View Full Version : Latex Wood Filler- Help

Reed Wells
03-22-2006, 5:25 PM
Can someone recommend a good quality latex based wood filler? I currently use Zar, and am very happy with the results. It's fast drying and works with the water based poly I use. The only problem is they only have two colors. One works for me but I need something a little darker at times. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Reed

Jim Becker
03-22-2006, 5:27 PM
Are you referring to grain filler?? (I've only used the Behlins paste wood filler and then only once)

Reed Wells
03-22-2006, 5:50 PM
Are you referring to grain filler?? (I've only used the Behlins paste wood filler and then only once)
No Jim, I use a lot of knotty pine for my furniture tops. And an occasional check in a knot will need to be filled. I use 8/4 stock and at times in the end grain, it will get a hairline check that I will fill. Is that Behlins filler you mentioned a latex? Thanks, Reed

Jim Becker
03-22-2006, 5:54 PM
I don't know the formula of the Behlins product, but it would not be appropriate for what you want to do. I generally use wood scraps for filling cracks, "unintentional design/execution" issues, and so forth. I'd probably use tinted epoxy for filling knot holes, etc.

Steve Clardy
03-22-2006, 6:01 PM
I use famowood. Lots of color selections. Two different can sizes.
They have a lacquer base, which I use, and a waterbase.
Waterbase doesn't dry very fast, so I do not use it.

Brett Baldwin
03-22-2006, 6:14 PM
If it is latex based then you should be to use the universal colorants you can find at the hardware store to tint it to whatever color you'd like. Burnt Umber and/or Raw Umber would be my choice for darker wood tones.