PDA

View Full Version : First Table Saw

Mike Hill
03-20-2006, 1:38 PM
Hi: I am a new member and I hope this type of post is OK in this section. I am in the process of deciding which table saw to buy for my home shop. Basically I have been looking at Delta and Jet Hybrid and Cabinet saws. My budget is in the $1,000 to $1,500 range. There is a JET 708663MBK 3 HP Left Tilt Tablesaw with 50" Fence Premier Fence and Mobile Base for $1,400 plus on amazon .com and the new Delata Hybrid saw, 1 1/2 HP, left tilt with Biesemeyer fence and 30" table for a little over $1,000. Basically I am sking for opinions on these and other comporable saws. Your thoughts on the best fence system would also be helpful.

Thanks
Mike

scott spencer
03-20-2006, 1:46 PM
A good rule of thumb IMHO is to buy the best saw you can afford. In your case, you should be able to get a good 3hp cabinet saw. The hybrids are fine for most hobby work, but your budget allows for the more substantial machine, and that's what I'd get. Just about all of them should do a great job...pick the features, color, price, circumstances, and the ever important "gut feel" that floats your boat. (compare your pulse rate after looking at each one! :D)

Jet, Grizzly, Shop Fox, GI, Bridgewood, and maybe even a Uni should fit into your price range....all have a Biesemeyer type fence. Save some money for a good blade or two, and maybe some accessories like a good miter gauge.

Michael Ballent
03-20-2006, 1:47 PM
If you have the cash to afford the cabinet saw then I would just go for that... :D I upgraded from a hybrid to a cabinet and it has been great :D. Good luck on your decision. (Although I believe most will be suggesting the same thing)

Chris Dodge
03-20-2006, 1:49 PM
First off, Welcome! This is a great place to get answers like yours.

Second, power is very important in a tablesaw. I am more partial to Delta over Jet but the difference is very small. My first and only tablesaw is the Delta Unisaw 3 hp. I have had it for twelve years and never had a problem with it.

The Jet is a good saw though and 3 hp is so much better than 1 1/2 hp. If I were making the choice and only had those two options I would go with the Jet. I also like the 50" Biesemeyer fence. That extra room is handy for bigger projects.

tod evans
03-20-2006, 1:52 PM
mike, welcome! there`s no substitute for cast iron and horsepower. so my advice is to look at cabinet saws instead of hybrids..and i like biesemeyer fences....02 tod

Steven Shelby
03-20-2006, 2:27 PM
Mike,
I was exactly in your position about 4 months ago. I needed a tablesaw and had about the same budget that you have. As you have done, I asked my fellow creeker's for guidance.
I was looking originally at the Delta hybrid. It's 1.5 horses and the reviews have been less than stellar. I thought about maybe a DeWalt hybrid. The new Craftsman hybrid was recommended. And several people suggested I look at the Grizzly 1023sl cabinet saw.

FWIW, I went with the Grizzly and couldn't be happier than I did! As Tod pointed out in this thread (and reminded me when I was looking) it's all about cast iron and horse power. I got this saw for right around a grand, once I got it shipped. It has been everything I had hoped for and a thousand times more!

Good luck in your search.

Barry Beech
03-20-2006, 3:26 PM
If time is not of the essence. Take your time and try to find a good used cabinet saw. I was pretty patient and found a Unisaw for a grand. That was with a mobile base and a miter gauge extention. I've fallen in love with the saw. You might find a really good deal. Also spend a little extra and get some good blades. I have a freud f410 on mine. Many here are fans of the Forrest WWII.

Cecil Arnold
03-20-2006, 3:27 PM
Welcome to the creek. What Tod said.

Bart Leetch
03-20-2006, 3:34 PM
If you decide that you want the 3 HP cabinet-saw make sure you have 220 volt available.

Don Baer
03-20-2006, 3:41 PM
I don't know where you located but you might try www.craigslist.com (http://www.craigslist.com) for you area. I just looked for Los Angeles and saw several winners there for good prices.

lou sansone
03-20-2006, 6:44 PM
I dont really agree with tod
I say hp and cast iron :)

lou

CPeter James
03-20-2006, 7:22 PM
Patience helps!! I wanted to upgrade my table saw , but did not have the 2 grand plus for a PM66 or a General 650 so I waited and this came my way for $1,000 including the table and a Forrest WWII blade.

http://members.localnet.com/~cpjvkj/pm66.jpg

Most of my big tools came the same way. Just wait and keep your eyes and ears open and spread the word that you are in the market and stuff appears.

If you need it now, go with one of the cabinet saws in you price range. Spend as much as you can afford and a little more. The returns on quality will be there in the long run. Cutting corners is a false economy. I bought 5 or 6 air compressors before I got what I needed and it was what I wanted in the first place.

CPeter

George Kretschmann
03-20-2006, 8:29 PM
Patience helps!! I wanted to upgrade my table saw , but did not have the 2 grand plus for a PM66 or a General 650 so I waited and this came my way for $1,000 including the table and a Forrest WWII blade.

http://members.localnet.com/~cpjvkj/pm66.jpg

Most of my big tools came the same way. Just wait and keep your eyes and ears open and spread the word that you are in the market and stuff appears.

If you need it now, go with one of the cabinet saws in you price range. Spend as much as you can afford and a little more. The returns on quality will be there in the long run. Cutting corners is a false economy. I bought 5 or 6 air compressors before I got what I needed and it was what I wanted in the first place.

CPeter

That's the bomb...;) good set up.

Mike Hill
03-21-2006, 7:33 AM
I wanted to take the time to thank all of you who replied to my questions. Basically I made the decision to go with a cabinet saw. The one I had several off list discussions about was the Grizzly 10", 3HP saw, in the 1K to 1.2K price range. I do not have to make a quick decision since I will not purchase the saw for another 30 to 60 days. My wife and I are moving from St. Pete, FL to Austin, TX as soon as our home sells here. To avoid shipping the saw, I'll wait until we are back in Austin. In the meantime, I will look around as sugested for a "used" saw and see what I can find. So 3HP minimum, 10" blade, good reputation etc are my ideas. A Biesemeyer splitter and guard, updraded Miter gauge and good blades (Forrester or Freud) are other thoughts I have had.

One other question. Do I need a saw in a 2 car garage with a 7' fence on it?? After adding an outfeed table, this would eat up a lot of space :-). Wondering if I can get by with the smaller fence and use a circular saw and guide for the big cuts ?
Thnks
Mike Hill

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-21-2006, 8:11 AM
One other question. Do I need a saw in a 2 car garage with a 7' fence on it?? After adding an out-feed table, this would eat up a lot of space :-). Wondering if I can get by with the smaller fence and use a circular saw and guide for the big cuts ?
Thanks
Mike Hill

Of course you don't "Need" it, but if you have the space....?

Personally, I like the GCSS (Guided Circular Saw System) I have the Festool flavour, and really like it, but there are others out there that are good too, if you have a good circular saw, then you should look at the E version. I'm very space limited, in my Dungeon shop, I have a DeWalt BT TS, and I like it for it's size and for its price (I'm in Japan).

I go with the GCSS for cutting up sheets, and the one I have, I get dead accurate cuts every time.

The TS gets used less and less, but when I need it, nothing else will do.

Cheers!

Mark Singer
03-21-2006, 8:46 AM
I agree....I have a PM 66 ...get a 3 hp cabinet saw...Jet is good also

Ed Crumbley
03-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the Austin area when you get here. I live in Georgetown just north of Austin, right on the San Gabriel River...own to the middle of the river, and this is a beautiful area.
You just missed the Amazon sale of that JET ts for the same price, but they included a JET DC1100 1.5hp W/canister filter for free. I was also trying to make up my mind between hybrid and cabinet saw when I saw the dust collector included, and that was just too good a deal to pass up. Both reside in my garage, and I am installing the wiring for it tomorrow. Keep an eye on Amazon as they will probably run the same sale again. Now that I have the cabinet saw, I am convinced that even without the dc included, I would have bought the cabinet saw...it will last me the rest of my life..I'm 56 years young now.
Welcome to Texas...gig em AGGIES.