PDA

View Full Version : Curly Cherry Plate **PICS**

Ken Salisbury
08-11-2003, 3:36 PM
I whipped this plate out yesterday and finished oiling today. It was made from a piece of the curly cherry board I gave Bill Grumbine last week (had to cut off 12" of it so I could get it in the truck). Plate is 11 ½" diameter and 3/16" thick. Light as a feather.

Bill - you better get in gear and make something out of the 7' piece :D.

Lee Schierer
08-11-2003, 3:56 PM
That's a nice plate Ken, haven't had time to finish the two plates that were turned from my piece of walnut.

Can't wait to see what Bill does with the cherry board, once it air dries again....all the people at the picnic kept drooling on it. One or two even tried to help Bill clean up his shop by offering to take it home with them. That was about the only time I've ever seen Bill G growl......must have learned how from Bubba.

Dave Avery
08-11-2003, 3:58 PM
Absolutely stunning work, Ken. You really did justice to a beautiful piece of wood. Mr. Grumbine has his work cut out for him..... Dave.

Tom Sweeney
08-11-2003, 4:25 PM
Ken - That sure is a purty plate you made yourself.

If Bill doesn't do something soon I might have to pay him a visit & help him to clean up his shop ;)

Is the wood already dry - do you have to worry about it warping at all?

Scott Greaves
08-11-2003, 4:42 PM
Ken!

That is absolutely beautiful! You did that piece of wood proud!

Scott.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-11-2003, 5:30 PM
That is Awesome Ken! :D That has to be one of the prettiest pieces of Cherry I have seen. I have some nicely figured Cherry, but nothing like that. Excellent use of a beautiful piece of wood. Thanks for sharing the pic. Nicely done! ;)

Ken Salisbury
08-11-2003, 5:30 PM
Is the wood already dry - do you have to worry about it warping at all?

Tom -- -- that board is 7 years old -- -- dryer than a Texas sagebrush !!

Todd Burch
08-11-2003, 5:58 PM
Ken, (or you other skilled turners), a few questions...

If I had a 12" square block, 3/4" thick, how would I start this type of turning? Would I mount a temp wood block to a faceplate, turn it round, then glue my 12" square block to that? After glued, would I then turn the outside of the plate, creating a recess in the middle bottom, into which I could chuck it with an inside chuck. Finally, turn it around and turn the inside?

How about a write up with pics. I have several cut-offs of this size that would look great turned into a plate like that. Great idea! (And, good looking plate too? What did you finish it with?

Also Ken, do you have a stash of those engraved logos? Do you just glue those in? Did you get them from Keith Outten?

Jim Baker
08-11-2003, 7:13 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Ken.

I'm anxious to get a lathe and try some turning, but Jane says I can't until I finish up all of the cabinets that we are building for our home.

Maybe someday...........

Tom Pritchard
08-11-2003, 8:03 PM
Ken, the plate is absolutely beautiful! I've never seen cherry with curl in it like that! Great way to display such an outstanding piece of wood!

Jim Becker
08-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Wow! That's a great piece, Ken. Great job!!!

Ken Salisbury
08-11-2003, 11:24 PM

If I had a 12" square block, 3/4" thick, how would I start this type of turning? Would I mount a temp wood block to a faceplate, turn it round, then glue my 12" square block to that? After glued, would I then turn the outside of the plate, creating a recess in the middle bottom, into which I could chuck it with an inside chuck. Finally, turn it around and turn the inside?

How about a write up with pics. I have several cut-offs of this size that would look great turned into a plate like that. Great idea! (And, good looking plate too? What did you finish it with?

Also Ken, do you have a stash of those engraved logos? Do you just glue those in? Did you get them from Keith Outten?
I did it somewhat as you describe - I cut the square to a circle first and also a scrap piece (a circle the size of my faceplate) and glued them together. Then mounted the faceplate to the scrap. Did the rest as you describe.

If you visit my web site you will find the information on the Medallion Logos. A link to the information is on the home page.

Bill Grumbine
08-15-2003, 8:42 AM
I whipped this plate out yesterday and finished oiling today. It was made from a piece of the curly cherry board I gave Bill Grumbine last week (had to cut off 12" of it so I could get it in the truck). Plate is 11 ½" diameter and 3/16" thick. Light as a feather.

Bill - you better get in gear and make something out of the 7' piece :D.

Very nice looking plate there Ken! What color are you going to paint it? :eek: Seriously, I am thinking some of that board is going for plates, and some for some small boxes. If I ever get caught up on my regular work, I am going to start in on all the neat wood people brought for me. Thanks again for the board!

Bill

Bill Grumbine
08-15-2003, 8:46 AM

If I had a 12" square block, 3/4" thick, how would I start this type of turning?

Hi Todd

There are a bunch of ways to hold a turning like this one. If you are going to use your tailstock, and not take huge bites out of the wood, you can even use double stick tape to hold the wood on the faceplate and save some time that you would wait for glue to dry. In any event, I like to use the tailstock for as long as possible with any turning. Not only do I have some of this fantastic cherry Ken gave me, I have some walnut crotch grain plate blanks waiting to be turned. :D

Bill

Todd Burch
08-15-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks Bill. I took an intro to wood turning class @ the local Woodcraft about 5 years ago. The instructor showed up how to use a piece of paper grocery bag and superglue with accelerator. We glued the brown kraft paper between the block of turned wood that was screwed to the faceplate and the wood we were turning. Fast, instant, and a guaranteed weak spot when you were ready to separate the two pieces. Would you sanction this type of "chucking?"

Martin Shupe
08-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Nice plate, Ken...

Please tell us what kind of finish you used.

I think someone asked already, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks,

Ken Salisbury
08-16-2003, 9:25 AM
Nice plate, Ken...

Please tell us what kind of finish you used.

I think someone asked already, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks,

Minwax Antique Oil and Minwax Finishing Wax

Bill Grumbine
08-18-2003, 8:36 AM
Thanks Bill. I took an intro to wood turning class @ the local Woodcraft about 5 years ago. The instructor showed up how to use a piece of paper grocery bag and superglue with accelerator. We glued the brown kraft paper between the block of turned wood that was screwed to the faceplate and the wood we were turning. Fast, instant, and a guaranteed weak spot when you were ready to separate the two pieces. Would you sanction this type of "chucking?"

Hi Todd

A glue chuck using CA glue is fine, although I don't know if I would bother with the paper bag. Traditionally, a paper joint in between the work and the waste block was used to make life easier in parting the thing off. I think it is a holdover from the old days when people either had flat bottoms or filled screw holes with putty. Nowadays people finish off the bottom in a variety of ways, many of the decorative. CA glue holds fairly well, but is susceptible to shearing forces, and will break easily from a shock. This is a weak joint if the turner is prone to catches, but holds well if the turner is not. Adding the paper in between just gives you one more thing to fiddle with, and doesn't really offer any benefit.

My favorite way to do plates is to hold the thing with a screw mounted in my scroll chuck, keeping a spacer between the plate and the chuck. I will turn a very short tenon on the bottom, reverse the plate, finish all but the tenon, and then reverse it once more to finish off the bottom. However, if I had to do it without a chuck, I would probably screw the blank to a faceplate (with several very short screws) for doing the bottom, and then either tape it or glue it to a waste block. It would still need to be reversed one more time to clean up the bottom, but that is the difference between a good plate and a great plate.

Bill