PDA

View Full Version : Human nature - I'll never figure it out

Brandon Shew
03-21-2006, 3:16 PM
We have a local classified only paper that comes out every Tuesday. I’ve been searching for a planer and jointer as I am “in the market” for each. I always buy the paper right when it comes out as I have learned that if you don’t get to the good ones in time then they’re gone in 1-2 days. So I’m looking in there and didn’t see anything in the jointer/planer dept, but a guy has a Delta 14” bandsaw in there for $125. I’m instantly thinking that I should snatch it up at that price (seeing as I don’t have a BS either).

After asking a few questions I found out that the saw is about 10 years old, works perfectly, has a few extra T-wolf blades & a fence that come with it. I ask the guy if I he’ll be there so I can come by later today to look at it (knowing that it won’t last long at that price). He tells me that he’ll be there, but that he already has someone coming to look at it on Thursday. I said that I understand that, but I can make it there sooner and if the saw is exactly as he says it is that I would pay him full asking price today in cash w/o trying to haggle him down (like most bargain hunters). Nope –“I got a guy who called and is coming on Thursday.”
<O:p
This guy didn’t sound like a spring chicken to me and I would have thought that he may have been a little more world-wise to know that…
1) The guy may not show up on Thursday
2) If he does, he’ll probably try to haggle the price
3) He may not even buy the saw
It’s been my experience in sales (and dealing w/ newspaper classifieds) that if someone wants to pay you full asking price today in cash then you should be inclined to take him up on the offer. I recently sold a washer & dryer through the same outlet. I got lots of calls, a few no-shows, a few tire kickers, etc., but never once did I tell anyone that I would hold the machines for them. I always told people straight up that the first person with the $$$ gets the goods.
<O:p
Oh well – I’ll call back on Thursday to see what happens.

Bill Simmeth
03-21-2006, 3:22 PM
This guy didn’t sound like a spring chicken to me and I would have thought that he may have been a little more world-wise to know that…He probably adheres to that old-school rule that says if you give someone your word, you honor it. In this case, that means honoring the Thursday appt. Ah, the good ole days!

Hoa Dinh
03-21-2006, 3:23 PM
It’s been my experience in sales (and dealing w/ newspaper classifieds) that if someone wants to pay you full asking price today in cash then you should be inclined to take him up on the offer.
Apparently you haven't sold/bought real estate in California recently. :rolleyes:

tod evans
03-21-2006, 3:25 PM
He probably adheres to that old-school rule that says if you give someone your word, you honor it. In this case, that means honoring the Thursday appt. Ah, the good ole days!

i agree bill! sounds like a stand-up fellow.....02 tod

Steve Ash
03-21-2006, 3:29 PM
He probably adheres to that old-school rule that says if you give someone your word, you honor it. In this case, that means honoring the Thursday appt. Ah, the good ole days!

That's the way my dad is too. (80 yrs. old) if he gave his word to someone he'll stand by it...I'd like to think he raised me the same way cause I do the same thing....guess I am old school, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Lee Schierer
03-21-2006, 3:30 PM
Having been the seller of a few items in my time. After wasting a weekend at home waiting for a guy to show up when we sold our first item therough the paper. I tell them straight up that the first one there with the cash gets the thing I'm selling. If they tell me they are coming by, I ask when and tell them I'll be home. If I need to go out, they get 30 minutes at most after the appointed time. I also tell them that I will not hold an item so it may be gone by the time they decide it's convenient to show up. As far as haggling goes, sometimes I will and sometimes I won't.

Rob Russell
03-21-2006, 3:33 PM
Brandon,

You could call the guy back and let him know that - as long as the bandsaw is as he described - you'll still pay the full $125. That way, if the "Thursday appointment" does show up, at least the seller will know that he doesn't have to negotiate on the price.

If it's an older gentlemen, it might be nice for him to know that he doesn't need to budge on the $ he gets, especially since $125 seems like a pretty good price to start with.

Rob

Jim Becker
03-21-2006, 3:57 PM
I agree with Rob...let him know clearly that you are willing and able should the prospective buyer he has an appointment with either not show or try to dicker down. You're helping him out either way and that's a nice gesture.

Tom Andersen
03-21-2006, 4:20 PM
I have seen it from the other side. I went to inspect a large, old table saw that was for private sale and we made a deal. I accepted the price that he asked without any reservation and offered him a down payment. He said that a down payment wasn't needed, he would trust me until the next day when I came back with lifting tools and a trailer to pick up the saw. It was gone! He had sold it to someone else in the meanwhile. I have to say that I got really p....d.

Scott Donley
03-21-2006, 4:31 PM
I would think that if you had been the one who had asked him if he could wait till Thursday and he went ahead and sold it to someone else who showed up with the cash, this thread would be going in a whole different direction. Not every one haggles over price if price being asked is fair and not everyone can drop what they are doing to be there immediately. I commend the guy for standing by his word, it is his BS, if he wants to wait it is his option.

Jim Hager
03-21-2006, 6:48 PM
His actions are known in these parts as integrity. If he told the guy that he would hang on to it until Thursday then he should. He would lack integrity if he didn't.

As for the guy who sold the tablesaw out from under a buyer who offered him a down payment, he did the wrong thing in my book.

John Bailey
03-21-2006, 6:50 PM
Old school here, been burned a few times, still feels right though.

John

Ian Barley
03-21-2006, 6:56 PM
What the others said. If he (you. me, us) made an agreement to show somebody on Thursday the he should stick to it. I like to think that I would too.

David Duke
03-21-2006, 6:59 PM
His actions are known in these parts as integrity. If he told the guy that he would hang on to it until Thursday then he should. He would lack integrity if he didn't.

As for the guy who sold the tablesaw out from under a buyer who offered him a down payment, he did the wrong thing in my book.

I agree with Jim.

Steve Clardy
03-21-2006, 7:06 PM
Yep. An old schooler. I like that.
Maybe swing by and leave him a deposit, explaining--IF its still here and the other guy leaves without it, I want it.

Michael Gabbay
03-21-2006, 7:15 PM
If you are really interested then I would ask to see it and make him the offer. Tell him that you respect his decision to wait until the other guy has a look. But at least you have given him an offer and you know what you are buying. Also, since you are acknowledging his integrity he may be more inclined to sell it to you if the other guy starts to haggle.

my 2 cents...

Brad Noble
03-21-2006, 7:44 PM
Well Brandon, I went to a gentlemans house over this past weekend in search of some tools that were listed in a newspaper classified page. I found them! PM66 w/sliding table, Hitachi F1000A 12" planer with 6" jointer and a Mini Max S45 bandsaw. I agreed to his asking price, without question, and offered to pay him in full right there. I told him I could not arrange to pick them up until this coming weekend and he said to not worry about paying him until I come to pick them up. Now this guy is probably 68-70 yrs old and he had been a man of his word up to this point. When I called him, he had other inquiries about them but I was the first to show up and see them. I called him on Saturday, and told him if they were in fact what he said they were then I would take them. On Sunday, when I arrived, he told me he had received several calls about the equipment but told them I had first chance. THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL! I offered (twice) to pay him in full and he did not want the money. He really doesn't need it.

Yes, I have called him back and they're still there and they are still mine!

Brad

Scott Vigder
03-21-2006, 8:13 PM
Why don't you offer to be the Thursday Buyer 's back-up if the thursday buyer does not show? If he gave his word to you, you'd want him to keep it. Otherwise, you can help him honor honor his word and maybe help him out if the other guy doesn't show.

Frank Pellow
03-22-2006, 6:58 AM
Good for the guy that you are talking about!

Maybe it was not wise of him to make the promise he did, but he did make it and he is sticking to it. In my view, his actions show the best of human nature!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-22-2006, 7:36 AM
....if you were raised that way (and I'm not saying anyone was not, so don't go there).

I was raised that way, I know my dear old Dad still works that way, yes over the years he has been burned a time or two, but he is still honest and has his integrity intact.

I'd say that the older gentleman may not have had any idea of the value of his used old tool, and or the number of people that would be interested in it. The first guy that calls him says "I'm busy until Thursday night, but if it is what you say it is, I'll take it for sure, can you hold it for me until Thursday..?" the honest older gentleman says "Yes I can, see you Thursday".

Now you call him, and he tells you that until the first guy that he gave his word to passes on the item, it is not up for grabs.

I'm sorry, but I do not see anything wrong and or strange about this gentleman's human nature, in fact, I think it should be applauded and respected.

Now if the older gentleman really wanted to play on human nature he could have done this, he could have said "Sure come and see it" you show up and say "Ya, I'll take it" then he calls Mr. Thursday and says "Gee I got a guy here now, cash in hand....." Mr. Thursday says "OK, I'll give you $150..."

The Older Gent says to you, "Hey, Mr. Thursday says he'll pay me more, if you want it right now, you got to pony up $200....."

Is that the kind of "Human Nature" that one can understand...? :D

Still, I hope you get the saw, I agree with others that you should go by and see the saw, and make sure he knows you are number two on the list. You never know, maybe there are other tools there that the older gent is thinking of selling.

Good Luck!!

Chris Damm
03-22-2006, 8:00 AM
Money talks! BS walks!
As one who used to believe in people and has wasted entirely too much time waiting on no shows!

Frank Pellow
03-22-2006, 8:17 AM
Money talks! BS walks!
As one who used to believe in people and has wasted entirely too much time waiting on no shows!
I am very happy to say that one can refuse to live their life according the "money talks" motto. "Integrity" and "honesty" are much more important!

Mike Parzych
03-22-2006, 8:31 AM
Whenever I'vd sold lumber the first person to call gets first shot, then the second person, etc...regardless of when they can get there. It's the only fair way to do things.

Plus, if he's "elderly" waiting for someone to show up may be his highlight of the day.

03-22-2006, 8:45 AM
Money talks! BS walks!
I'm with Frank! :D

I was told a story once by a very wise man....

An old man sat outside the gates of a walled city, taking his rest after a long hard day of work. A stranger approached the old man and asked

"What kind of people dwell in your city, old man, is it safe to enter this place?"

The old man looked up at the stranger and said, "Well my son, what kind of people live in your home city...?"

The stranger quickly answered, "Liars, cheats and thieves live in my city"

The old man sighed, and said, "Well then you will find only liars thieves and cheats live here, I would carry on to a safer city"

The stranger left.

A few minutes later another stranger approached the old man, he said "Father, what kind of people dwell in your city..is it a safe place?"

Again the old man asked "Well my son, what kind of people live in your city?"

The stranger replied "I'm very fortunate, my city is full of kind ,generous, honest hardworking people"

The old man smiled and said to the stranger "Please enter our city, you will find it filled with kind, generous, honest and hardworking people.
Just a thought.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-22-2006, 8:51 AM
Definitely a man of principle...not many of those left. Ask him what time Thursday then call him.

Frank Pellow
03-22-2006, 8:54 AM
I'm with Frank! :D

I was told a story once by a very wise man....

Just a thought.
Great story Stu. And it's very very true! I have printed it and tacked to the notice board in our office -where I know some folks who will benefit by reading it.

Brian Buckley
03-22-2006, 9:01 AM
"A man of his word" It is great to know that some people live by their word. I do what I say I will do, even if it does not work out for me. Thank goodness some other people still do the same.

Brian

Perry Holbrook
03-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Seems to me that the seller is missing something, a Greed gene. Wouldn't it be great if more people were missing theirs?

Perry

Brandon Shew
03-22-2006, 1:18 PM
I'm not complaining about the guy keeping his word (if in fact that is what he is doing). That is a rare and noble thing these days and he should be commended for that. I have no problems there and that's not what the post was meant to be about.

What I found interesting is economical/psychological aspect that he was willing to wait for uncertainty when he could have a guaranteed sale today. I work in sales for a living and have learned a lot about human nature in that respect.

Strictly economically speaking here (and from my experiance) - As both a buyer and a seller you can't expect the world to wait for you. As a potential buyer I may be out shopping for another saw now that his may be unavailable and that will take me out of the market. If this guy doesn't show on Thursday or if he doesn't want the saw then the seller has one less potential customer to sell to. As a seller he should recognize this and act on it. Also as a seller why would he risk the uncertainty that the guy may or may not show up on Thursday and that he may or may not buy the saw. He had a willing buyer right in front of him and refused the sale.

I know that there has been a fair amount of buyer sided research into decision making, etc, but I wonder what has been done on the seller side of things. It would make for an interesting psychology of economics experiment.

Maybe I'm too analytical or Darwinian here. I don't see it about greed (or lack thereof) or keeping your word, but just basic business sense.

Unfortunately I've wasted too much time with people not coming through as promised or a last minute change of mind after something has been agreed to. Unless I know you personally or you have proved to me otherwise - your "word" isn't worth much these days (until you back it up). As some have mentioned - show me the money and I'll know you're serious - otherwise don't waste my time. (I could do more productive things with it!)

Ian Barley
03-22-2006, 1:41 PM
Brandon

The problem is that humans are not strictly economic animals. Neither are we entirely governed by genetic impulse in a Darwinian sense.

We have a structure called society or culture or call it what you will, which overlays our gentic competitive impulse. This gentleman is being governed by his opinion of societal or cultural norms. His view is that having made a commitent to somebody he is going to adhere to it. He is thinking, or at least I would be if I was him, what happens if I let this go and then the chap turns up on Thursday and I have to explain that i lied to him. Because failing to maintain an agreeement you have made is to make the original commitment a lie.

How would yo feel if he had said "Sure come on over" and only at the end of a long drive had said to you "Actualy I've given first refusal to somebody else so I can't make a deal until ThursdaY".

I make my living by selling what I make. I could sell more if I was willing to be less honest and scrupulous about what i do. I would have more money and less contentment. Having had lots of money and no contentment in the past I would far rather have lots of contentment and no money.

From a psychological persepective, the ability to defer gratification is a sign of maturity. A three year old offered $1 now or $10 in 4 weeks time will take the dollar. This gentleman is making the choice to have a potentially above board transaction in a few days time which leaves him financially and psychologically satisfied rather than a certain one today which potentially leaves him financially satisfied but psychologically disatisfied.

Not getting down on you at all - but there is always more to any transaction than economics.

Tom Jones III
03-22-2006, 1:55 PM
What I found interesting is economical/psychological aspect that he was willing to wait for uncertainty when he could have a guaranteed sale today. I work in sales for a living and have learned a lot about human nature in that respect.

Now we are getting to something interesting. Given his low price you must assume that either he is stupid, or he is not operating on the same concept of money as your above statement would imply. If he was living on a working class income with many expenses, then uncertainty and the sale itself becomes much more important. If he makes a large 6 figure salary he may have considered leaving a $100 tool out by the curb for someone/garbage collector to take rather than bother selling it.

03-22-2006, 2:05 PM
The other thing is you do not know "Who" Mr Thursday is, maybe it is his neighbour, a young guy with a family and a tight budget, and he has to see if he can afford the $125 or not, so he is giving the 1st chance to say "No" to someone who he would rather see the saw go to.

The other thing is that a week, or two weeks, to a guy like this may not seem like much of a wait, if he sells it this week fine, if not, oh well it will sell next week or next month.

Anyways, this has been a fun read, and in the end, if you do get the saw, you will have a good story to go with it.

Cheers!

Tom Andersen
03-22-2006, 2:09 PM
Unless I know you personally or you have proved to me otherwise - your "word" isn't worth much these days (until you back it up). As some have mentioned - show me the money and I'll know you're serious - otherwise don't waste my time. (I could do more productive things with it!)

I hope that you are not right about that one. To me a word is sacred. A written agreement can be renegotiated, cancelled, etc. but a word is a word. I would be proud if those who know me felt that they could always count on a word from me. One of the biggest assets of life. In marriage, business, human relations, woodworking, etc.

Well, maybe I am just old-fashioned... Sorry if I'm off topic.

Tom

Brandon Shew
03-22-2006, 2:14 PM
Ian

You're missing my point (I think) - what I found interesting was the fact that he made the initial decision to hold it until Thursday instead of saying "I'm sorry you can't make it here sooner. I may still have the saw on Thursday, but I can't be sure. Call me on Thursday before you want to come see it to make sure I still have it."

His word, honesty, scruples, etc. all comes AFTER the above decision was made (and I'm not questioning those). I agree - economics isn't just the transaction, but all of the driving forces behind it. What I'm getting at (and everyone is looking past) is that I wonder what the driving forces behind his initial decision were.

Working in sales - my driving force is being able to feed my family. I don't find myself in a position very often (although it does happen) where I refuse a sale to a willing buyer that meets all of the buying criteria. If I have a product for sale with multiple interested parties - I make them all aware that there is only one of said product available, that I have other interested buyers, and the first person to commit (write the deposit check and sign the contract) gets it. I can't always give it to the person that I like best or the person that called first because they may be slower in making a decision or may not make a decision at all. That doesn't make me less honest or unscrupulous or greedy. I conduct all of my business within strict ethical guidelines and I treat all of my customers the way that I would want to be treated by them if I were in their position. I'm not making a killing - just a living and I wouldn't do it at someone else's expense.

It doesn't matter really since he's not a business man and he's not feeding a family on a bandsaw - he's just a guy selling a saw and it doesn't make a difference to him if he gets paid today, Thursday or never. Why?

Rob Blaustein
03-22-2006, 3:26 PM
It doesn't matter really since he's not a business man and he's not feeding a family on a bandsaw - he's just a guy selling a saw and it doesn't make a difference to him if he gets paid today, Thursday or never. Why?
I think the answer to "why?" lies in that first sentence. He likely doesn't have a salesperson's mentality. As you say, "he's just a guy selling a saw." He's not selling a fancy house in a hot real estate market where hesitation might make a 50-100K difference. He's had the saw for 10 years and maybe his wife is bugging him to make more room in the garage our house. Who knows. But it doesn't surprise me at all that he's not in some big rush. What's another few days or weeks of having that saw around when his word is at stake?

Perry Holbrook
03-22-2006, 3:30 PM
Brandon, what do you sell?

Perry

Tom Spallone
03-22-2006, 4:06 PM
You should show up real early on Thursday and say, "Yea, I'm the guy that called."

Slap $125 in his hand and skeedaddle!!!!!!

Brandon Shew
03-22-2006, 4:14 PM
Brandon, what do you sell?

Perry

Communications hardware (or to grossly overly generalize it - telephone systems).

T.J. Mahaffey
03-22-2006, 6:14 PM
I'm enjoying this thread.

I completely agree with those who commend this old timer's ethics.
I would operate exactly the same way.

Although I understand the sales end of this and those who suggest it might be wiser to follow one's economic senses, I save that sort of thinking for business and career. Not this kind of one-on-one human interaction.

Our society today is absolutely consumed with "shareholder value", "return on investment" and making money at all costs. To our detriment.

The world would be a far, far better place if everyone held themselves to the same standards as Mr. Bandsaw Seller. Without a doubt.

Frank Pellow
03-22-2006, 9:38 PM
Unless I know you personally or you have proved to me otherwise - your "word" isn't worth much these days (until you back it up).

Brandon, I believe exactly the opposite. Until someone has proven otherwise, I trust their word. And, I am happy to say, that I have seldom been disappointed.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2006, 9:49 PM
Brandon..........I think I know how this guy operates.........the same as I. When I give my word to someone......it's my word....my integrity.....I value few things more than my integrity. If someone told me they'd be by on Thursday to buy it and I said I'd wait until Thursday.....I'd wait until they had a chance to see it and make me an offer .....Now if I told that same guy .....if another opportunity comes along in the mean time, I will sell........then I'd sell it. I do what I do for a living but the monetary rewards are not the sole reason. In fact, I could be making more money elsewhere and have turned down offers to go elsewhere for more income. I truly enjoy what I do......I find it an intellectual challenge and very satisfying. But...when I tell a customer, a doctor, a radiological technologist X....that's the truth as I know it.....that's when I intend on doing something.......That's what I found..what I did.....If I tell somebody I'll hold it until Thursday.....until you have a chance to look at it and make an offer.........That's my word.......I value few things more than my integrity!

Tom Spallone
03-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Wonder what he would have said if you offered $150 right there on the spot?

Tom Spallone
03-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Probably - "Thursday, Schmursday!!!!! You got a deal".

:D

Richard Blaine
03-23-2006, 12:21 AM
He's not selling a fancy house in a hot real estate market where hesitation might make a 50-100K difference.

My word is a commitment no matter how big the deal.

Twenty years ago, I walked away from an easy 20% increase in a real estate sale because I had already given my word to the prospective buyer that I would accept his offer. Nothing had been signed, and the next day, the real estate agent told me he had another buyer willing to pay the extra amount. It didn't take long to tell the agent that we weren't going to back out on the original deal.

It sure hurt to walk away from that money, but it would have hurt more to know that I had backed out on a deal.

Tim Morton
03-23-2006, 5:58 AM
I'm not complaining about the guy keeping his word (if in fact that is what he is doing). That is a rare and noble thing these days and he should be commended for that. I have no problems there and that's not what the post was meant to be about.

Strictly economically speaking here (and from my experiance) - As both a buyer and a seller you can't expect the world to wait for you. As a potential buyer I may be out shopping for another saw now that his may be unavailable and that will take me out of the market. If this guy doesn't show on Thursday or if he doesn't want the saw then the seller has one less potential customer to sell to. As a seller he should recognize this and act on it. Also as a seller why would he risk the uncertainty that the guy may or may not show up on Thursday and that he may or may not buy the saw. He had a willing buyer right in front of him and refused the sale.

I know that there has been a fair amount of buyer sided research into decision making, etc, but I wonder what has been done on the seller side of things. It would make for an interesting psychology of economics experiment.

Maybe I'm too analytical or Darwinian here. I don't see it about greed (or lack thereof) or keeping your word, but just basic business sense.

Unfortunately I've wasted too much time with people not coming through as promised or a last minute change of mind after something has been agreed to. Unless I know you personally or you have proved to me otherwise - your "word" isn't worth much these days (until you back it up). As some have mentioned - show me the money and I'll know you're serious - otherwise don't waste my time. (I could do more productive things with it!)

. I think when you get to the point in your life where "integrity" is worth more than money you will no longer be confused.:cool:

Bill Lewis
03-23-2006, 6:45 AM
You're missing my point - what I found interesting was the fact that he made the initial decision to hold it until Thursday instead of saying "I'm sorry you can't make it here sooner. I may still have the saw on Thursday, but I can't be sure. Call me on Thursday before you want to come see it to make sure I still have it."

His word, honesty, scruples, etc. all comes AFTER the above decision was made (and I'm not questioning those). Brandon, I see your point and I believe there it is a valid one. I too believe that the seller may have committed prematurely to the first buyer. The fact that he is sticking to his commitment is admireable, but he could also be experiencing some remorse in making the commitment.
I can imagine many scenarios and motivations for this individual. On the one hand, my thoughts are that he is inexperienced in selling, or it could just be the way he operates, very laid back. I suppose we'll never know the true answers to this. that is unless the "Thursday guy" (today) falls through.

Jason Tuinstra
03-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Brandon, I'm glad I read this post. At first I thought you were questioning the guys integrity. Like Bill, I see your point now. You're making the same point that Lee was making on page one. Very valid. If I ever sell anything like this, I'll be sure to stick to my word, but make sure that I don't prematurely give my word.

Having said that, I still believe that I'll never ultimately get "burned" by taking someone at their word. It's too bad for the other person if their word is worthless. Quite sad, actually, but it's their problem, not mine. I understand that this isn't how one does multi-million dollar business contracts [hand shake and background check required here :p ], but that's not what we're talking about here. Though some think their bandsaws are priceless ;)

Hope you get the saw! Thanks for the post.

Scott Vigder
03-23-2006, 2:21 PM
We're all dying to know what happened!

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 2:33 PM
Yes. Fill us in:confused: :D

Mike Parzych
03-23-2006, 4:07 PM
The way I see it Brandon, you didn't get what you wanted - that seems to be the real issue.

The guy has a right to do anything he damn well pleases, and has no obligation to act in a way that satisfies your ideas of business practice or behavior "standards."

Get over it.

Brandon Shew
03-23-2006, 4:09 PM
I called today at 10:30 AM after I got out of my morning appointment and the saw had already been picked up by it's new owner - unfortunately it's not me.

Tom S. - I thought previously about offering the guy $150. It can be hard to judge someone based on a 5 minute phone call, but my feeling after talking to him is that he was a man of his word and that it probably wouldn't have made a difference. Besides I didn't want to risk making him angry or come across as pushy since I wanted an opportunity on Thursday if there was going to be one.

Tim M. - In the future you may want to read the entire thread before you post something that could potentially be taken as an insult (money vs. integrity thing??). You would have found my clarification post referring to what I was actually trying to get at (thus realizing that money and integrity weren't really the issues.). I didn't take it as an insult though as I see you were quoting from my first post which was more ambiguous about the issue.

Brandon Shew
03-23-2006, 4:29 PM
The way I see it Brandon, you didn't get what you wanted - that seems to be the real issue
Not really. I was actually looking for a jointer or planer when I came across the saw. (but if you only look at everything on the surface you may not have realized that.)

The guy has a right to do anything he damn well pleases, and has no obligation to act in a way that satisfies your ideas of business practice or behavior "standards".
You're absolutely right. I don't think that I ever indicated anywhere that he had an obligation to act in any way.

Get over it.
From the tone of your post it sounds like you should follow your own advice.

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 4:45 PM
The way I see it Brandon, you didn't get what you wanted - that seems to be the real issue.

The guy has a right to do anything he damn well pleases, and has no obligation to act in a way that satisfies your ideas of business practice or behavior "standards."

Get over it.
Mike, I think you should read the thread before you read Brandon the Riot Act. He has clearly explained his query and the reasons for it, and there is nothing for him to "get over". I'll leave it at that.

- Vaughn

Hank Knight
03-23-2006, 5:01 PM
Does it trouble anyone that integrity and honoring one's word are so generally labeled as "old school" in this thread? What does that say about currently accepted ethical standards? If one were cynical, the answer would be quick to the tongue. Too bad! I would like to think that honesty, integrity and living by one's word are still the accepted norm and that sharp practice and double dealing are held in low regard by the general public. Maybe my glasses are getting a little rosey in my old age.

John Lannon
03-23-2006, 6:54 PM

You got that right