PDA

View Full Version : Another bmp to vector question

Daryl Barberousse
03-21-2006, 8:51 PM
Here is yet another question regarding conversion to vector. I have been tryig to figure this one out for too long....now I have turned to the experts.
I recently purchased a HP 5300C with the Precision Scan software hoping this would make this project easy. Attached is a leaf that I have scanned....150dpi. What is the next step I need to take in order to convert this into a good vector file. I used a sharp pencil to draw this picture prior to scanning.

Thank for the assistance........

Jim A. Walters
03-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Did you have the file scanned in the WMF format? I have looked at the HP site, and this seems to be the only vector format for the software.

Hale Reider
03-21-2006, 11:21 PM
I tried to use TRACE on this but could not. Normally, I just take a bitmap image in black and white, shoot it into Photo-paint, use the magic wand after "make an object out of the background", remove the inside, fill black outline with black, then paste image into Corel Draw, convert image to bitmap, trace, use 1st option at 100% and you would have the outside outline pretty good. you can usually skip the whold Photo-paint if the image is pretty good, in which case, the last set of curves is usually the outline. You can erase the rest.

I did not try to see what file format it was in. But TRACE on it was not an option for my computer.

Hale
http://tobecherished.com

Frank Corker
03-22-2006, 3:46 AM
I've just put the cdr file into Corel and used bitmap trace and it went without problems. Regarding the scanning, I would be inclined to use a black felt tip pen on clean white paper, if you want to get a decent trace. Once you have used the trace facility in Corel, right click and ungroup all - remove the dross and the file should be okay

mike klein
03-22-2006, 6:17 PM
I ran this one thru illustrator cs2. Maybe this will work for you.

Mike

Joe Pelonio
03-22-2006, 6:53 PM
Regarding the scanning, I would be inclined to use a black felt tip pen on clean white paper, if you want to get a decent trace.

Frank,

Your eyes must be better than mine. I use clear acetate to trace, with a thin magic marker. It's hard to see thru white and the old "onion skin" type tracing paper isn't much better and doesn't give you a clean background.

Shari Loveless
03-22-2006, 7:05 PM
Joe,
Try clear plastic bags and use a permanent marker. It scans great and is easy to see through. You don't even need a light box.
Shari

Rodne Gold
03-22-2006, 8:17 PM
Its a bad scan , there is a huge amount of extranous pixelation all over the place , you need to adjust your scanners options in terms of threshold and contrast , scan as 1 bit (black and white) image and make sure all you have is the outline. Coreltrace would work exceptionally well if this image was clean. Version x3 of corel's trace actually does a great a prety good job on it even in it's poor state , a good reason to get it.

Daryl Barberousse
03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the help. There is a steep learning curve for us leather guys. I'm used to carving and tooling my own designs rather then letting the computer do the work. I'll work on the suggestions each of you mentioned. Looks like my primary lesson is to make the best drawing possible and then work on my scanning procedure.

Thanks again for your assistance. If anyone has any further suggestions, please pass them on.

Roy Brewer
03-23-2006, 10:24 PM
I recently purchased a HP 5300C with the Precision Scan software hoping this would make this project easy.

Daryl,

I think the original question was how to take advantage of your 5300 w/PrecisionScan(?).

Here's where you went wrong: don't scan as bitmap, scan as vector. Easiest way to set this up is to have Corel running "full screen" and PrecisionScan, partial screen w/PrecisionScan on top, then...

1. Prescan
2. Select area to be vectorized
3. Output Type>Black & White Scalable
4. Drag and drop into Corel.

Shazam, you have a vector file superior to even what our greatly improved X3 PowerTRACE can provide. I have no argument with others who indicate it would be nice if you had better artwork (what's new?!), but if that's all you have with which to work, your PrecisionScan will save you quite a bit of time over any other vectorization method I've found. Personally, I'd rather clean up the crummy artwork in Corel after it is vecotrized than to go through the suggested "hoops" to clean up before scanning.

Robert Bosworth
03-24-2006, 2:07 PM
Roy -- You just reminded me that several years ago I bought a scanner for this purpose alone and I've never ONCE used it for that! I just tried it out and I'm amazed at the output.

Thanks!

Robert C. Bosworth
www.usedlasers.com

Daryl Barberousse
03-24-2006, 8:20 PM
Roy,

WOW! Did that ever make a difference!

Thanks for the advice. And thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge here in this forum.

Roy Brewer
03-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Roy -- You just reminded me that several years ago I bought a scanner for this purpose alone and I've never ONCE used it for that! I just tried it out and I'm amazed at the output.

Robert,

I'm telling you that's why they pay me the big bucks!
Text & very small graphics is where PrecisionScan leaves PowerTRACE (and most others) in the dust.