PDA

View Full Version : Past weeks travels and...remembering 9/11

Brad Schmid
03-22-2006, 9:31 PM
I've not been able to get time because of traveling (work :( ) to read what everybody has been doing here for the last week or so, so I have alot of catching up to do. I thought I'd share some photos though before I start.

First, I spent an enjoyable 6 days in Paris last week. Too bad I don't know of any SMCer's there, so I had to go it on my own. Went to the Louvre on Saturday, not much in the way of woodworking of course, but the 5000 yr old Egyption pottery section was enough to get the creative turning juices flowing:) Of course I had to see all the usual popular stuff like the Eiffel Tower, Obelisk, Arc de Triomphe, etc; so here's a few shots:
(continued in second post)

Brad Schmid
03-22-2006, 9:47 PM
After returning home from Paris on Sunday, I got 2 days with my family, then off to lower Manhattan (work again:( ) this morning for 3 days. I booked a hotel next to the WTC site to see what 4 1/2 yrs has brought. It's good to come and remember what happened and remember those who lost their lives, and the heroes that performed so admirably on that memorable day. So here are some pics for everyone to ponder... I know I will never forget where I was at or what I was doing...

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Brad.........Sounds like a great trip! When we retire, I'd like to take the LOML to those places....

9/11..........I was still sleeping on the livingroom floor recovering from a broken back.....watching Imus in the Morning on MSNBC. Called the LOML into the livingroom to see the 1st plane.....watched the 2nd.......

Desert Storm...radio station interrupted the music to announce the Ground War had begun......I pulled off the highway on the way home from Moscow Idaho....pulled into a ranchers lane.....Oldest son was 30 miles south of Iraq and 60 miles west of Kuwait....Big Red 1....I cried......wife went to his ex's apartment........took his then very young daughter .........rocked in a rocking chair..........

Some things, places and events you never forget!

Excellent trip! Congrats!

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 3:40 AM
...9/11..........I was still sleeping on the livingroom floor recovering from a broken back..
Interestingly, I was laying in a hospital with a broken back that morning myself. (Cue the Twilight Zone music...) LOML called me and asked me if I was watching TV (I wasn't). Spent another couple weeks in the hospital, seeing nothing but replays of every piece of related news footage, but I didn't really see the impact 9/11 had on everybody until I was riding home, and saw all the US flags waving.

Brad, having been to Paris for a week to give two 1-hour presentations years ago, I envy your opportunity to go there on the company's dime. It's an interesting place to play tourist. So is Manhattan, but I've not had the chance to go there since Spring of 2000.

- Vaughn