PDA

View Full Version : The Legal World Sure is funny.....

Dennis Peacock
03-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I've been involved in a legal action concerning an ex-employee of another company. I had to have my deposition taken and now, I got this 244 page transcript I have to review and correct in just 29 days!!!!! Don't they know that I KNOW what I said? Even spent 1-1/2 hours going over my college education and past work. Once I mentioned that I was an ex-expolosives expert, the lawyer "quickly" moved on.!!! :rolleyes: :D

One wants to prove your testimony is good and valid and the other wants to prove you're an idiot and haven't a clue what you are talking about. Sheesh!!!!

Tony Sade
03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Dennis:

I sure can't comment on the underlying litigation or what took place in your deposition, but trust me (says the lawyer :D) you want to double check what the court reporter produced. In my experience the quality of the reporter and the resulting transcription can be all over the map. Some transcripts come out darn near perfect others have up to several errors on every page. The situation is made worse by the use of voice recognition software that doesn't do a very good job of recognizing most of the English language. I often find myself laughing (and then crying because of the work involved in correcting a transcript) at some of the things I'm alleged to have said. The things are usually double spaced-it shouldn't take you too long to go through it. Enjoy!

Curt Fuller
03-22-2006, 11:21 PM
All I know about the law is what I've learned from reading John Grisham books. But from that, watch out for suspicous looking vans parked outside your house, beautiful women that seem attracted to you for no reason, and piles of $100 dollar bills with rubber bands around them.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Whew Curt! I've got no worries!:o :D

Frank Chaffee
03-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Dennis,
After you proof read your deposition for them, submit a bill for your services.
Frank

Cecil Arnold
03-23-2006, 12:16 AM
I never minded reading them at $80 per hour. Paid for my MM16 that way.

Lee DeRaud
03-23-2006, 1:43 AM
I never minded reading them at $80 per hour. Paid for my MM16 that way.Snort...took me three passes through that before I noticed there were two "M"s in front of the "16".
My mind is obviously in a different place tonight.:rolleyes:

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 3:12 AM
Snort...took me three passes through that before I noticed there were two "M"s in front of the "16".
My mind is obviously in a different place tonight.:rolleyes: Same dog bit me, but it only took me two passes. ;) I've always wondered about you, Lee. I've wondered about me, too. :p

Don't feel bad...my mind is usually someplace different all the time. Never quite figured out exactly where, but it's different alright.

Dennis, the one time I did a deposition the court reporter sure was dilligent about catching every "Uh..." or "Umm..." that I started a sentence with. :o I did find factual errors when I proof-read the depo though, so I echo the suggestion to proof yours thoroughly.

- Vaughn

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-23-2006, 11:10 AM
"legal action concerning an ex-employee of another company"

Sounds like it's not your lawsuit. Sounds like you are a witness. Yes? Is so your reviewing the transcript is done not from any obligation or duty but wholly at the interest of the party making the request. So then: Do you care enough to trouble yourself?

"But Mr Depo-Witness, the other side will claim you are not telling the truth." Trying to appeal to your sence of honor.

Depo-Witness: "Who cares? That's what they are supposed to say."
Get it ???

In short as a mere witness you don't have any reason to care at all what one side or the other thinks or says about your Depo. So revuiewing the transcript is a thing you ought to charge for. Tell the lazy bum, who handed it to you to do it herself. She was there, she's a lawyer, let her earn her money.

Unless of course you have an interest in the outcome. If you have money, friends, family, etc., that may be adversely affected you may want to do as asked. With "may" being the operant word.

Depositions suggests there is a jury. That means no judge will be placing findings on witness credibility oin the record.

Dave Fifield
03-23-2006, 9:36 PM
I would send it back, unmarked and unsigned, with a note that says that this is NOT what transpired/was said and ask them to do it over. :D

Dave F.

Walt Pater
03-24-2006, 8:52 PM
One wants to prove your testimony is good and valid and the other wants to prove you're an idiot and haven't a clue what you are talking about. Sheesh!!!!

When did you meet my in-laws, Dennis?