PDA

View Full Version : 5th New England Woodturning Symposium

Dave Anderson NH
03-21-2006, 1:05 PM
The Guild of NH Woodworkers and the Granite State Woodturners are pleased to invite you to attend the 5th in a series of woodturning symposiums to be held on Saturday May 13th at Pinkerton Academy in Derry, NH. Every three years we sponsor this event which draws about 300-350 turners from all over the northeastern US. This years symposium features 28 demonstrators in four rotations, an instant gallery, and a trade show. The $50 admission includes a box lunch.

For full details of the event including a list of demonstrators and their topics, a list of trade show vendors, a schedule of events, downloadable brochures, and a registration form can be obtained on the website at www.gnhw.org/turning2006 (http://www.gnhw.org/turning2006)

The Guild of NH Woodworkers is an IRS recognized 501c3 not for profit organization and the Granite State Woodturners are a chapter of the American Association of Woodturners.

Andy Hoyt
03-21-2006, 7:04 PM
Gotta check with the boss, but I think I'll go.

Anyone else?

Rich Stewart
03-21-2006, 7:07 PM
Too soon after my colonoscopy.

David Fried
03-21-2006, 10:36 PM
I received the mailing a couple of weeks ago and I was seriously considering it. Of course, now that the Hoyt guy is armed, I'm worried. :eek: You can't take a bonker across state lines, can you??:confused:

Dave Fried

Andy Hoyt
03-21-2006, 11:05 PM
I received the mailing a couple of weeks ago and I was seriously considering it. Of course, now that the Hoyt guy is armed, I'm worried. :eek: You can't take a bonker across state lines, can you??:confused:

Dave Fried
Yes you can, yes I will, and you better watch out!

The boss has issued a decree granting me an overnight trip to the banana belt for this affair. Clearance from the Maine Parole Board for out of state travel and consumption of adult style beverages is on file. Vaccinations from the family veternarian will be acquired next week. Geez! I might even get a haircut!

Roger Myers
03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Andy,
Will be looking forward to seeing you... Be sure to ID yourself if you get a haircut, or I can just look for the signature Bonker:)
We may have to bring in special security for the event if we have to many out-of-towners arriving with bonkers....

David,
NH requires that all bonkers be officially sanctioned by Sawmill Creek, and must be visible at all times....unless you are bringing the itty-bitty bonker.... Idaho Salmon Bonkers are expressly forbidden so as to prevent cross-contamination with the official NH brown trout bonkers.

Andy Hoyt
05-08-2006, 7:34 PM
Bumping this back up top.

Anyone else going?

Jim Ketron
05-08-2006, 7:42 PM
Sounds like it's gona be a great show wish I was closer!

Curt Fuller
05-08-2006, 8:35 PM
Too soon after my colonoscopy.

Rich it's the day before the colonoscopy that you want to stay real close to home.:eek:

If I win the powerball, I'll be there.

Andy Hoyt
05-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Just got home from today's event and wanted to report in that I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Derry, NH for the symposium. Having never been to one of these previously my expectations were unclear. Kinda figured it would be like a regular turning club meeting - just bigger.

But no. It was better. Way better. The instant gallery of amazing stuff truly boggled the mind and will no doubt push me deeper into the abyss as I continue to search for a unique corner within to call my own.

There were four rotations during the day and each one had seven demos running simultaneously and all were on distinctly different aspects of our addiction. Narrowing down 28 possibles into 4 choices was tough.

I rubbed elbows with numerous nationally known turners; conducted a mini-meeting of the Maine Woodturners chapter as nearly a third of our membership was there; and chatted briefly with two very important guys - fellow SMCers Peter James and Dave Anderson.

My thanks to the GNHW for putting together a wonderful and memorable day. I'll be back!

Dave Anderson NH
05-14-2006, 7:40 AM
The symposium was a great success for both the guild and for the registrants. We had miserable and heavy all day wind driven rain, but no one really seemed to care. There were over 375 registered attendees plus the demonstrators and other staff bringing the total to over 420 people. The instant gallery had about 200 turnings on display with examples of almost every type and shape of lathe made object you could imagine.

We pushed hard selling raffle tickets for the items donated and sold to us at discount by vendors in the trade show. The raffle supported and paid for 3 complete turning packages of a mini-lathe, an 8" grinder, a Wolverine sharpening setup, a basic turning tools set, and a small assortment of wood blanks. The 3 packages will be given out to the winners of an essay contest for the young middle school and high school turners who attended the previous days Youth Turning Symposium. The Youth Symposium attracted over 200 students from 24 schools throughout New England and was completely free of charge to the kids. It was supported by an educational opportunity grant from AAW with supplementary funds provided by the Guild of NH Woodworkers.

I thouroughly enjoyed my chance to meet Andy Hoyt though the time we had to talk was far too short.

Syd Lorandeau
05-14-2006, 6:27 PM
Dave'
Way To Go -- 1000 POSTS

Syd L