PDA

View Full Version : Sceince is taking a big leap forward......

John Sherrod
03-19-2006, 9:18 PM
I just had to share this little tidbit.- I saw on the yahoo homepage earlier a newsblurb that was just , well, startling. It said ""Food industry a target in obesity fight". Well, whodathunkit? Nothing gets by those graduated types, is there? They are sharp. And now I will file that away under the blindingly obvious. lol

Frank Chaffee
03-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Well John,
I suggest that it has not been scientific knowledge that has been lagging in the awareness of these nutritional facts, but rather that the special interest monies that have funded research at universities and conglomerate farm/food/drug multinational corporations (and for a long time the AMA), has been, if I may, restricted to a certain very self-serving dissemination of “fact”.
This information, that may be self evident to some, has long been available to anyone at all interested in finding it, but the vast majority of people, in this country and elsewhere, have chosen to select food based on advertising (Mad Ave.), availability (ConGlom distribution), and superficial taste bud instant gratification rather than nutrition.
Please tell me why junk food has become available in vending machines in schools. I assure you that it was not placed there as a result of scientific research, any more than that ketchup was considered a vegetable course in students meals at one time.
Frank

Frank Hagan
03-20-2006, 1:15 AM
Hello, my name is Frank. I'm an obese person.

[Crowd calls out "Hi Frank"]

I've been obese since the 8th grade when I learned that ice cream and peanuts can go together if drizzled with chocolate syrup. At the time, I blamed my thyroid, but it was really the ice cream, peanuts and chocolate syrup. I've learned to accept responsibility for my obesity.

[Crowd calls out "Congratulations, Frank"]

Today, I try to blame fast food, because Taco Bell has a cute little dog in their commercials. But they don't hold a gun to my head to make me eat Mondo Beefy Cheesy Burritos. I've learned to recognize that I make my own choices about what goes into my mouth.

[Crowd calls out "Congratulations, Frank"]

Kevin French
03-20-2006, 4:37 PM
So what are the odds that a Government Grant involved?:p :p

Frank Chaffee
03-20-2006, 5:06 PM
So what are the odds that a Government Grant involved?:p :p
Kevin,
Would that be a no-bid grant, or would the selection process actually include scientists?
Frank

John Sherrod
03-20-2006, 5:51 PM
Again, I am not making this up - I work as a manager at a restaurant down here in Florida, and part of my duties is to make the fresh cornbread every morning. Well, I don't know why I did, but I was looking at the can of pan coating (which is basically industrial "pam") and the very first thing on the list of instructions for use is "remove plastic overcap". I lost it. I was laughing so hard, I was like "well, isnt that self explainatory?" - OMG, do we live in a day and age when people need to be told this?!?!?!?!? lolololololol

John Sherrod
03-20-2006, 5:57 PM
Here is another thing that if you ever get the chance, you will get a laugh out of it. Go to any grocery store, look at the mildew stain removers.(any brand, doesn't matter) and look at the warning lable on the back. It will invariably say the following- "use only in a well ventilated area" Gosh, if it was well ventilated, would I even HAVE the mildew? -Just a thought. lol