PDA

View Full Version : Wood Haul Gloat

Helen Gee
03-22-2006, 7:11 PM
We came across an ad on Craiglist for a guy who wants to unload his huge quantities of maple to make more space in his warehouse. 50 cents a BF!!! :eek: :D So the hubby and I took the morning off, rented a van, and drove an hour north of us to pick some up.

We helped him haul away half a pallet. Wanted more but we don't have much space in our garage. Also picked up some birdseye maple for $4/bf.

Don Baer
03-22-2006, 7:12 PM
Super Gloat. I love working with Maple. Wish I was closer, I'd help him get rid of a bunch more..

tod evans
03-22-2006, 7:13 PM
helen, nice score!!!!.02 tod

Jim Becker
03-22-2006, 9:37 PM
Helen...a true score!! Nice!!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2006, 9:39 PM
I usually save the word "Wow" for great projects but this is such a score.......................WOW!

Mark Singer
03-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Great price! Wish I had Craig List down here

Ted Jay
03-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Great price! Wish I had Craig List down here

Mark, you do. The closest city you can choose in your area: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

Brett Baldwin
03-23-2006, 12:29 AM
You just have to love a deal like that.

Helen Gee
03-23-2006, 12:54 AM
:D hoping to make lots of cool goodies, for now, must concentrate on in-laws wedding anniversary present :eek: got 2 weekends to complete, will post more pics

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 1:10 AM
Two weekends to use up all that wood? You'd better get busy! :p Nice haul, and great price. I need to start browsing craigslist a bit more often.

- Vaughn

Helen Gee
03-23-2006, 2:13 AM
hehe, nah, not to use all this wood. we already have a project in mind, wooden picture frame thingie with some walnut we got earlier.

Todd Woodward
03-23-2006, 9:28 AM
what section do you look under to find lumber? I look occasionally but never see any.

Mark Singer
03-23-2006, 9:32 AM
Mark, you do. The closest city you can choose in your area: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

Thanks Ted!
Mark

Jerry Olexa
03-23-2006, 10:01 AM
You shoulkd be arrested for robbery. Great haul!

Jason Tuinstra
03-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Very nice! And some birds eye as well... good for you!

John Miliunas
03-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Awesome haul, Helen at a super price! :) That should keep you busy for a little bit! :D :cool:

Alan DuBoff
04-06-2006, 4:49 AM
We came across an ad on Craiglist for a guy who wants to unload his huge quantities of maple to make more space in his warehouse.Helen, I must thank you for posting this, and for giving me the link in email. I was up in Santa Rosa today and visited Woodpressions...I hope you're sitting down when you read this...;-)

:eek: ... :rolleyes:

I just finished moving most of it into my office/shed.

That is a LOT of wood...I am so thankful. I don't normally check this forum too often, but just happened to look just after you posted the thread.

I have a lot of things I want to build, and I have plenty of wood to make furniture for my kids, wife/me, and family room. I had some birdseye in the palletes. Since I bought the entire palletes, Ken didn't pick them out. He just loaded them on with a fork lift, it took about 20 mintues.

Maple is going to be very popular for furniture at our house! :D

Helen Gee
04-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Holy cow!!! :eek: :D maybe I'll need to drop by some time to pick some up from you if you don't mind when I run out :D or from Ken :D

I just finished using 2 boards to make the in-laws present, I'll post pics later, but it looks like I'm allergic to the wood :confused: :( Have rash mostly on arm but also all over.

Have fun with the wood and definitely post pics of your projects

Alan DuBoff
04-06-2006, 4:06 PM
Holy cow!!! :eek: :D maybe I'll need to drop by some time to pick some up from you if you don't mind when I run out :D or from Ken :D Even though I didn't buy it to sell, I would sell YOU some!;) Any of substantial size should be gotten from Ken. He said he'll have more in October. He still has a few palletes.

I just finished using 2 boards to make the in-laws present, I'll post pics later, but it looks like I'm allergic to the wood :confused: :( Have rash mostly on arm but also all over.Remember that some of the pieces are spalted and/or ambrosia, because they pick anything out with any type of grain, figure, or other...

There was another thread here on SMC talking about the dust from spalted maple.

There is definitely spalted wood in my stuff. I've seen some worm holes also.

I'm not sure if it would be safe to just wash it all with borates or not. It's something to consider. I'm not sure if powder post beatles like maple or not. They must since maple has a lot of sugar in it. Candy for bugs! :eek: (BTW, this holds true for all wood :(

I put one board outside that looked like it had some type of mold on it. I figure the sun will comfy it maybe...but more likely the rain will promote it.;-)

I'll know if I'm allergic to it or not, it's sitting next to my desk.;-)