PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those projects...

Ken Pywell
03-22-2006, 5:59 PM
that, mentally, you are not in to. For the past many weeks I have been trying to put together a desk for my son. Nothing fancy, frame and panel - a couple of drawers, no problem, right? My last one was done in a week. Well, you would think it was the first day of shop class. The top is cupped. Mortises on the wrong side of the leg. Pieces cut short. Progress was measured in fixing mistakes rather than assembly.
So, I finally threw in the towel and went out and bought him a nice birch desk. It's frustrating to have every silly little tool at hand and not be able to have a finished product. I will try and salvage what I can and make something of the wood. A boat maybe... a boat, and I will call her Titanic! Just have to clear the 'ol head, I guess!
Ken

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I've been there a couple times...:(

Tom Spallone
03-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Uh, you mean people have projects that DON'T go like that?

Gary Breckenridge
03-23-2006, 2:07 AM
:mad: Yeah, I've been there. Some of my total screw ups make nice kindling. Monday I had two screws break off in a finished product. Today I had a clamp slip off a glue up when I wasn't looking. Some of my total flubs I refer to as prototypes. Didn't Ford make the Edsel ? I design everything that I make so its all mine. :rolleyes: When its all said and done some fine projects come out of my shop.

tod evans
03-23-2006, 7:12 AM
ken, knowing how to fix mistakes is part of woodworking, the best part is after 25-30 yrs you`ll see mistakes in things you once thought where perfect. it`s the beauty of the trade/hoby that a person can spend their whole life building furniture and never master all of the aspects..02 tod

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-23-2006, 7:26 AM
Yeah, I've been there, frustrating as all get out.

I often walk away from it and do something entirely different, and then come back to it. Maybe we think it through too much?

SOme of you guys are lucky to have a wood burning stove, you can hide your mistakes that way :rolleyes: :D

I've got to chop mine up into short pieces and then put them on the curb for the world to wonder at..... :o

Cheers!

Mark Pruitt
03-23-2006, 7:53 AM
I'll have days sometimes when I just have this "feeling" or whatever--just a sense that if I try to work in my shop today, I am going to screw something up royally. I hate those premonitions but I usually find something else to do when it happens. Funny, the things our minds can do.
Mark

Julio Navarro
03-23-2006, 8:10 AM
I am there now!

I am trying to weld a sheet metal break but there is one, ONE, ...just ONE!! small weld that just wont hold...Its frustrating as all get out.

Stu, you know one of those hinge pins...well, the right side one just wouldnt weld correctly.

I've been at it for 4 days now, finally have it firm and holding.

But. Mark, I know wence you speak of, my friend.

larry merlau
03-23-2006, 8:15 AM
ken, knowing how to fix mistakes is part of woodworking, the best part is after 25-30 yrs you`ll see mistakes in things you once thought where perfect. it`s the beauty of the trade/hoby that a person can spend their whole life building furniture and never master all of the aspects..02 tod
i would have second tods motion, just tore off some wallpaper for the other half and saw some distressing mistakes, that once were hidin and during this remodel have found others, that like tod said were good work pryor to now. fortunatly, we all can tap into the wisdom of others on here for some help in the learnun process.:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-23-2006, 8:35 AM
I am there now!

I am trying to weld a sheet metal break but there is one, ONE, ...just ONE!! small weld that just wont hold...Its frustrating as all get out.

Stu, you know one of those hinge pins...well, the right side one just wouldnt weld correctly.

I've been at it for 4 days now, finally have it firm and holding.

But. Mark, I know wence you speak of, my friend.
Simple solution Julio, just turn the brake around so the right side is now the left side...... :D

Basic rule #1 in welding is...........????

I'ts got to be clean, bare metal, clean, clean, clean!

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
03-23-2006, 8:40 AM
DOH!! why dint I think of that!

I am being very carefull with preparing the metal and making sure its all clean, I just think I need more practice. I am enjoying it immesly though. Something about having the power to melt solid steel while wearing a manly type helmet and breathing filter that makes you sound like Luke's father that gets the blood going.

I will definatly make sure all metal is nice and bare, Stu, thanks for the invaluable advice.