PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted: Machinery selection quandry

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-22-2006, 1:10 PM
Opinions sought. Even strident ones.
<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
I’m considering plopping a wad of cash on some machinery.
I want to upgrade to nice equipment that I won’t be trading out of or up from - ever.
<o =""></o>
So I’m looking to hear what other folks think about the equipment they have been running.
<o =""></o>
I sort of, pretty much, kind of, yah I maybe kind of, do know what I want to do ( sort of). I do musical instruments and cabinetry. That’s my hobby. I will not ever attempt to earn $$ this way, but I do like to travel first class. I am exacting and demanding of my equipment.
<o =""></o>
Planer and jointer issues I’m struggling with have a lot to do with three questions: (1) How much money do I want to save to get a big re-saw band saw 18 or 20” capacity; and (2) How often am I ever going to need a jointer larger than 8”; (3) or planer larger than 12” ??
<o =""></o>
Planning the pieces for a large project can happily be done in a single run obviating the need to lay them side by side. Why do people have a need to own a planer larger then 12” Am I nuts to think I might need a 15” planer?
<o =""></o>
Jointing is a similar question in terms of overall capacity. How often is the ability to joint anything over 8” going to be a big issue?
<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
If I go with the 2 Griz units I’ll have enough $$ to get a Re-Saw from Grizz right away. They are not at all expensive at about 1/3 the cost of a Laguna.
<o =""></o>
If I go Felder, or with the 2 Powermatics I may have to pinch my pennies for a while before I get a Re-Saw.
<o =""></o>
The Table saw is pretty much a decided matter. The decision was between a Laguna TSS slider and a Felder/Hammer.
<o =""></o>
Felder Hammer: The “Hammer Winner” Is the saw. It’s a slider with a 51” cross cut with 12 inch blade driven by a Baldor 4 HP (30/40%) at 4800 RPM. Can cut 4” high. I’ll pay additional for a carbide insert Dado & the Flange to run it.
The Saw decision is pretty much cast in concrete.
That leaves Jointers & Planers
<o =""></o>
Jointer & Planer Choices are
Option #1:
Felder / Hammer A-31 12 inch combo jointer / planer
12 “ of jointer and planer in one machine,
Jointer: quick change 3 blade cutter head, 5/32 max depth of cut, 4 HP Baldor (40/50%), Jointer table length 55” w/ a 45” Fence, Max Jointer depth of cut: 2/32.
Planer: Planing height min.: 5/32 & max.: 8 7/8, Planer Table 21”, Synchronized feeder drive 24 ft.min,
(can add a Mortiser any time for about $800.00)
<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>Versus the following:

Option #2:
A Powermatic 171791210 model 15S - 15” planer
Powermatic 8” Parallelogram Jointer
<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Versus
Option #3:
Griz 15” Planer GO453
Griz 8” jointer GO4090
<o =""></o>
Space: It’s not a huge shop. It can take all that equipment plus a BS, if I put some on rollers but someday I may build a dedicated one.

<o ="">
</o>

tod evans
03-22-2006, 1:18 PM
cliff, you didn`t mention the brand i chose for my last power equipment purchase in this lifetime......so of the ones you list go felder all the way and stay away from the tai/chi stuff. i think you`ll be much happier if you can swing it....02 tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-22-2006, 1:45 PM
Thanks Tod. I sort of wondered if Felder/Hammer wasn't going to be long term a better selection.

What is that equipment I see in your Step 1 & 2 on Making Radiused Mouldings thread? Knapp?

BTW any input on the width of the jointer planer questions?

Cecil Arnold
03-22-2006, 1:46 PM
Is there a reason you didn't consider Mini-Max?

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-22-2006, 1:48 PM
I'm on the east coast. I have never been in the same room with a minimax. I know they are top flight but still.
They are costly too. Their 15" jointer/planer is 6-Grand.

Cecil Arnold
03-22-2006, 1:52 PM
Cliff, there combo machine offers 12" jointer planer, sliding table saw, shaper, and mortiser for $8k and up. You should be able to see it and Laguna side by side at any major WW show. I've seen them sold used in the $5k range.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-22-2006, 2:07 PM
I was looking at 5 station combos. They look really nice. Mortiser shaper planer jointer saw all right there.

However, I suspect that my dyslexic personality would find them to require too much disclipline for me.
ERGO I'm leaning in the direction of the seperate stand alones with maybe a combo here or there.

I was considering the Knapp which can be split up so that the jointer mortiser can all go elsewhere from the TS and shaper and the shaper table saw are together. I could live with that I believe. But -the Knapp was $20-Grand just to start the discussion and $$ went up from there.

lou sansone
03-22-2006, 3:05 PM
cliff
I would also recommned that you look at the mini-max equipment. there is a hartford ct woodworking expo on april 5-6 and felder and mm will be there.

lou

Paul B. Cresti
03-22-2006, 3:17 PM
Cliff,
There is a certain brand I suggest you SERIOUSLY look at but the name seems to elude me......let me take a look at the name on my machines here as they work pretty good .....oh yeah there it is, it says "Mini Max"....oh wait a second this one says "Mini Max" too and so does that one ...hey wait a second they all do....I guess I like these machines cause they all say the same thing!

tod evans
03-22-2006, 3:42 PM
Thanks Tod. I sort of wondered if Felder/Hammer wasn't going to be long term a better selection.

What is that equipment I see in your Step 1 & 2 on Making Radiused Mouldings thread? Knapp?

BTW any input on the width of the jointer planer questions?

cliff, most of my equipment is minimax or scmi, look here;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26573
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26574

if i can answer any questions don`t hesitate to ask.....02 tod

Jim Becker
03-22-2006, 5:39 PM
Cliff, I want to comment on the jointer and planer aspects you mention...I don't need to pile on relative to the brand since I'm, umm...in the same "white/blue" camp as a bunch of other people who have already responded. ;)

I firmly believe there is great functional benefit to having a jointer and planer with the same capacity...and wide is good. A wide jointer isn't just about wide materials, but also about working with materials that may be better served by passing over the knives at an angle or for edge jointing unusual shapes, such as curved laminations. And when you do have wide material available, why cut it up just so you can make it flat? Personally, I love working with wide stock and despite the hype/myths otherwise, with proper construction, a wide board is not going to turn into a rubber band...there is no need to rip it up and re-glue it to keep it flat. Joint the face flat, thickness the same board with the planer and make your project. And the less glue joints you have in a panel, the easier it is to cope with grain matching said joint to make it disappear. (Something I take great pains to do as much as possible)

If you can afford the wider jointer and thickness planer, whether separates or in a combo, you'll really enjoy them over time.