PDA

View Full Version : Finished Project: Print Stand

Ron Robinson
03-20-2006, 6:10 PM
I just finished this project and it contained two firsts for me. Figured wood and mortise and tenons.

As a relative newbie I like to pick projects that add to my repetoire of techniques, and this one fit the bill on two counts.

I am also learning, by doing and by reading the advice in this fine group, that a project starts with wood selection. Also, that no matter how well you cut and assemble, if you don't scrape and/or sand well enough, the project won't look good.

So, take a look please. Constructive (but gentle) criticism is always welcome.

Ron Robinson

Tom Pritchard
03-20-2006, 6:30 PM
I just finished this project and it contained two firsts for me. Figured wood and mortise and tenons.

As a relative newbie I like to pick projects that add to my repetoire of techniques, and this one fit the bill on two counts.

I am also learning, by doing and by reading the advice in this fine group, that a project starts with wood selection. Also, that no matter how well you cut and assemble, if you don't scrape and/or sand well enough, the project won't look good.

So, take a look please. Constructive (but gentle) criticism is always welcome.

Ron Robinson

Ron, the fit and finish of your stand is beautiful. I like the way that the Shaker style spindles look. I guess I have to ask an embarrasing question though, just what exactly does a print stand hold? I'm familiar with blueprints, but then I thought that it was for holding picture prints.

In any case, I like the way it looks!

Mike Cutler
03-20-2006, 6:54 PM
Ron.

I admit, that I have no idea what a print stand is, but I really like that one.
The wood is gorgeous, and all of the joints look well done.

What technique(s) did you use for the M&T joints? What worked well? what didn't work so well?

Whenever I finish a project, which is seldom:eek:, I always come back a week or so later and look at really closely, and ask myself what would I have done differently if I were to do again?

With what I see in your print stand, the only thing I would be tempted to change are the mitered corners. I would have tried to carry the contrast of the horizontal, and vertical lines in the center of the piece to the top and bottom rails. Hopefully tying the top and bottom to the middle.

It's a personal thing though. Plus, I suck at mitered corners.

It's a very nice piece. I would really like to see a pic of it in use. It's beautiful, and you should be very pleased.

Vaughn McMillan
03-20-2006, 7:02 PM
Great wood selection Ron, and I like how you used it. I'm with the others...what's a print stand? An action shot would help. ;) Whatever it is, ya done good.

- Vaughn

Ron Robinson
03-20-2006, 7:09 PM
The stand is supposed to display a print, or any framed piece of art or photograph. I think I'm going to keep it simple and find a nice black and white photograph that has a vertical subject matter to go with the design of the stand.

The mortises I did on the drill press with a Forstner followed by a clean-up with a chisel. The tenons on the table saw.

Ron

Mike Cutler
03-20-2006, 7:14 PM
The stand is supposed to display a print, or any framed piece of art or photograph. I think I'm going to keep it simple and find a nice black and white photograph that has a vertical subject matter to go with the design of the stand.

The mortises I did on the drill press with a Forstner followed by a clean-up with a chisel. The tenons on the table saw.

Ron

Very cool. An entire stand to display a single print. That's really going to be a stunning visual.

Rick Doyle
03-20-2006, 7:19 PM
very, very nice. the wood is just beautiful and the jointing looks perfect. i hope you've got a 'great print' to display in there!

Robert Mayer
03-20-2006, 7:25 PM
What finish did you use??

Jason Tuinstra
03-20-2006, 7:58 PM
Ron, the fit and finish look great. Excellent choice of wood. Your really made the maple "pop" with that figure. Very nice.

Ron Robinson
03-20-2006, 8:11 PM
The finish is BLO, followed by three coats of de-waxed garnet shellac (1 lb. cut), and then I rubbed it out with wax using 0000 steel wool.

Ron

Robert Mayer
03-20-2006, 8:51 PM
The finish is BLO, followed by three coats of de-waxed garnet shellac (1 lb. cut), and then I rubbed it out with wax using 0000 steel wool.

Ron

sorry, its 20 question time..

How many coats of blo did you use? I actually working with tiger maple right now.

Mike Waddell
03-20-2006, 9:58 PM
Ron -

Veerrry nice. I like the style of the piece as well as the execution.

Nicely done.

MW

John D Watson
03-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Great stand Ron, if you pick your print well, nobody will notice it (the print that is).

Jim Becker
03-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Yalza! Wow...that's some wonderful looking figured stock in that piece, Ron! You did a great job in both the construction and the finish. Awesome!

Ron Robinson
03-21-2006, 8:47 AM
Robert,

Two coats of BLO with two days in between. I don't know if that much time is necessary, but that was how long it was until I could get back to it. The shellac I padded on. I used a cloth wet with shellac wrapped in a cloth damp with alcohol. I rewetted the shellac rag when the finish got "dry" during application.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It means alot coming from a group like this.

Ron

Bobby Hicks
03-21-2006, 2:34 PM
Ron,

I made a lamp version of this for my son about 2 years ago. I found plans for the lamp in one of the WW magazines. I could find which one for anyone that wants to know.

From what I found this type of stand was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright to display his collection of Japanese block art. I was unable to find any pictures of stands he actually used. If I remember correctly the lamp was inspired by FLW's print stand.

Picture's of the on I made:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=11896&d=1098890828
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=11897&d=1098890834
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=11898&d=1098890841

Bobby Hicks
03-21-2006, 2:39 PM
Ron,

A question for you where did you get plans/idea for this?

I made my sons out of red oak (what I had available), with a Minwax honey oak stain.

Ron Robinson
03-21-2006, 8:23 PM
Bobby,

I used these plans.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1103

I love the lamp.

Ron