PDA

View Full Version : recessed lighting?

larry merlau
03-22-2006, 12:34 PM
what should i be looking for in reguards to the main parts, i read some where that some need to be housed in a seperate box to avoid fire hazard..these are going in an attic that has fiberglass and then blown in cellouse on top of that. so what are your recommendations from the electricians on here? thanks

Tom Saurer
03-22-2006, 1:03 PM
note***I am not an electrician**** Each lighting unit is a little bit different. You'll need to read the specs for each one. The ones I've installed called for me to push the insulation away from the light, I think no more then 12 inches. They were easy to install.

tod evans
03-22-2006, 1:13 PM
larry, i listened to the wife and put those darn things in the showroom, bulbs are about 6-7 bucks each.....if you still want them most mfgrs. have units with an integral metal housing to keep insulation away from the fixture....02 tod

Rob Russell
03-22-2006, 1:31 PM
Larry,

If you are going to be installing "cans" (the housings that recessed lights go in) into an insulated ceiling, you need to buy "IC"-rated fixtures. IC means Insulation Contact. You will discover that IC-rated cans typically handle lower wattage fixtures than non-IC cans. The reason is that the IC-rated cans are air-tight and heat builds up in them. Non-IC rated cans allow some of the heat to escape, so you can put higher wattage fixtures in them

Rob
Addy protocol: Experienced but unlicensed, homeowner who enjoys wiring

larry merlau
03-22-2006, 2:13 PM
well tod in my short ceiling i need the shortest light i can get:) and rob i had already thought of the lower wattage and it will be cheaper to run right??/ the northern weather requires to have insulation or i will freezz my ears off:)