PDA

View Full Version : Delta 36-680 early gloat!

Greg Koch
03-21-2006, 6:46 PM
The little Rockwell 9" saw I got works OK, for the small stuff I've used it for, but the gear that moves the blade between 90 ~ 45 degrees broke and a replacement is $54! I also can't find the blade guard in the boxes of stuff I got. So I had been reading here and looking around on Amazon and noticed they had the Delta 36-680 on sale, with free shipping, for $579. They also have a rebate for $150 bringing the total down to $429. Pretty good price from what I've seen... I was afraid they would drop the free shipping, yesterday was the last day of the 10% off sale, so I went ahead and ordered one. The ship date wasn't expected till the end of the month, so I figured I had a couple of days to mull over the buy. Today, I went to Western Tool to look at one "in the flesh" and liked what I saw. They had them on a manager's sale for $549 and a $50 rebate for a final price of $499 for the 2 they had left. (The manager said Delta was coming out with a new model.....argghhh).

Anyway, when I came back and logged into Amazon...my order was getting ready to ship and I couldn't cancel/change it! So it looks like I will be the new owner of a 36-680 in a couple of weeks or so. It did seem like a nice saw, and really all I need. Comes with 2 cast iron extension tables and a really nice T fence that appears fairly accurate and consistant. Delta also has a rebate offer for buyers to receive a free blade worth about $55. I think I'm gonna like it.

Any comments from owners, users or other experts? :)

Greg

Cary Falk
03-21-2006, 8:00 PM
Greg,
I bought this saw last October from Western Tool Supply for $550(I think) with a rebate for a EB3 looking miter guage, that I really like. I think you got a great price. I really enjoy mine because I was previously using a benchtop. I just spent this last weekend making some ZCI's and closing up the bottom and back for dust control. I think you will enjoy it. I put one of those Ridgid Herulift moile bases on it that are selling for $29 at Home Depot and it is pretty slick. Congrats and enjoy your new saw.:)
Cary

scott spencer
03-22-2006, 5:21 AM
Congrats Greg! $429 is a really nice deal on that saw....it should do everything you want it to. The new model has a built in mobile base and a new look to the legs, otherwise is about the same.

The 36-680 should have a 36T Delta blade inside the box, but it's not one I'd keep longterm for a primary blade. With the money you saved, you should be able to pick up a real nice blade or two.

Peter Stahl
03-22-2006, 6:45 AM
Greg, Congrats on the new saw, you're gonna like having a quality too to cut with. As for buyers remorse, I have it after everything I buy. Some I'm still sorry I bought but what the hay.

Steve Ash
03-22-2006, 8:18 AM
Greg, good for you! I looked it up in a tool catalog to see what you are getting, the saw will serve you well and you got a great price....now with that savings you can buy more stuff !:D

John Hedges
03-22-2006, 9:34 AM
Greg,

I have had that saw for a year and a half now and as far as contractors saws go I think you made a great choice for the $. I got mine at Western Tool when they first came out for a price similar to yours and it has been a great saw. Really heavy and stable with the Cast Iron wings. I have often ripped 8/4 Hard Maple and Oak with no problem (with a full kerf WWII). Couple of suggestions.
1) If you are going to hook up a DC, build your own dust collection plate for the bottom instead of buying Deltas. The delta plate only allows a 4" DC outlet and is flat at the bottom so a lot of dust collects inside the saw.
2) A router table inserted off the right wing is a great idea and adds working surface and weight for stability. If you do this HTC makes a mobile base which you can special order which extends out to the ends of the fence so you can add support legs. This is a much better setup than the new built in caster system on the new delta model IMHO (but also a bit pricier).
3) A link belt is a nice upgrade.
4) Pals alignment system would make alignment a breeze. I wish I had known about these when I bought mine.

Congradulations, as I said before I think you're really going to like the saw. Feel free to ask any questions.

Greg Koch
03-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks, everyone.

I have overspent as it is....dang Amazon! But I will have a just a few bucks for some really needed stuff...LOL

There is a rebate for a saw blade, so that will help. Here's the blade...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WI0A/ref=amb_link_33375801_1/104-4817134-4136765?n=228013

John,

Any more specific ideas on the DC mods for the unit?

A router table would be nice, and maybe a later option, but I need to keep the saw really compact and mobile right now, till I get my "shop" better arranged.

Is the "link belt" a belt, or bearing? Do you have a part number/link I could use?

Thanks for the advice on the Pal system too, I'm going to order today.

Greg Koch
03-23-2006, 1:03 AM
Just got notification today that the saw is on it's way! :p Appears that main box is on ABF freight co. and the fence and possible the stand are on UPS. There are 3 boxes, #1 with ABF and #2 & #3 on UPS. Delivery is listed as March 30th!

I also found the Contractor Saw performance package, which includes a steel arbor pully, a steel motor pully and 4' of link belt, for the Delta saw, for $57. Supposed to really make them smooth...

I gotta get the shop clean, quick! :D

scott spencer
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I have overspent as it is....dang Amazon! But I will have a just a few bucks for some really needed stuff...LOL

There is a rebate for a saw blade, so that will help. Here's the blade...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WI0A/ref=amb_link_33375801_1/104-4817134-4136765?n=228013

That blade looks like it may be one of those made by Leitz. If so it should be a pretty nice blade.

Greg Koch
04-02-2006, 1:26 AM
Well, the saw got here and I'm in the process of getting it together. I have a few things to get done to the shop, before it's up and running, but I have a few things going. I found a 240V socket tucked in a corner of the house (I noticed it when we move in 6 years ago, but never needed it and forgot it's there). I confirmed I have juice with a multimeter. The wire is 8 guage, with only one socket. We have a laundry room, so the previous owner must have had something going on.... I have looked at the diagram and will be wiring the motor for 240V operation.

I got the PALS adjusting system to keep the blade true to the table/fence.

I'm replacing the original pulleys with machined steel ones and replacing the belt with a Link-Belt.

I'm mounting the saw on a Herc-U-Lift mobile base I got at HD for $29.

I also have to clean a lot of stuff out of the shop to get it in and set up with an outfeed table and some other additions I'm planning.

I found the 10" Gold Tenryu 40T blade at a contractors saw shop in town...$89. They're really impressed with it. Amazon, King Tool and Western Tool didn't have it. Anybody know where I can get one at a better price?

G

Vaughn McMillan
04-02-2006, 1:56 AM
Congrats, Greg. As I've seen mentioned here, you'll only regret buying a good tool once, whereas you'll regret buying a cheap one every time you use it. From the specs and reviews, it looks like you got a great deal on a nice saw that'll take you several notches higher in capability. I was especially glad to see you got the Herc-U-Lift base. I have one on my TS, and especially in a tight shop, it's great to have four swivel wheels instead of just two (as I have on other mobile bases).

- Vaughn

scott spencer
04-02-2006, 1:43 PM
Hi Greg - I don't know where to get the Tenryu GM cheaper, but Holbren.com has the Ridge Carbide TS2000 (TK and full kerf) for $80 shipped, and Amazon has the Freud F410 ($95 shipped), the WWII TK ($80 shipped), and the DeWalt DW7657 for $50 shipped....the DW is a real sleeper in this category and about the most bang for the buck.