PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #38 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-22-2006, 7:39 PM
Wednesday March 22nd, 2006

Here's another update. Haven't been any because I don't know how to post paint drying. :o ;) :D That's about all that has happened since last Friday. Two coats of semi gloss white paint have been applied as of Tuesday 3/21/06.
Here's a shot of the paint and knock down texture. The picture doesn't do it justice. This is one of the best knock down texture jobs I've ever seen and I've seen a bunch going back to SoCal and Vegas.

As for today, Wednesday, it was a busy one. The painters were back and got all the trim painted with one coat of paint. It's all in the basement for the trimmers to install next week. The painters will be back tomorrow to paint all the windows.

Norm the electrician was in to get more lights and outlets fired up for the installers of the floor and trim. He'll be back tomorrow to get some more powered up before the trimmers come in Friday.

The doors were delivered yesterday and while they were supposed to be painted, I've decided, and SWMBO has concurred that they should be varnished only.
They are paint grade, but are all birch and have very nice grain patterns. We [even the painters] think they'll look really nice with a varnish.

Then the flooring was delivered today about 10 AM. WOW! There sure is a lot of boxes of flooring. Here's a shot of the cork, which will go in the kitchen.
I can already tell that it's going to be a great floor for standing on while I prep and cook.

Also found out today the cabinets will be delivered Friday. The installers will start Friday instead of Monday. They do the cabinets, floors and all the trim work. From everything I've heard from all the other subs, these guys are good. They should be done by no later than the end of next week. The guys for the counter tops are scheduled to measure Monday.

The excavator came over today to get some of the grading done for the deck and the front entry way. Looks like we will have a deck and sidewalk up to the front door for when we move in. YIPPEEE!!! :) The front entry has posed some real challenges as far as grading and will look somewhat strange when completed, but it will be totally wheel chair accessible, which was my goal. I'll get some pics of that tomorrow after the mason gives me his ideas for a retaining wall.

It is really coming together now and after next week we will be down to the final stages. It's really getting exciting and even more stressful thinking about moving again. UGH! :( I hate moving and for someone who hates it as much as me, I've done more than my fair share. This should be the last move though.

Should be another update no later than Friday showing some cabinets and flooring installed. :D

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Don Baer
03-22-2006, 7:59 PM
Great Progress Karl. Looks like you'll be in by Easter with no problem..

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 3:44 AM
Looking good, Karl. I stared at the drying paint pic for about 15 minutes, just to replicate your experience there. :p Sounds like you've had a great bunch of subs on this job.

- Vaughn

Jerry Olexa
03-23-2006, 9:52 AM
Karl: every day brings you closer to "move in". Moving is no fun but part of the process. I hope all continues to go well. :) Now, where is the shop errrr house??

Tyler Howell
03-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Rock on Karl.:cool:

Joe Pelonio
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Karl,

Watching paint dry is actually very relaxing, wish I had time for it.

Let us know how that cork floor works out, I've considered it but am a little worried about whether the dogs running around will scratch it.

John Miliunas
03-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Hmmmm...So you're still going with a kitchen for the shop, huh??? Oh well, to each his own. Guess it'll be nice to grab a snack while working on the latest project but, think of all the machine room that takes up!!! :D I will say, though, the cork would be nice on the feet! You going with cork in the rest of the shop, too??? :confused: :D :cool:

Jim Becker
03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
I like the cork floor for the kitchen....'can't wait to see it in place!