PDA

View Full Version : How hot is it in your shop?

Todd Burch
08-11-2003, 3:28 PM
This last week, we had consistent temps over 100°. I store this block of parafin wax on the end of my tablesaw fence. Apparently, it was overhanging just a bit and succumbed to the heat and gravity. It's been HOT!!

Today, it's only 92° in the shop. Oh, and high humidity and no breeze.

Wayne Johnson
08-11-2003, 3:36 PM
This last week, we had consistent temps over 100°. I store this block of parafin wax on the end of my tablesaw fence. Apparently, it was overhanging just a bit and succumbed to the heat and gravity. It's been HOT!!

I feel your pain as I am just a few miles down the road from you. However, it is pouring rain as I write this - at least it will be cooler this evening!

Wayne

Steve Clardy
08-11-2003, 3:39 PM
Had a few days like that here in Mo. a few weeks ago. I haven't finished the insulation in my roof yet, and it must have been 110-120 up there in the rafters. All my fans did was help dry out the sweat that was dripping on all my cast iron machinery tops. :rolleyes:

Ken Garlock
08-11-2003, 3:41 PM
Say Todd, did you buy that paraffin from Salvador Dali :D

BTW, it is 76 in my shop, even when it was 109 last week. :p

Ken Salisbury
08-11-2003, 3:43 PM
75° in mine everyday

Terry Hatfield
08-11-2003, 3:57 PM
72 deg. in mine....sorry.

Terry

Dave Anderson NH
08-11-2003, 4:07 PM
If I've been running the dehumidifier to keep the shop at my target of 35-40%, on hot days (85-95+) it can get up to 75 or 80. If I run the air conditioner instead of the dehumidifier, it stays around 70, but the humidity creeps slowly upward to 50%. I choose the cooler temps when I'm working with hand tools and I go for the lower humidity when I'm sketching, finishing, cleaning tools, or running the forked tail demons.

Bob Lasley
08-11-2003, 4:08 PM
Todd,

It's posts from these wise guys rubbing your nose in it that will make you go out and buy A/C for your shop. I wish now, someone had rubbed my nose in it earlier!

BTW, it's nice and cool in my shop too, or it will be when I go out and turn on the A/C here in a few minutes. :D

Bob

Jim Baker
08-11-2003, 7:25 PM
It's probably 70 degrees in there today. It takes a lot of very hot days in a row to get the temperature up to 75. I don't have any aair conditioning - just lots of insulation. Besides 6" of fiberglass in the ceiling and walls, there are around 4 layers of straw bales overhead. My shop is built in the center of an old livestock building.

Ron Meadows
08-11-2003, 7:26 PM
I keep my shop at the balmy temp of 72 degrees. Sweating all over my projects and tools ain't part of the plan!!

Ron

David Blangger
08-11-2003, 8:49 PM
So it is cooler at 75 degrees...hate to see the electric bill though :rolleyes:

David

scott spencer
08-11-2003, 9:01 PM
Cool!...well, not literally, but now you can wax two adjacent surfaces at the same time!

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-11-2003, 9:36 PM
My shop at home will generally be 10 degrees or so cooler than outside...until about 3:00 when it starts getting the full west sun. Then it's about the same as outside. The barn/patio at the mesquite outfit is old timey corrugated iron...and the only good thing about it is it keeps the direct sun off us. It's usually 10 degrees hotter in and under there than the outside temperature. I believe it was last Thursday when it was simply too hot to work...

KC

Dennis Peacock
08-11-2003, 9:44 PM
Put you in an Air Conditioner dude!!!! You will be so glad you did!!!! My shop usually ran around 100 to 119 degrees every single day in the summer....thus why I closed up shop mid-June and re-opened the shop in late September. I invested less than $600 at Lowes (12 months no payments and no interest) and now my shop is not only dryer, but up to 40 degrees cooler!!!! I am no longer fatigued from working in the heat in the shop and sweating all over the cast iron and wood finishes.

Now when I come in from the shop....I at least feel like I have done more than wipe up sweat and hope to keep sweat off the cast iron and finishes as they are applied.

Trust me....it is well worth the investment.

Lloyd Robins
08-11-2003, 10:04 PM
It has been up to 110 degrees here (outside). We do have low humidity most of the time. I think that Saturday it was 7%. I try to work in the mornings and the evening. California has made such a mess of electricity costs that I am not even considering an air conditioner right now. We use an evaporative cooler in the house, but I don't want one blowing on my tools. I might add however that it is shirtsleeve weather most of the winter. :)

Jim Becker
08-11-2003, 11:07 PM
I've been keeping it a reasonable 76-78º when working in the shop with a window airconditioner...largely to reduce the humidity. The one I have has a timer that I can set it to turn on an hour or two of when I expect to go into the shop the next day. By the time I actually arrive, it's comfortable. I also have some roll-up shades on the windows in my doors that I can put down if too much sun is raising the temperature in the mid- to late-morning hours.

markus shaffer
08-12-2003, 12:04 PM
It can be downright cold in my shop sometimes. The space I'm in came with this 3 phase/208 volt monster of an air conditioner. It was built by Chrysler and was installed in 1964 if the documentation is correct. Another half of it is up on the roof. Until last summer, it had the original motor in it. I had to replace that, but otherwise, 10 minutes of it being on and the penguins start to come out and mill about the shop.

-Markus

Dave Anderson
08-12-2003, 12:09 PM
I just happened to check my meters on Sunday...

82 degrees
63% humidity

Richard McComas
08-12-2003, 1:47 PM

I haven't been out to the shop yet today but I'd suspect it 70 degrees, thats what the thermostat is set on. With an outside temp of 56 degrees the furnace is running.