PDA

View Full Version : Need Cherry Lumber

john lawson
08-12-2003, 10:59 AM
I am getting prepared to start a long range project of building multiple pieces of cherry furniture for my daughter. I will need to buy several hundred board feet and need some advice on sources and pricing I should expect. I have a planer so rough cut is OK. I will nedd 4/4 as well as 6/4 or 8/4.

I live in Birmingham Alabama and I am recently retired, so I can spend some time searching out sources and being somewhat patient. I also have the luxury of driving 50 or a hundred miles to pick it up at the convenience of the seller.

Any help, advise, or names of sources would be appreciated.

thanks

john lawson ;)

Joe Tonich
08-12-2003, 11:25 AM
I am getting prepared to start a long range project of building multiple pieces of cherry furniture for my daughter. I will need to buy several hundred board feet and need some advice on sources and pricing I should expect. I have a planer so rough cut is OK. I will nedd 4/4 as well as 6/4 or 8/4.

I live in Birmingham Alabama and I am recently retired, so I can spend some time searching out sources and being somewhat patient. I also have the luxury of driving 50 or a hundred miles to pick it up at the convenience of the seller.

Any help, advise, or names of sources would be appreciated.

thanks

john lawson ;)

John,

PM Ken Salsbury. He is in Huntsville. He would know sources in the 'Bama area. Just find his site in "members".

Joe

Tom Sweeney
08-12-2003, 11:44 AM
It's reported that some of the Wise Guys in Ken's 'Bama Mafia have hundreds of thousands of BF of beautifull Lumber sitting in sheds all over the state ;) However they won't meet you face to face & all deals have to be made at 2:00 A.M. - Cash only small bills non-consecutive serial numbers - in a deserted field which you will be brought to blind folded :D

These are just rumors & the names have been changed to protect the guilty ;)

Seriously Ken should be able to hook you up with a good source - Check out the plate he made out of some gorgeouse curly cherry he bought for a song. it's a few posts down.