PDA

View Full Version : Why a floating panel instead of solid panel?

Andy Fox
03-21-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand all of the reasons for using a floating panel instead of just a one piece solid wood panel glue-up. I know that floating panels allow for wood movement, but is there any other reason to use a floating panel instead of a solid one if wood movement isn't an issue?

Marion Rood
03-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Wood movement is the answer. If you were to use plywood(mdf), you could glue it in and add strength to the panel.

J.R. Rutter
03-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Do you mean a panel made of individual planks tongue and grooved vs a panel made of glued together boards?

Either type needs space on the sides so it can expand/contract without destroying the frame. If it's not in a frame, then just make allowances for anything rigid that might be attached to it...

Gary Breckenridge
03-21-2006, 12:54 AM
:rolleyes: Sometimes only one reason is enough. But here there are two. If the panel is a snug fit and it expands it can push the rail and stile joint apart. The other reason is that movement can distort the door so you will have a slightly curved door. A one foot panel can move 1/4 inch across the grain but almost nothing with the grain. I have wondered about using a flexible caulk. :rolleyes: That said, you can maybe go 6 inches and get away with it. ;) yes, I have learned some woodworking lessons the hard way.:D

Andy Fox
03-21-2006, 9:52 AM
J.R., thanks. Yes, I mean a panel floating in a frame vs. a bunch of glued up boards with no frame.
_
[_] vs. [][][]

One thing I though of is that maybe a framed floating panel is used so that there would be less exposed, delicate end grain?

Andy Fox
03-21-2006, 9:59 AM
Marion and Gary, thanks, I'm ignoring wood movement. :eek: It's just not a big factor in what I'm building, and won't cause any problems. I'm not using frame-and-panel construction (unless there's a reason to other than wood movement). The solid piece of wood made of glued-up 4" boards will be free and not surrounded by a frame.

Charlie Plesums
03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
A solid panel should be fine, if it is unconstrained as you say. Since so much end grain shows, people often try to hide the end grain with a trim piece, then get into movement issues.

Also, if you are building something like the sides of a cabinet or chest of drawers, the internal structure becomes complex... since the front of the cabinet will be a different distance from the back of the cabinet as seasons change, the internal supports such as drawer runners must be able to slide.

Marion Rood
03-21-2006, 10:47 AM
The next thing that pops up is keeping it flat.
What are you building?

Andy Fox
03-21-2006, 2:20 PM
Thanks Charlie and Marion,

It's fairly simple construction. It's a cherry cradle that hangs and swings from middle supports at the head and foot. The sides will be mostly open with vertical slats (spindles if round). The two end pieces are joined by the slatted sides (vertical slats), which slope 5 degrees out from vertical. Where the side rails attach to the end pieces, the end pieces are about 3 inches wider at the top than at the bottom. The bottom of the cradle is floating 1/2" plywood.

I'm thinking that the two end panels will move equally, and that the top might expand a little more than the bottom because it's wider, but not enough to worry about.

Marion Rood
03-21-2006, 5:03 PM
sounds nice. good luck.

Reg Mitchell
03-21-2006, 7:27 PM
Andy,
They make a thing called spaceballs that fit in the grove the panel is going into if your worried about the panel ratteling. Its a little rubber ball that the wood can squeeze as it expands and will keep it from ratteling whan it srinks later. :)