PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw redo finished! pics

Ed Labadie
03-21-2006, 9:53 AM
I purchased this 1979 vintage Uni at a surplus auction about a month ago & have finially got it all ready to go. After a good cleaning, there wasn't to much wrong mechanically other than the arbor bearings & belts, I did have to replace the arbor :mad: after having a really hard time removing the rusted on pulley. The table top was covered in light rust but cleaned up really good with only a few rust spots on one extension wing.
I used magnetic sign material to block off openings in the saw to promote better dust collection, there is a piece that goes over the tilt adjustment slot that isn't on in the pics. The louvered cleanout door was covered on the back side too. The magnetic sign material wasn't my idea, just copying someone else.
I made the extension table & mobile base, purchased a new motor cover & Unifence. The dust collection adapter was a little tricky, I made a "mold" the same size as the rectangular port on the saw & using a heat gun, formed a 4" piece of pvc to fit. A fernco coupling is used to hook up to flex hose.

Ed

This is what I started with.

Finished.

Dust collection port.

tod evans
03-21-2006, 9:59 AM
nice job ed! that should last you for years..02 tod

Mark Pruitt
03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I used magnetic sign material to block off openings in the saw to promote better dust collection, there is a piece that goes over the tilt adjustment slot that isn't on in the pics. The louvered cleanout door was covered on the back side too. The magnetic sign material wasn't my idea, just copying someone else.

Ed,

Great job! I'd like to see a pic of the magnetic sign material you're talking about, if possible.

Mark

Steve Clardy
03-21-2006, 10:19 AM
She looks sweet!! Nice job

Byron Trantham
03-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Nice job! Should run for years....

Ed Labadie
03-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Ed,

Great job! I'd like to see a pic of the magnetic sign material you're talking about, if possible.

Mark

Mark,
It's the same material thats use for magnetic signs that you "stick" to a vehicle. I found a place that prints them in the yelllow pages (under "signs"), they were nice enough to sell me some scrap for a few bucks. It cuts real easy with scissors.
Only downfall is the stuff only comes in white.
If you look in the 3rd pic, there is a piece above the electric box.

Thanks for the positive comments guys, it's appreciated.

Ed

Jim DeLaney
03-21-2006, 12:09 PM
...I'd like to see a pic of the magnetic sign material you're talking about, if possible.
Mark

Mark,
Instead of the sign material, I used magnetic heat register covers. They're available at the big box centers - three 9 X 12 pieces for about $5.00. You can cut them with scissors to whatever shape you need.

Works well, and (maybe) a bit more readily available than the sign stuff.