PDA

View Full Version : Delta TS350

Jacob Snow
03-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Howdy everyone! This is my first post on here, as you can tell :) I was just letting ya'll know a little bit about me. This is my first foray into woodworking with my own equipment (I had done it in shop in highschool :)) I am living in the Pacific NW and got lucky enough to have abought a house that has a small shop (12x16, so actually really tiny) I have convinced my wife that i can buy some tools :) my first big purchase was the Delta TS350 i got it for 280, so not terrible on the price, i am just curious what people think abut this saw. It does have an induction motor, so i think that is a bonus.

Well i will end this fairly pointless post by saying "Hi!" and i hope to see ya'll around.

Ed Blough
03-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Howdy everyone! This is my first post on here, as you can tell :) I was just letting ya'll know a little bit about me. This is my first foray into woodworking with my own equipment (I had done it in shop in highschool :)) I am living in the Pacific NW and got lucky enough to have abought a house that has a small shop (12x16, so actually really tiny) I have convinced my wife that i can buy some tools :) my first big purchase was the Delta TS350 i got it for 280, so not terrible on the price, i am just curious what people think abut this saw. It does have an induction motor, so i think that is a bonus.

Well i will end this fairly pointless post by saying "Hi!" and i hope to see ya'll around.

Jacob
Asking a question like that is like asking for a jab in the eye. There are people here that believe unless it is the latest and greatest is not worth considering. If you read these forums long enough I'm sure you can make yourself dissatisfied with most any saw.

Are you happy with the saw? If you are that is all that matters. My neighbor has one and loves it and he produces some nice projects.

Stop worring about your saw, watch your fingers and make some saw dust.
Just my opinion.

Jacob Snow
03-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Good point! Ignore the question, just saying hi :)

Greg Koch
03-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Jacob,

Welcome to the Creek, and congrats on the new saw! Where are you from here in the PNW?

Nice that you have your own shop. I get one garage bay at most...:p How about some pics of your shop and saw and other things?

Greg

scott spencer
03-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Jacob. Welcome to the Creek! My first TS was a Delta 36-600 which is now the TS300...a not-so-distant relative of the TS350. It was no Unisaw but I liked it, was proud of it, and it did what I needed it to do at the time.

Enjoy!

Jacob Snow
04-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Here is proof that i actually got the saw :) Sorry about the poor focus, the AF focused on the back and since it was dark the f-stop was low so my depth of field sucks.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/58962838.jpg

Carlos Quintero
01-11-2008, 8:01 PM
Hi everybody,
I am also new to the Creek, so pardon me for the newbie question.

Does anybody know of a good dado blade to use with my TS350. I just got this machine (still in the box!) so I want to unpack it and build something this weekend and I know I will need a dado blade for whatever I build. Also pointers to a good dado and zero clearence inserts will be greatly appreciated. Thank all, I love this place.

Regards,

Carlos

Eric Haycraft
01-12-2008, 2:23 AM
The answer is going to be it depends upon how much you want to spend. The best bang for the buck is probably something like the 50 dollar grizzly. It won't give a completely smooth bottom to the cut, but will look fairly nice. If you want a smooth as glass, ready to glue cut, you need to step up to the 200 dollar range. There are two that I see recommended here often - the Freud and the CMT. I have the Infinity dadonator (180 bucks) and it cuts really nice. With any of those last three that I mentioned, you really can't go wrong.

Curt Harms
01-12-2008, 8:12 AM
I have an Jesada (Infinity) dado blade and it produces a pretty good cut. A router will produce an absolutely smooth and clean dado. The router cut dado often involves several passes vs. one pass with a dado blade but will produce an absolutely clean cut and it's easier to make a stopped dado with a router than with a dado blade.

HTH

Curt

Hi everybody,
I am also new to the Creek, so pardon me for the newbie question.

Does anybody know of a good dado blade to use with my TS350. I just got this machine (still in the box!) so I want to unpack it and build something this weekend and I know I will need a dado blade for whatever I build. Also pointers to a good dado and zero clearence inserts will be greatly appreciated. Thank all, I love this place.

Regards,

Carlos

Dan Barr
01-12-2008, 8:19 AM
and i think its just fine. cuts smooth and neatly.

as for your table saw. it'll do the job as long as you are aware and take the time to square the fence, always check the blade for square and check those other little things as you build something. i learned most of what i know on an itty bitty craftsman buzzbox (the really cheap one). the guy who taught me was as smart as a whip and knew just about every trick in the book to make it and anything else work. and i do mean just about anything.

what it really comes down to is that a good craftsman can make do with just about anything and do a good job at it too. youre going to have a few headaches with the cheaper tools but you'll learn a lot more that way. and thats whats gonna make you a better woodworker in the long run.

i think you'll be just fine with that saw.

ciao,

dan

Mike Seals
01-12-2008, 9:11 AM

It's not a pointless thread.

I've have a fairly good sized shop 26 X 60 range with dust collection setup and tons of tools. Shaper, two planers, two bandsaws, radial arm saw, jointer, etc, etc. Right in the middle of it sits a 1980's vintage cheepo Craftsman tablesaw. I've threatened to up grade for years. But everytime I walk into the tools store I have to ask my self if it's worth it. The saw does what I need, I put a decent fence on it and bought some good blades. I have learned all the tricks to make it work right and have built everything from sheds to furniture to nick nacks and everything in between.

The point is, the saw spins a blade, after that it's the person behind it that makes it work. Your saw is a far better piece than mine. Learn to use it and don't worry about if it's the latest and greatest.

Randal Stevenson
01-12-2008, 4:08 PM
Here is proof that i actually got the saw :) Sorry about the poor focus, the AF focused on the back and since it was dark the f-stop was low so my depth of field sucks.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/58962838.jpg

OMgosh, how long did it take you to bolt everything to the wall? Do you stand on the floor and hold things to the tablesaw, or do you bolt yourself to the wall as well?

:D:D:D:D
Welcome, I just couldn't resist.

Robbie Wigginton
04-17-2008, 2:32 PM
Hi, new member here. I also have a TS350. I got a very good deal on it at Lowe's and so far I've been pleased with it. However, the first time I used it I noticed that after you shut the saw off, the blade continues to spin for another minute or so. Is this just how direct drive motors are or is there possibly a defect with mine? This can be very dangerous and just wondered if there would be a way to correct this.

Lance Norris
04-17-2008, 2:55 PM
Robbie... That seems a bit long. I had a 36-600 Delta when I first started and I dont remember it spinning like that. I would just recommend you get in the habit of lowering the blade below the table after every cutting session(within reason, of course) and absolutely use the blade gaurd on every through cut.

Welcome.

Robbie Wigginton
04-17-2008, 3:07 PM
Robbie... That seems a bit long. I had a 36-600 Delta when I first started and I dont remember it spinning like that. I would just recommend you get in the habit of lowering the blade below the table after every cutting session(within reason, of course) and absolutely use the blade gaurd on every through cut.

Welcome.
I was surprised the first time I used it. Usually I just take a scap piece of wood and use it to slow the blade down. Probably not the safest method but it beats losing a hand from not paying attention.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-17-2008, 3:18 PM
I noticed that after you shut the saw off, the blade continues to spin for another minute or so

I have an older Delta TS (34-670) that uses the same motor (I believe), and it does not have that behavior - the blade is usually stopped in side of 5 seconds or so. If they have a demo set up at Lowes, ask them to fire it up and see what the behavior is...

Jimmy Williams
04-17-2008, 3:18 PM
Mine runs like that as well. I attributed it to the motor. I either lower the blade or move to the work bench while it spins down.

scott spencer
04-17-2008, 3:37 PM
Hi, new member here. I also have a TS350. I got a very good deal on it at Lowe's and so far I've been pleased with it. However, the first time I used it I noticed that after you shut the saw off, the blade continues to spin for another minute or so. Is this just how direct drive motors are or is there possibly a defect with mine? This can be very dangerous and just wondered if there would be a way to correct this.

Robbie - Even though the TS350 is direct drive, it uses an induction motor. Most induction motors spin freely to a stop over a period of 30 seconds or so. I could be wrong, but AFAIK most saws that have electronic brakes are universal motors....like a CMS, the TS300 (36-600), etc.