PDA

View Full Version : Biscuiting Plywood

Chris Yarish
03-22-2006, 9:57 AM
I see it done on TV, but does a biscuit make 3/4" plywood "swell" at the point of insertion once dry?

frank shic
03-22-2006, 10:40 AM
chris, are you asking if the biscuit STAYS swollen after the glue dries? if so, then the answer is YES. that's why they are such an acceptable form of joint for plywood and melamine and even solid wood.

Mark Pruitt
03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
If you're asking, will the buscuit cause visible swelling or depression at the surface, generally the answer is no. I have heard of stories where a buscuit slot was cut too close to the surface which resulted in a visible alteration of the surface. That problem should not occur if the buscuit is reasonably centered. I also wonder if the problems I read about were caused by sanding prematurely, i.e., not allowing adequate drying time for the glue. I've done thousands of buscuits in 3/4 plywood and have never had a problem. But then, I'm careful about allowing the glue to dry first.
Mark

Steve Clardy
03-22-2006, 11:16 AM
I use them as a means to extend 8' material for joining counter top material. Never had a sweeling issue, either with strawboard or plywood.

Chris Yarish
03-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Sorry for being vague...
I meant does it cause visible swelling upon drying, as a "bump" beneath the insertion point.

I guess proper centering then is the key to avoiding any swelling issues.

Thanks
I will be conscientious of where I make my biscuit slot.

Steve Clardy
03-22-2006, 11:55 AM
I center them always.