PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Newbie question

Steve Mayhew
03-22-2006, 8:14 AM
I have just started using my jointer. I'm not sure I have it fully set up properly. What is concerning me is how the "shavings" look.

What I am getting are very tightly curled shavings. Even on the final pass of a 6" wide pine board the shavings are only a couple inches long at best. On quartyersawn whit oak the shavings are even smaller. I would expect to be getting longer flatter shavings like I get from my thickness planer.

Do I not have something right, or are my expectations of what shavings should look like incorrect?

The planed/jointed surfaces appear to be OK.

Steve Mayhew

Tyler Howell
03-22-2006, 8:17 AM
Steve,

The end product is what you're after!!!!

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-22-2006, 9:35 AM
You are probably thinking of the chip your hand planes pull off. It cannot be the same as the mechanics of how the cut is delivered are entirely different.

That length of stock removed by a single cutter during which that one cutter in the head is engaging that stock will not be more than the length of shaving you are getting. It will be the distance of that part of the circumference of the cutter path during wich it's actually cutting stock. That's going to be a short distance.

The higher feed rates and faster cutter head speeds will shorten that distance substantially.

Tale a look at the length of the chip from your table saw blade.
They are really small.

Steve Mayhew
03-23-2006, 7:34 AM
Thanks for the inputs. I knew I was coming to the right place.

Steve