PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rest Cuts

Christopher K. Hartley
03-20-2006, 7:27 PM
Ok everyone I need help. What am I doing wrong? I have been discovering that I have been getting cuts in the metal of my tool rest. When I am going for a fluid motion of my cutting tool across the rest it sometimes hangs on the cut. I have filed them out but it is like the iron of the rest is soft and I continue to get them. I know it's a new guy problem...right?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2006, 7:32 PM
Chris..........as you are probably aware...I'm new to turning too! I suspect as we better develop our turning skills, the number of catches we experience will reduce and so will the number of Dings in the tool rest! :o That's just speculation on my part ....at this time!:D

Stephen Hibbs
03-20-2006, 7:41 PM
I haven't had this problem, nor am I experienced, but I imagine if you avoid keeping the tool in the same spot for long that won't happen. Just keep the tool moving around, you get fewer catches that way, I have found.

Gary Max
03-20-2006, 7:55 PM
The steel is soft---I just take mine and regind/clean-up the edge every once and a while.
Plus if you are new to turning---as you get more time under your belt you will do this less.
I like some of the aftermarket rest of there---they seen to work real smooth.

Bob Noles
03-20-2006, 8:02 PM
Chris,

I solved my problem by replacing the soft metal tool rest that came with my lathe.

Here is where I got the replacement http://monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.php Randy is a wonderful guy to work with. I have yet to put a ding in this replacement :D

Jim Ketron
03-20-2006, 8:08 PM
Don't know exactly what tools you are using to do this? But here is a little tip. If you will slightly round over the sharp corners on your skews and parting tool shafts, or any other tools with sharp edges, it will make your tool rest have less dents and rough spots.;)

Keith Christopher
03-20-2006, 8:11 PM
I completely agree with Jim, rounding my tools worked wonders.

Andy Hoyt
03-20-2006, 8:12 PM
Chris - Have you been primarily using a tool with a square or rectangular shape to the body of the shaft? If so, try softening those edges too. Like Gary said, grind, file, and wax the rest often.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-20-2006, 8:36 PM
Thanks everyone this really helps. I appreciate it.

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2006, 8:37 PM
Don't know exactly what tools you are using to do this? But here is a little tip. If you will slightly round over the sharp corners on your skews and parting tool shafts, or any other tools with sharp edges, it will make your tool rest have less dents and rough spots.;)

Right on Jim.....exactly a good way to solve most all your tool rest ding problems.

Mike Ramsey
03-20-2006, 9:30 PM
I concur with all above me Chris, round off any skew or square tool shafts,
every now and then I sand down the top of the rest and hit it with some silicone spray to make the tools slide easier.

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Chris I rounded off all my square tools and it has made a big difference.

Jim Becker
03-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Knock down the edges of your "flat" tools...they are what is doing the damage. But now I see that's already been suggested...and it's still good advice! Also your turning shouldn't result in any "banging" of the tool down on the rest. The rest is just there to help you guide the tooling smoothy.

Curt Fuller
03-20-2006, 11:00 PM

And it also will catch less on what little divots develop on your rests. You can just run a draw file across them every so often and keep them smooth.

John Hart
03-21-2006, 7:03 AM
I've found that my Rest gets banged up most during the initial roughing and rounding...just from the impact of corners of the wood on the gouge. My Tool Rest is fairly soft. Generally, if I have divots and dents, I'll file the Tool Rest smooth after that roughing stage. I also try to remove any sharp edges on the tool rest as well.