PDA

View Full Version : Monday's rust haul

T.J. Mahaffey
03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
I took the GIT up to grandma's house on Monday and found a couple of huge antique malls on the way. (We got to grandma's much later than expected. :o )

Anyway, there wasn't much of anything at the first one, but I hit pay dirt on the second. One booth there had nothing BUT old tools and LOTS of them. I could have dropped a lot of money in that booth, but alas, the budget wasn't unlimited. I did take away:

1. The set of 4 butt chisels - $40. High, yes, but these were calling my name.
2. A #9-1/2 - $40. Not a great price, but about what I would have ended up paying via Ebay, I think.
3. A PRE-lateral #8. I've been looking for an 8 for some time. I've passed on a couple of busted ones and a late model version. I decided this one was The One. Paid $98. Not the steal of a deal I like getting, but still a good price considering its age and excellent condition.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/new_rust_3.22.jpg

At another flea market on the way home, I found the two solid Disston saws pictured above. These are the best saws I've found in ages, so I had to snag them: $7.50 each. Not really, really old ones, but still great users.

Also, a #9-1/4 at an acceptable $20.

So, all in all, I dropped quite a bit more coin on this trip than I usually do, but this group represents some key items on my want list, so I splurged a bit.

Mark Stutz
03-22-2006, 10:20 PM
T.J.,
I think ya done good! The #8 looks to be in good shape and the chisels look good--ready to go! I see a nice marking guage and spokeshave as well. The chase is half the fun!

Dave Anderson NH
03-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Hmmmm TJ, it looks like those saws were the most gloatable of the acquisitions, price wise that is. They are in really good shape and should only take a minimum of work, if any, to get them into shape. Ya done goooooood.

T.J. Mahaffey
03-23-2006, 1:26 PM
Hmmmm TJ, it looks like those saws were the most gloatable of the acquisitions, price wise that is. They are in really good shape and should only take a minimum of work, if any, to get them into shape. Ya done goooooood.
Thanks, Dave. :)
Most importantly, these saws are dead straight. I don't generally have trouble finding saws. Its just that 90% of the time they've got kinks or worse. I'll buy a good blade with a bad handle, but rarely the reverse.

harry strasil
03-25-2006, 12:48 PM
I buy the cheap warranteed ones by disston and adkins to make bow and frame saw blades. Usually only a couple of bucks. I remove handles, have the TPI I want cut in them, then file and set and then cut off the width I want with the plasma torch, sand the back smooth and deburr, then cut to lenght and drill holes. slight bending does not make much difference as they are under tension in the frame.

just my 2 ¢ worth

I did luck out once and find 2 really old Straight back Disston saws one place, one has just the name Henry Disston in an arc hand stamped on the blade, some say it is the oldest Disston they have ever seen, they were not sharpened away and are longer than modern saws. the other has a stamped keystone not an etched one. It has a very small hd stamped under the handle and there is the probability it was actually made my Henry himself. They are my pride and Joy and for $40 apiece I could not resist them.

T.J. Mahaffey
03-25-2006, 8:48 PM
I did luck out once and find 2 really old Straight back Disston saws one place, one has just the name Henry Disston in an arc hand stamped on the blade, some say it is the oldest Disston they have ever seen, they were not sharpened away and are longer than modern saws. the other has a stamped keystone not an etched one. It has a very small hd stamped under the handle and there is the probability it was actually made my Henry himself. They are my pride and Joy and for $40 apiece I could not resist them.
WOW! :eek:
That is awesome.
C'mon, man, pictures, pictures!

harry strasil
03-25-2006, 10:59 PM
They are in the bottom toolbox in the trailer right now T J, kind of inaccessable. When I get them out to demo will take pictures, sorry.