PDA

View Full Version : Jet's new 10 inch Supersaw table saw ...

John Snyder
08-12-2003, 10:16 AM
this one looks like a winner.

http://www.jettools.com/JETWood/ProductPreview/JWSS-10.html

Its the closest thing to a 110 Volt cabinet saw I've seen. Its got the biggest motor (1-3/4 HP) in the contractors saw market; has the widest base & most weight of any contractors saw; the motor actually sits INSIDE the saw - doesn't hang out the back; improved blade guard; adjustment wheels are full cabinet saw size & located in the position one would find them on a cabinet saw. Also, Jet offers the saw WITHOUT the sliding miter gauge assembly, which is what I'd prefer. I've never seen the mechanism in person & know the trunnions couldn't be as beefy as a cabinet saw, but I'd imagine a step up from a contractors saw - maybe not, anybody know ? The only detractor I see may be its fence ... I wish they offered a Beisenmeyer type as an option, as opposed to a lightweight extruded aluminum fence (as I said, haven't had my hands on one yet - maybe the fence is adequate).

I'd like to get opinions on this saw from those more knowledgeable than I (nevermind the sliding table, as I've got too many miter gauge slot jigs that I couldn't use & am too set in my ways to go with that sliding table).

It just seems like a winner in the 110 volt table saw market & the price is $899 without the sliding table, which isn't much more than most contractors saws with cast iron wings (PS - I'm a one car garage shop & not into wiring for 220 V, so the Griz cabinet saw for the same money is not a consideration ...) Thanks

JS

Mike Schwing
08-12-2003, 10:33 AM

JS
John, I was intrigued by this one as well. It was brand new at the time I was in the market for a saw. I wish I could recall where it was, but I distinctly recall reading a less than favorable review of this saw, and that it was a good compromise of a cabinet saw and a contractor's saw but lacked the finer points of both. Darned I wish I could recall where I read that review. I was bummed out as I had the 110v issue as well and a 500lb cabinet saw was going to be tough to get OUT of the basement. Gravity would help get it in, but not out.

So that you don't call me a cabinet saw snob (saw the post on WoodCentral), I won't tell you which saw I went with. ;)

One thing I will say, even though I too have lots of jigs that use that mitre saw slot, I wish I had a sliding table more than I'm glad I can still use those jigs.

Mike

Scott Coffelt
08-12-2003, 5:02 PM
I will say first off that I do own a cabinet saw (1023S). I have looked at this saw in the store, but I really wonder if you do get much for the price. Yes the idea of having the motor inside is a plus, but a good contractors type can be sealed to act the same. If I was to buy this saw the one major selling point would be the slider. From what I can tell it is pretty much the same thing as the Dewalt. As far as motor, my 1 1/2hp with a good blade cut anything I threw at it, so the extra 1/4hp IMHO doesn't buy you much.

Good Luck.

Jim Becker
08-12-2003, 5:09 PM
Jet introduced this saw a year ago at the IWF show in Atlanta. To date, I've seen mixed comments from folks, especially with regard to the fence. You either love it or not; same deal with the Dewalt 746 which is a comparable machine. It's important to remember that this tool is still a "contractor's style saw" relative to its trunion design, despite the location of the motor...at a hefty price. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that's bad if it meets your needs, but for similar money, you can buy a real cabinet saw, especially when you add the cost of the accessories, etc. Yes, there is the 240v circuit to deal with, but then again, it might be worth it in the long run.

Noah Alkinburgh
08-12-2003, 5:16 PM
but I thought you could get the 1023 Grizz and run it at 120??? I am guessing that I am wrong about this...

scott spencer
08-12-2003, 5:59 PM
Griz does offer a 110V cabinet model, but it's only 2HP. I think it's model 1023S110 or something along those lines. It's priced pretty reasonably....in the low $800s if memory serves.

scott spencer
08-12-2003, 6:09 PM
Hi John - I'm of the opinion that this saw is overpriced for what it offers. Just about every other saw I can think of in this price range offers a top notch fence, and I don't think you can add a better fence to the SS. The Jet slider is fairly small too....A slider can be added to alot of saws...doesn't necessarily have to be the Jet. Many owners do like the SS, but I wonder how much more they may have liked a comparably priced alternative. I'm don't think many of the hybrids would suit my needs, but if I were to buy one I think the DeWalt's fence and miter gauge are superior to the Jet's. Do the homework and check every saw in the price range carefully. (I literally used a spreadsheet)

Good thing it's a free country....now you get to go out and buy whatever your heart desires!

p.s. Jim's suggestion to rethink 220V installation is a good one. It's not that difficult to do yourself or with a knowledgeable buddy, and not overly expensive to hire it done in most cases.

Wayne Johnson
08-12-2003, 6:15 PM

I also looked long and hard at Jet's supersaw about 6 months ago when I was ready to purchase a table saw. Yes, there are a lot of pros and cons, but one of the biggest cons is the fence. I've tinkered with it in person and I was not impressed. I also read lots of bad reviews about the fence as well. Ultimately it was the fence on the Jet that made me decide to get a Shop Fox cabinet saw and run 220 V to my garage.

Now why do you supose that Jet would put such a bad fence on an otherwise impressive saw? They lost one customer over it - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Wayne

Jim Becker
08-12-2003, 8:30 PM
Griz does offer a 110V cabinet model, but it's only 2HP. I think it's model 1023S110 or something along those lines. It's priced pretty reasonably....in the low $800s if memory serves.

Yea, but it requires you to install a 30 amp 120v circuit...which will cost the same as installing a 20 amp 240v circuit!

Mike Schwing
08-12-2003, 9:42 PM
I looked at this saw tonight at Woodcraft a little more closely since it was being discussed here (and elsewhere). That sliding table is extremely nice, it has not a mm of slop in its movement. It was very impressive, to me anyway. For the life of me, I cannot understand why they would not put a mitre slot in that slider, it looked so simple. The blade guard is a wash between the two, and as for fences, well, I threw away the fence that came with my Jet cabinet saw anyway in favor of a more precise system.

The footprint is that of the cabinet saw, so you're not getting anything there. Dust collection would be better on the cab saw as well, and you'd have more juice.

I know you don't want "buy the cabinet saw" but it sure seems like nobody can give you many good reasons not to! (sorry)

Noah Alkinburgh
08-13-2003, 9:11 AM
John,

If your biggest detractor in going cabinet saw is the 220V at least look at <a href="http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1023S110"> the Griz 1023 110v model </a> It has a higher horsepower motor and right now has a better price than the jet. Might be something to at least consider.

Now if there are other reasons, space, mobility, etc. then this might not be a good option. If you already knew about this then I am sorry to have muddied the water.

Noah

Jim Becker
08-13-2003, 9:15 AM
If your biggest detractor in going cabinet saw is the 220V at least look at <a href="http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1023S110"> the Griz 1023 110v model </a> It has a higher horsepower motor and right now has a better price than the jet. Might be something to at least consider.

Again, he still needs to have a circuit installed as you need a 30 amp 120v circuit for that particular machine. (Read the specs on the Grizzly site) There would be no point in staying with 120v when you have to put in a circuit anyway!

John Snyder
08-13-2003, 9:44 AM
Thanks much fellas ... seems like I need to reconsider the need for a 220 V saw - didn't want to go there, but all youze can't be wrong ...

JS