PDA

View Full Version : Punked Out Vase

John Hart
03-19-2006, 3:41 PM
This Vase is made from the same piece of Spalted Cherry as the Bowl that I posted yesterday. This looked quite a bit different though. Essentially dark, filled with punky pock marks all over it - through and through. Couldn't decide whether to fill the holes or leave them open...so I compromised. Mixed up some epoxy and Ebony dust, and just filled the largest and deepest holes, leaving the smaller ones open. I liked Keith Burn's vase from yesterday so much that I tried to copy it. I failed of course!!:o

But, the family likes it so I reckon it's a keeper. It's 8" tall and 5" in diameter...finished with 5 coats of Clear Shellac/BLO/DNA and buffed.

Corey Hallagan
03-19-2006, 3:48 PM
Wow, looks like you won to me. It doesn't look like the wood in the bowl but it has a look of it's own. In my opinion the color and pock marks give it alot of character. Nice job!

Corey

Lee DeRaud
03-19-2006, 3:55 PM
Cool!

If you keep it, doesn't it automatically become a "vahse"?:cool:

Kurt Rosenzweig
03-19-2006, 4:19 PM
Very nice John! Reminds me of indian pottery! I read about that finish mixture over on the AAW fourm! How do you like it? Sounds like something I gotta try.

Rich Stewart
03-19-2006, 4:25 PM
Another nice one John. You sure get lots done in one day. Would take me a week to get one close to like that.

John Hart
03-19-2006, 4:35 PM
Thanks guys. It's nice when you can go from a block of wood to a finished piece in one day. Usually, I have to go through the drying thing. Drives me crazy.
Kurt...I really like that mixture....I stumbled on it by accident while experimenting with different stuff. Didn't know that it was common knowledge. You do have to be in the mood for elbow grease though. It works best when you rub it in using circular motion and don't stop until it's dry and glossy. Took me a couple hours.

Lee...A Vahse? Nah. I don't think so. This puppy is definitely a vase.:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2006, 4:50 PM
John looks like you did a beautiful job once again. The color and marks on it sure do give it character. Nice work John.

Ernie Nyvall
03-19-2006, 9:44 PM
That was pokyfied. Nice work on it John.

Ernie

David Fried
03-19-2006, 9:56 PM
That's an interesting piece of wood that can yield that bowl and this vase. I look forward to seeing what other gems you coax out of it. The vase came out great.

Dave Frieed

Keith Burns
03-19-2006, 9:59 PM
Very nice piece as usual John. I agree with Kurt as it reminds me of a piece of potery. I like the form, finish, bottom and the holes:) :)

Mike Ramsey
03-20-2006, 9:19 AM
Well I like it! Good job John!

Andy Hoyt
03-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Looks very old. An instant antique. I like it.

John Miliunas
03-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Hmmm...Guess I never took you to be much of a punker, but OK, whatever pierces your nose! :D Great job on the vaaaahse, John!!! I really like it and appears to be a real substantial piece. Well done, my friend! :) :cool: