PDA

View Full Version : Delta 12" BS220LS band saw

Tim Solley
03-22-2006, 3:19 PM
Hi everyone, I've been looking to get a band saw for some time now. I have a project coming up that will require some curves. I was at Costco today and saw a Delta 12" band saw, model number BS220LS. I really don't know much about it, and thought I'd see if anyone has any experience with this saw. I don't want the top of the line saw, nor do I want a bench top model. I just want something that I can do some of the basics with.
Any input is much appreciated! Thanks!
Tim

Kent Fitzgerald
03-22-2006, 6:01 PM
Hi, Tim, and welcome

I'm not too familiar with that saw, but it appears to be going for close to $400 on the web, which IMO is too much for that size saw. Unless it's much cheaper at Costco (closer to $200), I don't think it's a very good deal.

The limitation of 12" bandsaws is that there's usually no way to upgrade the vertical cutting capacity, whereas most 14" saws will accept a riser block for 12" of resaw capacity. For $425, you could get a Grizzly G0555 14" saw, which is well regarded and has potential for future upgrades.

If you just want a saw for curve cutting in thin materials, a less expensive 9" or 10" saw would do. I had a modest 9" Ryobi benchtop saw that served me well for a few years. I paid $100, yard-saled it for $55, and feel that I got my money's worth. The 10" Rikon saw sold by Woodcraft also looks good.

Vaughn McMillan
03-22-2006, 7:31 PM
Hi Tim, and welcome to SMC. You've started down one of woodworking's more notorious slippery slopes. I agree with Kent...I think you can get a comparable or better saw for less than I think the Delta costs. (I'm basing this assumption on the listed price for that saw at Amazon. If Costco has it around $200, it might be worth considering.) For about $300 you can get the new 12" Craftsman (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00922400000&tab=spe#tab), which sure looks like a lot of saw for the money. Don Baer used his to good results here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26546). Also, as Kent mentioned, the little Rikon benchtop has gotten good reviews here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25527), and it's even lower in price. (I realize you said you didn't want a benchtop, but I figured I'd toss that in anyway.) Take these suggestions with a grain of salt, since I've not seen the Delta saw in person. (I do own a Delta "Shopmaster" drill press and planer, so I have experience with that line of Delta products.)

Of course, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself now that you don't need it, somewhere along the way you'll quite likely want something bigger and stronger. If at all financially possible, I'd suggest considering getting something in the 14" range now, because eventually you'll probably be going there anyway. I started out looking at the 12" Craftsman to replace a cheapie benchtop bandsaw that just wasn't cutting it (pun intended), then allowed myself to be talked into a 14" Shop Fox w/riser kit by a bunch of Creekers who have nothing better to do than spend other peoples' money. ;). I have absolutely no regrets for going bigger than originally planned (thanks, guys), and have already made use of the additional capacity.

HTH -

- Vaughn

Tim Solley
03-23-2006, 2:18 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I'm glad I asked before buying impulsively. I've always had the philosophy of carefully considering all purchases, and getting the most tool I can get, not skimping on quality. I was feeling like I would be skimping. That guy feeling that I wouldn't be happy with the purchase in the end.

I went ahead and ordered the Grizzly 14" "Ultimate" band saw this morning. The Delta was $199 at Costco, and the Grizzly was $495 shipped. I had the money, so it's fine. I'm sure I'll be pleased I made the switch once I start using the machine. I'm about to start on my first baby's dresser and it's LOTS of curves. Even the drawer fronts are curved. It should be nice and ambitious for a newbie like myself.

My shop now has all the needed major tools! Yippee!

Thanks everyone! Tim

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 2:25 PM

Thanks everyone! Tim

:eek: Oh No he realy didn't say that did he...

Cant happen never in a million years..;)

Bill Lewis
03-23-2006, 3:07 PM
Tim,
I think you made the right choice. Remember you have to post pictures when the new one arrives!

I was going to chime in earlier, just didn't have the time. I too bought a Delta 12" BS when a local home store was going out of business. It was heavily discounted, and I thought it was a decent saw. Well it was a decent saw, but it was just so limited I outgrew it almost immediately.

When we sold our last house, I was able to sell it for what I paid for it (but I threw in a bunch of blades), but better still, I bought a new special edition Delta 14" that went straight in to storage until the new house was built. I rationalized that it was easier to store the saw in boxes, than move the other one. Little did I know that it would stay in storage for 2.5 years (long bad building story).

Kent Fitzgerald
03-23-2006, 5:36 PM
Ha! So we sucessfully convinced you to spend 2.5x more than you originally intended! :D

Seriously, even though the Delta 12" at $200 would be a fair deal, you will be happier in the long run with a 14" saw. A bud of mine has the Griz G0555 and is very happy with it. About the only negative I've ever heard is that the original blade isn't great, so I'd suggest picking up a better replacement.

Tim Solley
03-23-2006, 5:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Solley

Thanks everyone! Tim

Oh No he realy didn't say that did he...

Cant happen never in a million years..

Ha! Well, I had to say that in case my wife was watching. I've been on a bit of a buying spree lately. I have to ease her in to more purchases. With a baby on the way and baby furniture to build, it's been the perfect opportunity to fill in the shop. In the last month, I've bought:

Delta 6" Stationary Jointer
Delta 13" 2 Speed Finishing Planer
Grizzly 14" Band Saw :-)
Harbor Freight 2HP Dust Collector plus hoses & fittings
Various router bits
Incra 1000SE miter gauge

:D It's been a good month for the inner tool monster

Tim

glenn bradley
03-23-2006, 5:50 PM
I have a 12" Craftsman tha I picked up on the cheap when I first got back into WW. It's a servicable tool but in a COMPLETELY different class than a good 14"-and-up (or as some folks call them "REAL") bandsaw. I think you made the right choice. We all run into those situations where we must decide to get it for a little (or a lot) less or get it ONCE!

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 6:00 PM
Congrats, and way to go, Tim. Sounds like you've had a good month for tool-buying. I'm sure you'll be happy with the G0555. As Kent mentioned, you'll want to immediately put a decent blade on it. You'll probably want a few blades for different applications. Lots of good blade recommendations if you search SMC a bit. Fortunately, bandsaw blades are not a real expensive proposition, so buying a few isn't too painful.

(Have you got the web page for the Riser Block bookmarked?) ;)

- Vaughn