PDA

View Full Version : How can i do this with my tools?

Josh Goldsmith
03-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I would like to build a custom filing cabinet. I am thinking about making the sides wavy. The problem is since most filing cabinets are 14"-16" deep, laminate bending becomes a problem since my bandsaw can only resaw 12". I have not done any laminate bending before but i think i can do it. Is it possible to resaw 2 pieces of wood 7-8" laminate bend them and after glue them together to make a wide piece? I am trying to do all of it my self without going to a cabinet maker or professional wood shop. Something about doing it all myself really appeals to me. The wood i am thinking about is air dried black walnut. Thanks

tod evans
03-21-2006, 12:37 PM
josh, look into bending plywood, aka "wigglewood" ..02 tod

Josh Goldsmith
03-21-2006, 1:30 PM
hey todd are you talking about using the wigglewood then veneering it? Thanks Josh

tod evans
03-21-2006, 1:42 PM
hey todd are you talking about using the wigglewood then veneering it? Thanks Josh

yup, that`s an option...02 tod

Tom Jones III
03-21-2006, 1:43 PM
I don't think you will be happy if you create two pieces of bent laminated wood and then try to edge glue them. I think you'll find that the curves are slightly different and you'll end up doing a lot of sanding. The bendable plywood is probably the best idea.

For something different, I thought about bricklaying pieces when I encountered the same problem. I never tried it because I went with bendable plywood with a veneer over the top.

Of course, I had the wrong solution. The only good solution to this problem is buy a bigger BS!