PDA

View Full Version : Rounded corners - Corel ??

Pete Simmons
03-20-2006, 9:45 AM
I have a shape in Corel 12 that looks like a 2 inch tall by 5 in wide rectangale sitting on top of a 5 inch high by 9 in wide rect.

So the round corners that easily works on a single sq or rect does not work.

How do I round the corners for a object like this? Two of the corners will be inside chamfers.

Lee DeRaud
03-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I have a shape in Corel 12 that looks like a 2 inch tall by 5 in wide rectangale sitting on top of a 5 inch high by 9 in wide rect.

So the round corners that easily works on a single sq or rect does not work.

How do I round the corners for a object like this? Two of the corners will be inside chamfers.What I did the last time I ran into this was draw circles for the corners first, position, connect with line segments to form the overall shape, and then 'weld' to get rid of the extraneous bits.

To get the inside 'cove' quarter-circle corners, I guess I'd draw a circle and a couple of rectangles and use the 'back-minus-front' to get rid of the parts I don't want. Then position/connect/weld as above.

I suspect (and certainly hope) there's an easier way, but this works for a one-shot.

Bruce Volden
03-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure if this will help any, but if you know the radius of the corners you desire you can draw a circle and use the "trim" tool??!!!! Bruce

Joe Pelonio
03-20-2006, 11:36 AM
You could also add a point on each side of each corner, delete the orginal point, change the resulting short line to a curve and adjust the radius. if you have to match a radius spec then use Lee or Bruce's suggestions.

Pete Simmons
03-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Starting with your ideas I hit upon Virtual Segment Delete.

It works!!

Give it a try. Make 2 90 deg lines with a circle at the corner. Use shape tool as Virtual segment delete.

Thanks for the info.

Pete

Rodne Gold
03-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Ver 13 has proper rounding of corners without distorting them in their fillet/scalloping/chamfer tool/docker and it will do exactly what you want.That shape will get all the external corners rounded as well as the "reverse" fillet for the 2 internals , I just tried it.
http://www.isocalc.com/cooltools/index.htm has a whole lot of freeware routines that will aid you in this should you not want to go to 13
I would suggest 13 , there are some tools there that alone are worth the upgrade price , like virtual segment delete and the trace options

Lee DeRaud
03-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Starting with your ideas I hit upon Virtual Segment Delete.

It works!!

Give it a try. Make 2 90 deg lines with a circle at the corner. Use shape tool as Virtual segment delete.D'oh! I was going to suggest that, but for some reason I keep thinking it's new with X3.