PDA

View Full Version : Catalogues

Chuck Beland
03-21-2006, 5:11 AM
Hey fellow creek-ers- for you down south crik-ers. LOL

LOML is getting me my jet lathe for our 24th anniversary coming up April 9th, I'm looking to get some stuff (tools) now I'm drooling thinking of getting more tools. Can you give me some good wood turning companies to buy stuff from. especially if they have catalogues I can read while I'm sitting in my work van having lunch. Also companies to stay away from due to poor quality in thier products.
I have the Packard & Lee valley one already. I'm looking to buy a DC system for my basement that is where my shop is it's approx 8' x 10' I'm also looking to buy a sharpening system (which is better in your experience Tormek or Wolverine?)
and Chucks any advice is welcome at all
Thanks for all your help

Chuck

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2006, 7:09 AM
Chuck..........I was just forced into turning a few weeks ago! A number of people here sent me some links to some internet sites that were considerably cheaper than most for turning tools. It seems that tools will often end up costing more than the lathe! So here's my advice based on my limited experience:

1. Buy the set of $39 HF freight tools to practice your sharpening on. In a lot of cases that dollar amount won't buy a tool. While you're in the learning stage of sharpening why grind away good steel?

2. I bought the Wolverine sharpening system. Works great even for a novice! While the Tormek is probably the better system, I didn't want to have to wait 6 months to sharpen the dull tools. I do all my hobbies on a cash basis only. You can get the entire Wolverine system for about 1/3 the price of the Tormek system.

3. As I don't want to take a chance on breaking the TOS of SMC, I'll PM you a couple of internet sites from which I've bought tools. I found one that is cheaper than others but haven't used it yet. The others I've had nothing but good service from.

4. If you have never turned you should consider buying Bill Grumbine's video, the Richard Raffan videos from FWW and a couple of books. I'm in Milwaukee this week and don't have access to my books right now.

Good luck and stand by to get addicted! Glad I quit smoking earlier this year so I can afford this hobby!

Dick Parr
03-21-2006, 8:47 AM
Some of the ones I have and use besides the two you have that have a catalog are;

Grizzly, The Woodturners Catalog by Craft Supplies USA ,Hartville Tools, Rockler, Klingspors Woodworking Shop, Woodworkers Supply, Woodcraft and Penn State.

Of course there are other places to get good tools and sales but they only have web site.

Have fun and good luck.