design:rolleyes: nice execution!

John Miliunas
03-23-2006, 9:30 AM
Wow, now that looks like a good time!!! :) Mark, I'm totally envious of your shop floor, too! Wow, that looks comfy. Ahhhh yes, WW and meeting fellow Creekers...Don't get much better den dat!!! :D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
03-23-2006, 9:53 AM
.... Mark, I'm totally envious of your shop floor,.... ..

The heck with the floor, he's got running water!

You Missouri boys sure know how to do it right!

Jerry Olexa
03-23-2006, 9:57 AM
A couple of studs ( errr Studz) get together. Sorry for the lame humour. Couldn't resist.:D Like your shop, floor, plane collection etc etc. looks like a good time for 2 creekers. We used to live in Chesterfield , Mo in an earlier business life for a couple years. You have a terrific shop..

Jim Becker
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Looks like a fun time, Mark and Roy!!

Roy...free bonus avatar below...

Dave Anderson NH
03-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Looks like a great time Mark and Roy. I can see that Mark's plane storage is already too small. Of course when he drops by the LFOD auction and my place in about three weeks it's gonna get even smaller.:D Hey Roy, it looks like you've been out and about quite a bit lately.

Mark Stutz
03-23-2006, 9:07 PM
Jerry,
I don't know how long it's been since you lived in Chesterfield, but if it's more than just a few years, you wouldn't recognize the area!

Jerry Olexa
03-23-2006, 9:25 PM
Jerry,
I don't know how long it's been since you lived in Chesterfield, but if it's more than just a few years, you wouldn't recognize the area!

Mark its close to 30 years ago when I was a young pup.Then it was all new homes and traffic was still bad on all the roads and backroads in area. I had trouble getting in or out about in rush hours. When it snowed or froze, it seemed the city panicked. I also remember jogging in the 105 degree heat of summer. Again young and foolish. Overall, a nice town. We lived there about 3 years.:)

Joe Mioux
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Mark and Roy, It looks like you had a really wonderful afternoon together while the wives were butterflying it.

Jerry, Mark is correct, you wouln't recognize Highway 40, 270 /141 (Woodsmill road, etc).

I drive that area alot and it is much better.

Joe

Roy Wall
03-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Mark and Roy, It looks like you had a really wonderful afternoon together while the wives were butterflying it.

Jerry, Mark is correct, you wouln't recognize Highway 40, 270 /141 (Woodsmill road, etc).

I drive that area alot and it is much better.

Joe

I lived in South County in 1983......It seems like the traffic isn't bad at all...maybe we were just lucky! If it wasn't so cold we would have stopped at TED DREWS....killer frozen custard - a STL tradition!! We did eat "on the HILL"....

Best Highlight was at the Stutz household:) :cool: (yes - the wood floor is nice!!)

Thanks guys for all the great comments - SMC has good friends - even if we all don't ever meet!