PDA

View Full Version : I've been lurking here for a couple days...

Dick James
03-19-2006, 5:05 PM
and thought I'd say hello.We (my wife Kay & I) are located in the heart of the Finger Lakes,in Canandaigua,NY.I've noticed a couple fellas here from nearby Rochester.I spent a few years installing Quaker Maid cabinets for a dealer,then started my own bussiness doing remodeling ,additions,and a couple houses.Keeping good help got to be a problem,so I downsized to a one man operation...me.About 10 yrs. ago I moved into building custom cabinetry,and that's all I've been doing since.Wish I'd started 20yrs. earlier.But if my wife didn't have a good job,I'd probably have to get a real one. :) While I'm at,I thought I'd try the picture posting thing.It's different then the The Oak,but maybe old dogs CAN learn new tricks.This is half of a cherry kitchen done this past summer.If it shows up.

Rob Russell
03-19-2006, 5:08 PM
Welcome to SMC, Dick. Nice work on the kitchen!

Don Baer
03-19-2006, 5:08 PM
Great Job Dick. and welcome to the creek. The Picture police will approve.:D

Cecil Arnold
03-19-2006, 5:11 PM
Nice cabs. Welcome to the creek.

Julio Navarro
03-19-2006, 5:15 PM
very nice job, how about some close ups of the details?

Ist good to know we have more experts here, welcome.

Brent Harral
03-19-2006, 5:26 PM
:D Glad you made it over, Dick! Good forums & real nice folks here at SMC..

John Hebert
03-19-2006, 5:35 PM
all here. Gotta drag ole Dalton next
Glad to see you here........finally Dick:)

Jim Hager
03-19-2006, 5:35 PM
Good to see you hanging around Dick. Nice cabinets as well. Too bad the oak is down but this is a great place to be anyway. Welcome to the creek.

Jim (bonyfingers)

Tom Pritchard
03-19-2006, 5:39 PM
Welcome Dick! The cabinets look great. What did you finish them with?

Nice to see another member from Western NY! There are quite a few of us now here at SMC.

My wife, son, and I travel through Canandaigua frequently on the way to our land on the bluff at Keuka Lake. It's a beautiful town, and we love the annual Waterfront Art Festival in Canandaigua down in Kershaw Park.

I'll be looking for you around the Creek:D !

Jim Becker
03-19-2006, 5:39 PM
Welcome aboard, Dick! The kitchen looks great, too.

Fred Voorhees
03-19-2006, 5:41 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dick. I have been in your neck o' the woods. I've attended the dirt track races at the Canandaigua Speedway once or twice - which some of your locals up there consider to be one of the most competitive tracks in the Empire State.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-19-2006, 5:44 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dick!

Steve Clardy
03-19-2006, 5:59 PM
Welcome Dick. Nice cabinets!

Tom Ruflin
03-19-2006, 6:04 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dick. Nice cabinets. The finger lakes area is great and me and the LOML take road trips through there frequently during the summer months. I'd love to see your shop and talk about the wood working business as I hope to go in that direction when I retire from my corporate job. Again, Welcome to the creek

Pete Harbin
03-19-2006, 6:45 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dick. Excellent looking cabinets!

Pete

Glenn Clabo
03-19-2006, 7:19 PM
Wecome Dick...
Just made a pass through your neck of the snowy woods on the way and back to my wifes home in Windsor, ON...always ask her how to say Canadaaigua.

Dale Thompson
03-19-2006, 7:22 PM
Dick,
WELCOME TO THE CREEK!! :) From what I can see from your work in the kitchen, the ONLY reason that you were "lurking" is that you didn't want to embarrass people like ME! :o VERY nice work!!

By the way, don't EVER worry about embarrassing ME! It's the story of my life and I am quite comfortable with it! :o :) Have at it, you showoffs, give me your BEST shot!! :cool: ;) :)

Again, Dick, WELCOME!!

Dale T.

Frank Pellow
03-19-2006, 7:40 PM
Dick, I am glad that you only lurked a little while then joined us. Welcome to Saw Mill Creek! It certainly looks like we can learn things from you.

Dick James
03-19-2006, 7:54 PM
Julio, I really don't have much in the line of detailed pictures.I'm a big fan of the lock mitre joint.The joint is used on all exposed ends.The back side of the island was built as one unit and installed after the cabinets were in place.

I like to keep the inside of the cabinets smooth and clean,so the end panels are applied to the outside.These cabinets go to a 9' ceiling.

Jason Tuinstra
03-19-2006, 8:03 PM
Good to have you around. Those cabinets look terrific!

Dick James
03-19-2006, 8:21 PM
I have to admit,that due to shop size and time constraints,this is the first job I haven't finished.There is a pro finisher 1.5 miles up the road that did the finish.But,I was pleased to see that his finish isn't any better then mine.It was stained w/Easy Wipe stain by Chemcraft followed by sealer and pre-cat lacquer by the same company.
There will be a new wine & culinary institute by the lake you can visit this summer when your here for the art festival.

Julio Navarro
03-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Very nice.

I'll look forward to seeing more pics of your projects. Think detail pics as you build, We love those.

Mark Singer
03-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Welcome lurker and nice stuff!

Jace Weber
03-20-2006, 6:22 AM
Good to see another Oaker here. Great looking cabs!

Tyler Howell
03-20-2006, 9:34 AM
Welcome Dick!

Lou Morrissette
03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Dick. Some great looking cabinets. Nice work.

Lou

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey Ya Dick, glad to see you have made it here, great place, the water is just right!

Nice cabs!!!

I'll have to keep my wife from seeing those!!! :D

Cheers!

Bob Swenson
03-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Dick- You are a true craftsmen, great cabinets, but tell me why do
people want sinks where they should not be, are they doing thier laundry
or cooking?:confused:
Bob

Jason Morgan
03-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Dick, Welcome!

Great looking work. I am in Fairport. I work with a guy from Canandaigua (just now getting used to spelling that). While not originally from here My wife and I really like the area.

BTW, where do you get all that gorgeous cherry? Bristol Valley HW? Im always looking for sources.

Again, welcome.

Dick James
03-20-2006, 1:56 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dick. Nice cabinets. The finger lakes area is great and me and the LOML take road trips through there frequently during the summer months. I'd love to see your shop and talk about the wood working business as I hope to go in that direction when I retire from my corporate job. Again, Welcome to the creek

For the bigger jobs,I get rough or skip dressed lumber as well as plywood from Thruway Hardwood & Plywood near Buffalo.If I need a couple boards I go to Bristol Valley,but he's close to $2/bd' more.Another place you might try is Earl Pettits Cabinet Shop,just south of Bristol Mt.He dries his own lumber,and it's good stuff, but will only sell it dressed.I got mine there when I first started.
I did a bunch of kitchens just up the road from Fairport in the condos at New Wickham.Also did one for the vet in Fairport.

Dick James
03-20-2006, 2:02 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dick. I have been in your neck o' the woods. I've attended the dirt track races at the Canandaigua Speedway once or twice - which some of your locals up there consider to be one of the most competitive tracks in the Empire State.

Yep,we live about a mile from the track,as the crow flies,so on a calm saturday night we get to hear the races. :( You can tell when there's a wreck,cause the noise stops for awhile. :)

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-20-2006, 2:05 PM
Nice work Dick and welcome to the Creek.

Mike

tod evans
03-20-2006, 2:09 PM
welcome dick!

Dick James
03-20-2006, 2:18 PM
Dick- You are a true craftsmen, great cabinets, but tell me why do
people want sinks where they should not be, are they doing thier laundry
or cooking?:confused:
Bob
That's a good question Bob,but the house sets on top a hill overlooking Canandaigua Lake and this is what the lady of the house gets to see while scrubbing pots and pans. ;)

Dick James
03-20-2006, 2:33 PM
Thank you fellas for the warm welcome and remarks. Sure seems like a friendly place to hang out.I'll TRY to behave myself while here.Just might take a while to learn how to navigate the Creek.

Leroy Shugart
03-20-2006, 2:38 PM
Many of the Oakers are here from time to time, I'm still trying to figure out the system, (computor challanged I am) seems like lots of nice folks here and a wealth of information. Leroy in Kansas