PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank leak on Pressure Washer

Tony Falotico
03-19-2006, 8:58 PM
The plastic gas tank (B&S Engine) on my pressure washer is leaking from the bottom (gas pours out). It's a hairline crack, about 5/8" long, on the bottom right along (parallel to) the edge of a reinforcing rib. It's barely noticeable unless your looking for it. Due to it's location, it (the crack) is not viewable on the inside looking through the gas cap opening.

Any repair would have to be made on the outside. The edges of the crack are not accessable, therefore simply glueing with super glue won't work because you can't get to the surfaces to be joined. It will have to be some sort of patch on the outside.

HELP.......... with what and how should I attempt a repair ???

Thanks in advance -- Tony :)

Jim DeLaney
03-19-2006, 9:25 PM
Buy a new tank. You really don't need to set the engine on fire!

Brett Baldwin
03-19-2006, 10:56 PM
I've got to agree, a new tank is the way to go. It can't cost as much to replace the tank as it would to buy a whole new washer (and whatever goes with it when it burns). It would be really embarassing to say "Well, I thought I had the gas leak fixed but as I was washing the car the other day, the pressure washer caught fire and burned down the house and the ash got all over my clean car just to rub it in a little more."

Vaughn McMillan
03-20-2006, 2:50 AM
Tony, I think the suggestions to replace the tank are spot on.

Your question reminds me of the time my dad caught his elderly father-in-law getting ready to "weld" the plastic side of his car battery after having broken the case by over-wrenching one of the terminals. Grandad figured he could just heat up the plastic with his acetylene torch and melt it back together. (Can you say BOOM?) Grandad was a licensed plumber and refrigeration mechanic in his prime, but later in life he wasn't completely on top of things. ;)

- Vaughn

Peter Stahl
03-20-2006, 6:41 AM
Another Vote for buy a new tank. Check the yellow pages for a dealer or distributor. Should cost that much. Cost to put the fire out will be a lot more than the cost of a tank. You should be able to do it yourself.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-20-2006, 9:12 AM
Your tank is most likely made from a plastic of the olefin, ethylene, or propylene family. None of which glue easily or well at all ( except PVC). Glue joints in those plastics don't hold well and glued but joints don't hold at all. You gotta flame the oils off the surfaces just the instant before you glue them.
None of that bodes well for a gas tank.

Throw it away. Get any replacement tank you can that fits. If you buy plastic get a new one. Get a steel one if you can.

Tony Falotico
03-20-2006, 5:53 PM
Vote is in...... Tally: New Tank *5* :) Repair Old *1* :(

Okay I hear you..... e-mailed Sears Parts and got a part number
Will order a new tank this evening

Thanks again to all who responded

:D I did give some thought to Vaughn's idea just heat up the plastic with his acetylene torch and melt it back together., but finally came to my senses. :eek: :D :D

Matt Meiser
03-20-2006, 7:50 PM
:D I did give some thought to Vaughn's idea just heat up the plastic with his acetylene torch and melt it back together., but finally came to my senses. :eek: :D :D

I'm sure it would be fine if you wash it out with laquer thinner first. :rolleyes: :eek:

Norman Hitt
03-20-2006, 8:42 PM
I'm sure it would be fine if you wash it out with laquer thinner first. :rolleyes: :eek:

I went through this early last summer with a fairly new lawn mower, and I checked with several repair places trying to find something to repair the hairline crack, but EVERYONE of them said they had not been able to repair the plastic tanks. Even two guys that take old machines and doctor them up for sale said the same thing. They said they could repair almost any old metal tank, but had had NO SUCCESS at all with the plastic tanks. (New tank was $34.79 + tax, and I thought when I bought it that it would really be the berries, 'cause I wouldn't have to worry about the tank rusting).:(