PDA

View Full Version : Abysserated...

Scott Fernald
03-20-2006, 4:29 PM
Had my intro to bowl turning class at Woodcraft on Saturday and it was informative, somewhat nerve-racking, and great fun! The first efforts at contacting the wood (we were using seasoned bowl blanks) with the Gouge was a nervous experience. Managed to chunk a piece out with a catch very early in the bottom shaping process. Got more at ease as I went on - then got nervous again near the end of the inside shaping as a couple of bowls in the class came apart on some bad catches as they were almost done...yikes! I sure didn't want to kill my bowl - but I managed to get it finished....

It is Canarywood, finished at home with some Watco and a couple of coats of Butchers wax.

Its a simple little thing but I'm happy with it...I also have a chunk of wet black cherry that the instructor gave us - we roughed the bottom to make a jam chuck for finishing our bowls. Turning that wet stuff is very messy and a hoot! I had bark and water flying :D

So in class we used the following:
Delta mini lathe
Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge, 1" scraper, and parting tool
Supernova chuck (and cole jaws)
Slow speed grinder
Wolverine jig and Vari-grind
bandsaw for roughing out the blanks
face mask

None of which I own...sigh...guess it will be a while before bowl number 2 comes along (unless I get lucky on craigslist). I'll start looking for deals on some of these pieces and gradually accrue them - keep the LOML from getting sticker shock!

My boys wanted to eat cereal out of the bowl...I told them you could only eat ice cream from a turned bowl. :cool:

Mark Cothren
03-20-2006, 4:43 PM
That is EXCELLENT, Scott!!!! Congratulations! That is a fantastic first bowl... just bite the bullet and jump on in there...

And yes, turned bowls are for ice cream... homestyle vanilla, to be more precise...

THANKS for the pictures!!! Looking forward to more of them sometime soon.

Cecil Arnold
03-20-2006, 4:45 PM
Yes the slope is slippery, welcome to the vortex.

Andy Hoyt
03-20-2006, 4:48 PM
....My boys wanted to eat cereal out of the bowl...I told them you could only eat ice cream from a turned bowl. :cool:

Now that's good parenting!

And a darn nice bowl, too.

Well done!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2006, 5:24 PM
Nice bowl Scott!

Jim Dunn
03-20-2006, 5:29 PM
Nice first bowl Scott. I like the grain and finish.

John Hart
03-20-2006, 5:59 PM
Well Done Scott...Welcome to the Abyssal.:) I've found that Grapes fill a bowl like that quite nicely as well. (I had bad parenting):o

George Conklin
03-20-2006, 6:35 PM
Very nice, Scott. I wish my first, second or tenth bowl turned out that good. You've got talent.

George

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2006, 6:37 PM
Mighty fine bowl Scott. You did great on the first one. Really like the Canary wood.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-20-2006, 9:44 PM
Congrats, Scott. Lookin' GOOD!

Bruce

Mike Ramsey
03-20-2006, 9:48 PM
Good job Scott! Looks like you need to pickup some Butter Pecan
then rub it in with a chilled spoon ;) .

Curt Fuller
03-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Ya done good, Pilgrim!

Ernie Nyvall
03-22-2006, 5:46 PM
Scott, that's a really nice bowl. You are destined to turn... that's what you say.:D

Ernie

Ed Scolforo
03-22-2006, 6:50 PM
Scott, I'm really liking that! Good work!
Ed