PDA

View Full Version : new coffee table

Mark Singer
03-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Jessica really liked the Dining table and thanked me by asking me to make a coffee table...nice thanks! Well I had some white oak although just 4/4 ...she wanted a thick massive look. I glued up 7 boards , about 43" x 79" and planed the panel flat. Then I rip mitered a drop down edge of 3 1/4" on all 4 sides, so te grain appears to continue as if it were a very thick plank. It is a good idea to hand plane the 45 degree edges and remember your jointer fence will adjust to 45 degrees.... the top is to large for the jointer , but the aprons will work well. Legs are also made by rip mitering technique... Miters are joined using corner strips and Kreg screws from the inside....the last side of the leg is glued with a few brads to pin it...If you match the boards carefully , it appears to be solid heavy lumber..In the photos it is just temporarily resting on the base....there will be stretchers and a frame to make a true base with the legs...many parts have not been sanded as yet...so it is looking a little rough at the moment...what we call progress shots:rolleyes:

Dick Parr
03-20-2006, 1:09 AM
Wow, very nice Mark. That does look strong and heavy so she should be happy. I really like your work Mark with those very clean lines.

Great job;)

Jim Becker
03-20-2006, 8:50 AM
Wow...looks like that one would stand up to being a dance surface, too! :D Nice work, Mark. Ah...the smell of white oak. Yum! (And I don't build anything of oak, but do like the smell of it!)

Kent Parker
03-20-2006, 9:14 AM
Neat idea Mark!

If I am understanding correctly you are ripping at a 45 and then passing the cut over your joiner to true, even the end grain oak (for the two table end pieces) ??

KP

Jason Tuinstra
03-20-2006, 9:48 AM
Mark, nice "progress" pics. Massive would be a word to describe that top. It looks good though.

Mark Singer
03-20-2006, 9:49 AM
Neat idea Mark!

If I am understanding correctly you are ripping at a 45 and then passing the cut over your joiner to true, even the end grain oak (for the two table end pieces) ??

KP

Kent,
The end grain I fit using a block plane after ripping. The first cuts were made using the Festool plunge saw adjusted to 45 degrees....it struggled and shut the motor off twice... Then the rips that came off were 45 ripped on the tablesaw....jointed at 45. Legs were the same 4 pieces ripped at 45....jointed at 45...and joined using 1x2 strips and the Kreg jig...it really pulls the miters together

Bob Swenson
03-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Mark
Throw some of WO cut offs in a jug of white wine and send the yum
to Jim Becker, make him real happy:rolleyes:
Fine table, strong handsome design.
Bob

Dave Walker
03-20-2006, 11:04 AM
That thing looks massive. I think you might need a forklift to move it...;)

Looks great though.

Ken Garlock
03-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Very nice table, Mark. I always learn some thing new from your project postings. :cool:

Don Baer
03-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Very nice Mark. I think Jessica will love it.

Karl Laustrup
03-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Looks like that will hold whatever one would want to put on it, including small vehicles. ;) :) I like the design and simple lines. Don't forget the finished pics.

Karl

Matt Meiser
03-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Looks good! Can't wait to see it finished.

John Miliunas
03-20-2006, 1:23 PM
I love it, Mark! I'm sure it's good 'n sturdy and weighs a bit but, the illusion you've created makes it look like it will take three men and a boy to move! :D Nice job. I'll bet Jessica will be duly pleased with it! :) :cool:

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-20-2006, 1:59 PM
Really nice work Mark. A good deal of accuracy/skill must have been required to get those miters true over the length of the table.

Again, great work and thanks for sharing it.

Mike

Mark Singer
03-21-2006, 9:49 AM
Thanks! Here are some drawings of the design....and construction details for legs using Kreg jig and wood joining strips....the last side must be nailed from the outside...

Mark Singer
03-26-2006, 10:29 AM
I had a chance to work a little yesterday on the table....it still needs planning...sanding and finishing, but you can understand the proportions and details now...

John Miliunas
03-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Well dang it, Mark, you're even a better man than I ever thought!!! I'd never be able to get something like that through my planer!!! :D Lookin' good, my friend! So, is it going to be one of your new LA planes, Stanley, LN or your venerable Primus that gets the nod for this job??? Maybe the Steve Knight jobbie? :confused: And your schedule for finishing??? Oil, lacquer, poly???? Inquiring minds want to know! :) Thanks for the update. :) :cool:

Mark Singer
03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Well dang it, Mark, you're even a better man than I ever thought!!! I'd never be able to get something like that through my planer!!! :D Lookin' good, my friend! So, is it going to be one of your new LA planes, Stanley, LN or your venerable Primus that gets the nod for this job??? Maybe the Steve Knight jobbie? :confused: And your schedule for finishing??? Oil, lacquer, poly???? Inquiring minds want to know! :) Thanks for the update. :) :cool:

The plannning on this is just to touch up edges and not to create a finish surface since the pickeled finish requires sanding anyway... My 102 LN is handy for touching up edges...and a scarper and some 180 grit in a hand sanding block

The finish will be Bear Stain..."yellow cream" thined with water about 25%
Let it dry sand it leaving only the stain in the voids and where it penetrated... This keeps it from yellowing...

Then Seal-A-Cell and 3 coats of Arm-R Seal

Then BriWax or Howards paste wax and a Rotex rub out...it makes a great finish and the white oak stays white...which is what she wants

Corey Hallagan
03-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Very nice and coffee table Mark. Fit looks great and definitel y has a substantial look to it.

Corey

Roy Hatch
03-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Mark,
Am I correct in assuming that we aren't looking at end grain at the end of the top? Coffee tables fascinate me and this one in particular is beautiful. I like the clean lines and the mass.
Roy

Mark Singer
03-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Mark,
Am I correct in assuming that we aren't looking at end grain at the end of the top? Coffee tables fascinate me and this one in particular is beautiful. I like the clean lines and the mass.
Roy

Roy,
The legs and top are actually made from 4/4 material and rip mitering at a 45 degree angle...hand planing or jointing on the jointer with the fence at 45 degrees and then re goining the boards....it allows for wood movement...the durability of solid wood and the "build up" gives a massive feel and with the beauty of continuous grain.

Accuraccy and technique are important...but it is a simple technique...

I don't use it often....but a good one to have in the bag of tricks

Roy , check my construction detail in this post on using the Kreg blocking strips for alignment

lou sansone
03-26-2006, 3:00 PM
mark ...
I understand the leg construction and the top's side construction. I don't seem to understand how you continued the end grain though on the top

lou

Larry Klaaren
03-26-2006, 3:08 PM
Looks good! (And solid!)
Not so sure what my wife would say if I made an indoor work bench.:o

Glad she likes it.

Larry

Richard Wolf
03-26-2006, 3:34 PM
Great looking table Mark. I'm just finishing a white oak staircase and have been red lighting my Festool saw also, tuff stuff.

Richard

Roy Wall
03-26-2006, 8:16 PM
mark ...
I understand the leg construction and the top's side construction. I don't seem to understand how you continued the end grain though on the top

lou

My thoughts are like Lou's too......

My guess is the top is cut long, then you 45* the ends and "fold down" the remaining top to create the edge piece....giving it the "thickness"

Correct?

Mark Singer
03-26-2006, 9:05 PM
mark ...

lou

Lou,
All 4 edges fold down and you miter sides and front and back so all the grain is continuous on ends as well as sides....like wraping a gift but 4/4 thick

Mark Singer
03-27-2006, 12:52 AM
I have been getting questions on how to make the top look thick with the end grain continuous...it is actually the face grain as the top is mitered to fold down on 4 sides....making a carboard box by folding a sheet....the box becomes 3 dimensinal. The bottom is left open on the tabe top... Hope this picture helps...You fold along dotted lines...and the mitering allos you to do it...