PDA

View Full Version : BORING! BORING!! BORING!!! (pics)

Dale Thompson
03-21-2006, 8:41 PM
Yeah Folks,
Sorry! :( This is just another piece of "flatwork" trash DEMANDED by my daughter down in Oak Creek, WI.

Hey!! WAKE UP!! If you are down in Florida, you can always go outside and watch the snow melt. :cool:

Just in case she asks for something else, I have asked her for her three top choices in the way that she wants to die. :rolleyes: At MY age, three was minimum because I figured that I would forget AT LEAST two!? :o

I have considered bombing her house. The SIL and grandkids would be classified as "collateral damage" but I don't want to hurt my BUDDY, "Indy the Aussie". :)

Anyway, the "THING" is supposed to be a Printer Cabinet. :o Her LARGE printer would go on the top. The uncovered pull-out is an auxilliary desk top for more of her messes. That top was another DEMAND! :eek:

The second full-width pull-out will house her scanner and the mini-shelves at the bottom left are for paper storage. The rest are just drawers where she can quickly stuff a lot of garbage to hide it from her "loving" father when he goes down to give her her latest report card containing grades as to her progress (HA!) as a wife and mother! ;) :)

Thanks for looking. HEY! WAKE UP!! How can you LOOK with your eyes CLOSED? :(

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Once again Dale an extemely well done piece! When are you going to own up to the fact that your little girl....will always have Daddy wrapped around her little finger?............

Corey Hallagan
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey that is pretty good Dale for an old hack with no talent! :) Just kidding, great looking piece!

Corey

Dan Oliphant
03-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Nice piece Mr. Thompson, what is that little detail we see on the inside of the doors (middle) and on the side panels? Can't quite make out the detail in the photos.

Tim Morton
03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Imagine what you could build if you tried doing it in an actual woodshop....:D

Mike Goetzke
03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Wow! I really like the raised panel look.

Double WOW - you get to do woodworking in the living room!

Mike

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Outstanding, Dale.

Inovative and beautifully done!

Bruce

David Duke
03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
;) Alright Dale who'd you steal that from?;) ;)
All kiddiing aside great looking piece especially from someone who is drifting over to the dark side.

Dave Richards
03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Huh, what? Or sorry, I dozed off. Great cabinet Dale. Your poor daughter. How can you inflict all that stuff on her? :D

Dale Thompson
03-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Nice piece Mr. Thompson, what is that little detail we see on the inside of the doors (middle) and on the side panels? Can't quite make out the detail in the photos.

Dan,
Those are "plugged" pocket holes. I make my own but they can also be purchased at considerably more expense. The "store bought" ones, just like mine, have to be "trimmed" with one of those flexible saw blades with no tooth rake on one side. Actually, I "trim" mine with my laminate trimmer set to "0" depth.

I happen to like the appearance of these things. A lot of folks don't. Also, I like the glue/clamp/screw/unclamp feature of pocket holes. To me it's a lot better than gluing and clamping biscuits, dowels or plain edge gluing and then letting the whole assembly sit around for hours. :(

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. I'm tired of the black eyes from all of the protruding pipe clamps! :cool: :)

Dale T.

Vaughn McMillan
03-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Well, it came out pretty horrible, Dale. Good thing you told us what that thing was, or else we'd have been guessing all night why you built the thing in the first place. I see from the pics it was so bad, you had to protect the carpet with that heavy moving quilt. You have a mighty supportive daughter to display that in her front of her friends. You should be proud of her mother for raising her right. :p

Great job man. I really like the dual pull-out platforms and the paper storage. Top-rate job all around.

- Vaughn

doug webb
03-22-2006, 12:26 AM
I am in Florida and that white stuff ain't snow. It is our white sand. It don't melt, at least I hope not. Now since you obviously have this item down pat.........would you build me one so I can devote MY time to spinny things. Probobly won't take an expert like you long.
Great project!

Tom Drake
03-22-2006, 4:59 AM
Very nice work!

Gail O'Rourke
03-22-2006, 6:34 AM
Hey Dale, awesome job, please send it to me so that I can take a closer look.

Peter Stahl
03-22-2006, 6:48 AM
You do nice work Dale. Your daughter won't stop now, you have her addicted to fine furniture, lol!

Matt Meiser
03-22-2006, 7:46 AM
Another impressive piece Dale!

Jim Davenport
03-22-2006, 7:54 AM
Yeah Folks,

Hey!! WAKE UP!! If you are down in Florida, you can always go outside and watch the snow melt. :cool:

Dale T.
Snow melt???
My back yard is fragrant with orange blossoms:D
Nice work by the way. Your daughter should be very happy.

Alex Berkovsky
03-22-2006, 7:55 AM
Dale,
Beautiful piece of flatwork trash! :D Can you please explain what is the function of the pocket hole screws on the inside of the front doors.

Steve Ash
03-22-2006, 8:05 AM
Dale, how do you expect us to believe you don't know how to make anything but trash when you turn out beautiful pieces of furniture like that? Very nice work Mr. Thompson.

Tyler Howell
03-22-2006, 8:22 AM
That is pretty Boaring Pesh!:rolleyes: :D
So what are you doing with all your spare time??

Brent Harral
03-22-2006, 8:36 AM
Love the side panel work. Those kinds of added detail really make a piece! Now what's all this business of you being a "self-proclaimed" hack anyway? Good looking piece.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-22-2006, 8:54 AM
Once again Dale, you've managed to survive the family and their cruel and unusual demands and come out with a great piece of work. I sure hope they appreciate your sacrifices over the years. For someone who has to make furniture under extreme duress, you do a very fine job!

Bueautiful piece Dale....very nice indeed!

Dale Thompson
03-22-2006, 9:52 AM
Dale,
Beautiful piece of flatwork trash! :D Can you please explain what is the function of the pocket hole screws on the inside of the front doors.

Alex,
My board wasn't wide enough. :( I had to do a glueup. :)

Dale T.

Michael Gabbay
03-22-2006, 9:56 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz uhh zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

Nice piece Dale. A real sleeper! :D Actually I need something like that to get our office organized. One more thing for the list I suppose.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Alex,
My board wasn't wide enough. :( I had to do a glueup. :)

Dale T.

Dale, can you explain how you make your own pocket hole plugs?

Jason Tuinstra
03-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Dale, I always love reading your posts. They make for a good laugh - the writting that is, not the projects ;) Another great looking project for "the gallery." It looks like it should fill the bill quite well. Excellent design!

Dan Stuewe
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
In case you never hear from me again, I've been killed by my wife so she can somehow marry into Dale's family.

Beautiful feature-filled furniture Dale!

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-22-2006, 1:51 PM
Hey Dale,

If you travel down 41, instead of 43 to get to Oak Creek, you are welcome to drop that "Flatwork Trash" off at my place.:D I am just a stones throw of the freeway on Hwy 60. Say I evaluate it for a few years and then send it on to Oak Creek!

Nice work Dale.

Mike

John Miliunas
03-22-2006, 1:54 PM
I just don't understand it, Pesh. I'm sure your daughter was after something which looked a lot more Walmart-ish or even something from Ikea. But no-o-o-o-o-o-o..... You have to go and hack something like that together! Fer cryin' out loud...Where's the particle board and plastic veneer, that looks like glass-smooth Oak??? What, no paper fiber back???:confused: :eek: Full extension slides??? What's up with that? :confused: Sheeeeeesh, man...You got that all wrong!!!:D :cool:

Jim Becker
03-22-2006, 5:51 PM
Imagine what you could build if you tried doing it in an actual woodshop....
LOL! It sure wouldn't be as "verbally" interesting, however...
-------

I guess this couldn't go in the Bonker contest...it has a finish on it. :D Seriously...very nice, Dale!

Dale Thompson
03-22-2006, 9:04 PM
Dale, can you explain how you make your own pocket hole plugs?

Jeff,
I'm not REAL sure because I just DO it. :o The "finesse" way is to whack off a bunch of pieces on the BS from a 3/8" dowel of the same (a CONTRASTING wood might be cool also) wood. I set the miter gage for around 30 deg. The length is about 2 1/2". I then glue the piece into the oval hole with the "toe" (long) side up to be sure I cover the hole on the screw end. When the glue dies, I cut off the "tail" portion of the dowel with one of those ultra-flex hand saws that have no "rake" on one side of the teeth to avoid scratching the surrounding surface. That's the "finesse" way. ;)

In reality, I am too lazy to do all that hand sawing. :rolleyes: I put a box core bit in my laminate trimmer (the plunge router actually works better), set the depth of cut to 0- and have at it. The first couple of cuts are a bit "bouncy" but the final result usually requires little, if any, extra attention when I do my final sanding. I hate sanding, so I make the "-" as small as possible. :)

I've found that the "store-bought" plugs require "trimming" just like the home made ones and are a lot more expensive. :) If I was an over-paid, under-worked Moderator, I wouldn't have to worry about the cost. :eek:

On last thing. If you are going to "plug" the holes, make sure that the bit stop on the pocket hole bit is set deep enough so that the plug will cover the screw head. :) Do it on a scrap piece first. If you have to redrill, there is no way that you will get a "snug" fit. :o

Jeff, I'll bet that you are glad that you asked!? :eek:

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
03-22-2006, 9:25 PM
Hi folks,
Thank you all VERY much for your kind comments! :) I know that it was tough to come up with something NICE to say and I REALLY appreciate your efforts. ;) :o :)

I know that many of you are jealous of the fact that I get to do woodworking in my living room. :p As the great Poet and Philosopher, Homer, once said, "TOUGH BANANAS"!

It's really nice to stand on soft carpeting and take my breaks on a plushy recliner. The "rub" comes in, however, when the LOML comes home and makes me dust off all of those fragile little statues in her China Cabinet. :( My first try was to crank the compressor up to 150 psi, put on the nozzle and "attack" that dust. :cool: That little "touch of creativity" partially explains my permanent semi-comatose condition and the numerous "hairline" cracks in my skull! :o :(

THANKS AGAIN!! :)

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2006, 9:27 PM
Explains your unusual Bonkers for Bonkers entry too Dale!:D In your shoes, I'd not make anything that might be misused as a weapon either!