PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster Dive treasure...

Greg Koch
03-22-2006, 9:37 PM
I have been stopping behind our local Fred Meyer Store and picking up a few things they toss out. I got 6 chromed racks with movable dividers for me, a treadmill that had only a few cracks in plastic parts and complete "some assembly/finishing required" cabinet with only a trashed box for my neighbor, and 14 storage units, also for me. Here are the units, used to display/hold cabinet hardware. I got the hardware too, but only 1 of each!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_IMG_2518.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/IMG_2518.jpg)

I like freebies....

Tyler Howell
03-22-2006, 9:52 PM
One of my former past times. Love that DD.
This one was a double back summi.
Congrats;)

Brad Townsend
03-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Are you saying your neighbor got the treadmill? Too bad. Could be all sorts of uses for a variable speed motor, rollers, etc.? Home built drum sander perhaps? I would have a lot of fun parting one of those things out to see what I could make from it, but that's just me.:D

Julio Navarro
03-23-2006, 8:14 AM
Brad!! what a great idea!! But..forget the motor, use one of those self propelled treadmills...I could rig it up so I can sand a few board feet while the wife runs a few miles!! A variation on the squirel cage concept..hmmm

Mike Cutler
03-23-2006, 8:42 AM
Gotta be careful about "dumpster diving" it can be habit forming.

It can also be illegal.

I got arrested at the Payless Department Store, in Diamond Bar California, in 1973 for "Malicious Mischief" aka.. "dumpster diving".

When my dad came to pick me up, I thought he was gonna kill me. By the look on his face I know that he thought I had been shoplifting.
When he found out that we had been arrested for digging in the trash. He tried to act like the "stern parent", but I could tell that I would live another day.
When we got outside the store he started laughing at us, and shaking his head, and told us to go home and stay out of the trash.

For the next few years, he would tell his friends the story of his "stupid kid" that got arrested for "dumpster diving", and still laugh every time he told someone the story.

Nice score on the "dumpster diving" . I've had a few good scores since I was 13. Too bad Dad isn't around to share them with.

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 11:13 AM
ooohh. Nice dive!!

Bruce Wrenn
03-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Dumpster hauls- Craftsman 10" CI radial saw, Delta Contractor saw, several air compressors, Delta 1" belt sander, torpedo heaters, never bought a lawn mower in my life. Local county currently will prosocute for DD, but next county will sell a DD permit for ten bucks for a year. By buying a permit you enter into a legally binding agreement that says YOU ARE ASSUMING ALL RISKS. Oh yeah, a Rudd 2 ton condensing unit, less than two years old.

Don Stanley
03-24-2006, 1:06 AM
Hey Greg,
I found http://home.comcast.net/~kc7cn/dumpsterdresser/ in a dumpster located in Bothell, Washington, about 15 miles north of Redmond. I couldn't find the right leg, but didn't have the heard to let a nice old antique go to the landfill.

-Don

Greg Koch
03-24-2006, 1:28 AM
WOW, Don....

Great find, and a super restore! Looks just like new. BTW, I used to work in Brothel...:eek: er Bothel...a long time ago. :D

Where are you in Issaquah? I took my sister and BIL to Gilman village last weekend and checked out the Amish furniture showroom... not that impressed, though. I live up on Union Hill (Redmond) off of Redmond/Fall City Road.

Bill Lewis
03-24-2006, 7:19 AM
Ahhh, dumpster diving. I've had to pass by quite a few good finds, cause my wife just won't let me. I can be a pack-rat at times and i know I have to watch it.
I get so jealous of the guys that work at the county "beauty spot". They get the pick of the litter, literally! They don't allow household waste at the beuty spot. The guys always have piles of treasures set aside.

Don Stanley
03-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Greg, We (LOMY I) currenlty live in an apartment on the South end of town, near Newport Way and Sunset. No shop here! Bummer!:mad: This is temporary, we're looking for a house in Yakima -- I will retire as soon as we find it.

Back to the dumpster topic. I picked up some broken solid-oak, furniture, waiting to be tossed into the big hydraulic compactor. All I could see was $$$ per board foot:) . Also a couple of un-damaged solid-oak end tables.

Michael Gibbons
03-26-2006, 4:10 PM
Isn't it something to be a criminal for recycling? I wish they would get their priorities straight.