PDA

View Full Version : Welding text in Corel

mike klein
03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I did this function some time ago but didn't make notes of it the steps taken on the welding function in Corel. What I have is a box object which I need to weld some text to at the bottom center of the box so both the text and the box are vector cut together. Basically these are picture frames with a personal name vector cut along with the exterior and interior of the frame..

The attached pic shows one I did awhile back but can't remember how it was done.

Mike

Lee DeRaud
03-20-2006, 1:16 PM
I think the regular 'weld' function works if you do 'convert text to curves' first.

mike klein
03-20-2006, 1:25 PM
I recall doing that step, converting to curves, so I did try it this morning and what happens is when the text is told to weld to the box, it welds, but the text is no visible any longer after that. I thought maybe the text had to be brought to the front but that don't work either. Welding text, say to the topside of the box works fine, but putting it in the inside of the box has got me puzzled...

Mike

Joe Pelonio
03-20-2006, 1:46 PM
Move your text to the top of the box. Convert to paths, weld. Then in node edit mode just move the bottom box corner points back up to the
top where you want them.

mike klein
03-20-2006, 1:54 PM
Joe,

I did figure it out, not the way you mentioned, but it did work. Although your method eliminates a few steps and much quicker. It's terrible getting older and can't remember such simple tasks unless you write it down..Thanks for the help guys..

Mike

Joe Pelonio
03-20-2006, 2:02 PM
Joe,

It's terrible getting older and can't remember such simple tasks unless you write it down..
How true, I'm always writing things down or documenting with comments in the Corel file.

Shaddy Dedmore
03-20-2006, 5:30 PM
Looks like you want "Trim", not "Weld".

Shaddy

mike klein
03-20-2006, 5:38 PM
Shaddy,

Well, the picture I attached in my 1st message was done using the weld function some time ago, and that's what I had a hard time remembering how I did it. Tnx to others here, I have since been able to re-create the vector cut I was trying to accomplish.

Sounds like another way is to use the 'Trim' function as you say. I tell ya, seems like every day I can lean a new function of Corel that I didn't know existed and makes work a lot easier.

Mike

Lee DeRaud
03-20-2006, 5:45 PM
Looks like you want "Trim", not "Weld".

ShaddySo 'weld' for outside, 'trim' for inside? Makes sense, I guess...

Michael McDuffie
03-23-2006, 1:09 AM
Altho you figured it out, epilog has a great explanation on this subject.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_combiningoutline.htm

Michael

Daryl Barberousse
03-23-2006, 9:59 AM
Adding to this discussion.....with the attachment Mike made available. Is is possible to complete (raster) the name to give it a 3-D look?

Michael McDuffie
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Adding to this discussion.....with the attachment Mike made available. Is is possible to complete (raster) the name to give it a 3-D look?

You could try this,

After placing the text but before welding, duplicate (Ctrl-D) with offset at 0,0. Now you can weld the text underneath the copy and still have the other centered on top. Now you try changing the fill to fountain or 50% gray or whatever and see what happens. Just be careful to not set an outline value on the unwelded text or it will cut it out completely.

Check out Epilog’s other Sample Club things, some are pretty cool.

Michael