PDA

View Full Version : Here's a Job for ya

John Hart
03-19-2006, 6:50 PM
As many of you know, we're packin' up...gettin' ready to move. This house we live in right now, was built 100 years ago and has always been occupied by someone in my wife's family....passed hand to hand...with no formal moving out or anything like that. Anyway...this means there's 100 years worth of worthless junk in various spots throughout the property. Here's something I found today.
34323 34324
These clothespins are hand turned....Looks like skew work with lots of chatter. Quite a job to have. I just thought they were a fun little thing to find.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-19-2006, 6:53 PM
Boy John........I hope my wife doesnt' see this thread! She can stretch a penny until it squeels for relief. I could end up spending the rest of my life at the lathe turning clothes pens for her and her friends! Did I mention she's generous with my time to others?

John Hart
03-19-2006, 7:00 PM
....I could end up spending the rest of my life at the lathe turning clothes pens for her and her friends! ...

Just remember to whistle while you work!!;)

Jim Becker
03-19-2006, 7:14 PM
That's gotta be a pretty tough thing, especially for the LOYL, to move from a property that's been in the family for so long. Be sure to take some of these mementos you find with you. The cloths-pins are also great for crafting and, umm...many of your new neighbors likely don't use electric or gas dryers. 'Could be nice for gifting.

Ernie Nyvall
03-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Some of them look almost like they were hand carved with a knife. What an interesting thing to go through though... a hundred tears of keepsakes. :cool:

Ernie

Keith Burns
03-19-2006, 10:13 PM
That is a cool post John. I like stuff like that. As creative as you are I can see some bowls or HF's being formed out of these:D

Corey Hallagan
03-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Holy smokes, that is kind of kewl. Even cooler on the history of the house, sooo.... is family moving in?

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2006, 10:56 PM
John I found a lot of the same things when we cleaned out my the old farm house. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I found. You need to keep a few things just as keepsakes. Very cool John.

John Hart
03-20-2006, 6:43 AM
We'll definitely keep all the keepsakes we find. There's a whole storage room filled with stuff that we've decided to keep. When the ancestors came over on the boat from Slovenia, they brought all their books too...these are my favorite. There are books, written in Slovenian, that teach you how to be an American Citizen and then all the American manuals as well. Lots of old school books as well. They smell kinda funky but that's ok with me. Need to build a library!
Nope...we are the last of the family to stay in this house. At the turn of the century (the other one) The north shore of Ohio was booming and this area was the pristine capital of Industry and Fun. My neighborhood, complete with brick streets and cool architecture was the place to be...right on the shore of Lake Erie, next to the first Amusement Park. The roaring 20's were roaring the loudest right here. But, alas, those days are gone. The brick streets are still here and have been fully restored....The trees, that were saplings back then, are now 40-60 feet high.(the one in the front yard is 4 feet in diameter) But, things are too crowded, and no one in the family wants it. In fact, they would like nothing more than to see us move out and end the tradition.

We have the original For Sale sign from 1910...It's wood, handpainted, very cool. I ought to take a picture of it for you.

Anyway....despite the tears and memories....we're looking forward to our new life in the country.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2006, 6:47 AM
And don't forget Silver and Trigger Daddy!

Mike Ramsey
03-20-2006, 9:12 AM
I would have to go in for analysis if I had to turn those all day long
every day!! Good luck in your move John!! I know you're looking
forward to it. Don't forget to document the move with pics...
If you want to come by here you could pick up a pony and a few
goats to help mow the lawn...for free!!!

Andy Hoyt
03-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Glad to hear that you're keeping all this stuff, John. Years ago, my grandmother emptied a barn of all contents and had it torn down. Buried the whole smash in a field. The contents included a running Model A, William T. Sherman's civil war uniforms and trinkets, the best darn indoor rope swing ever, a fully equipped electron challenged farm shop dating from the 1830s, the list is endless. All gone in a blink of an eye.

Ernie Nyvall
03-20-2006, 3:34 PM
Glad to hear that you're keeping all this stuff, John. Years ago, my grandmother emptied a barn of all contents and had it torn down. Buried the whole smash in a field. The contents included a running Model A, William T. Sherman's civil war uniforms and trinkets, the best darn indoor rope swing ever, a fully equipped electron challenged farm shop dating from the 1830s, the list is endless. All gone in a blink of an eye.

Man Andy, I'd like to hit that field with my metal detector.

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
03-20-2006, 3:55 PM
When the ancestors came over on the boat from Slovenia, they brought all their books too...these are my favorite.

Same thing here John. When I get a library built I get all the books that came down... some, published in Sweden in the late 1800's, but in English. One group, from the outside, looks like a small set of encyclopedias, but is actually individual text books. These books are to the point and you had to learn fast. To bad that went away.:rolleyes:

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
03-20-2006, 4:46 PM
Man Andy, I'd like to hit that field with my metal detector. Ernie Ernie, after the hole got filled up the crew realized they hadn't dug it big enough. So they torched it to reduce mass, put some more in, burned it again, coveed it over with topsoil, and then ran over it with a big Allis Chlamers crawler for an eternity. T'aint nuthin' left worth botherin' over.

Joe Unni
03-20-2006, 4:52 PM
John,

I actually was feeling a bit melancholy while reading your 2nd post.

There are books, written in Slovenian, that teach you how to be an American Citizen and then all the American manuals as well.

What a history...an American history...when immigrants truly wanted to be Americans! Please keep that stuff and pass those stories on.

Good luck on your move!

-joe

Frank Chaffee
03-20-2006, 5:11 PM
T'aint nuthin' left worth botherin' over.
Please Andy,
Will you lighten up! This is the site I come to for good news.
Frank

Andy Hoyt
03-20-2006, 5:17 PM
Sorry, frank. You'd think that after forty some-odd years that I'd be over it. Guess not.

Frank Chaffee
03-20-2006, 6:39 PM
Sorry, frank. You'd think that after forty some-odd years that I'd be over it. Guess not.
I am so very sorry Andy,
And I have had a somewhat similar experience, so I empathize with you all the more. My maternal grandmother’s house burned to the ground in Minneapolis, and in that conflagration, a very great portion of my families’ history contributed to global warming.
What is suggested here? The impermanence of life? Non attachment to “graven images”?
I am not over it either, Andy.
Frank

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2006, 7:25 PM
Those are pretty cool. Turning them would get pretty boring if it weren't for those "slots ya gotta turn on every one of them". Can a skew to that on spinning wood? :confused: :p :D