PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Paring Chisels

Richard Mullin
03-21-2006, 8:18 PM
I just received a set of Sorby paring chisels that I ordered. The ad said:

<O:p</O:p"Originally a pattern maker's style, these Robert Sorby long paring chisels are a cabinet makers favorite. They are a must for things like cleaning out sliding dovetail joints.
Robert Sorby paring chisels have the longest, flattest, and thinnest blade available today.
Fitted with Robert Sorby's exquisite English Boxwood handles."

Well, all the boxwood handles have filler, and none of the blade backs are flat.
Here’s my question: Which (if either) is preferable in a paring chisel: a concave or a convex back? I have some of each...<O:p</O:p

Mike Wenzloff
03-21-2006, 8:32 PM
Well, concave is preferable--but are we talking about down the length or across the width?

I personally wouldn't care if there was a little concavity as in a hollow on the backs. But the blades should be straight down their length. Do note they will flex under use due to their thinness.

If you got them from a reputable dealer, consider contacting them for replacements.

Take care, Mike

Richard Mullin
03-21-2006, 10:07 PM
The chisels are bowed lengthwise. Five of seven are concave, and two of seven are convex. The bow is on the order of 1/32" over the total length. I'm planning to e-mail the supplier (The Best Things) tomorrow with my inspection report.:(

Mike Wenzloff
03-21-2006, 11:15 PM
I cannot imagine Lee wouldn't do you good. Many dealings with him and have always been satisfied.

Take care, Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2006, 11:19 PM
I just bought a Sorby roughing gouge from them. They were extemely nice people with whom to deal!

Pam Niedermayer
03-22-2006, 9:10 AM
Contemporary Sorby tools have the rep of being not all that well made, some have been soft. This is third hand, I've never bought any.

Pam

Alice Frampton
03-23-2006, 3:40 AM
The trouble with Sorby is inconsistency and that causes all the apparently conflicting personal experiences you read. You can get good ones, and they're very good. But equally you can get real stinkers that fold like a processed cheese slice. Either way the quality of the handles has dropped considerably, as you've found. Personally I think they're suffering from a nasty case of trading on their previous reputation without putting in the same attention to quality that got it for them in the first place. I'd send 'em back and get some old ones if it was me. Very disappointing for you, Richard. :(

Cheers, Alf

Mark Singer
03-23-2006, 8:27 AM
I would send them back....They are great people at the Best Things...maybe switch to Ashley Isles...I thing they make a long paring chisel..

Tom McMahon
03-24-2006, 3:47 PM
I have four I got about 4 years ago, from either LV or WC, Ican't remember which. They are great straight as an arrow and hold an edge.