PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Hall Table Project

Larry Klaaren
03-19-2006, 2:45 PM
I finished this table a couple of weeks ago. I've been busy, and am finally able to post some pictures. If I could do it again I would choose different wood. We decided to change the color of the stain after the assemble was completed. I don't like the grain in dark stain as much as I did in white.

I also included a picture of the tapering jig I made to taper the legs. Unfortunately, I measured from the wrong side of the leg (I guess) and cut off 1 1/4 inch instead of tapering down to 1 1/4 inch. I realized it right away, but had to make all 4 legs the same.

I learned a lot on this one. It took forever. We had a death and a major illness in the family, and some job transition issues while I was doing this. It was good therapy when I could get the time. This is the first indoor furniture I have made. I'll take some pictures of some other stuff I've done and post them in a while.

Thanks,
Larry

Jim Hager
03-19-2006, 3:13 PM
Woodworking is one of the best methods of therapy out there. Good job on the table.

If it is alright I'll probably steal and idea or two from your taper jig.

Larry Klaaren
03-19-2006, 3:15 PM
The plans are in Fine Woodworking. It was an issue from last fall. I copied it at the library, not sure which month.

Larry

Corey Hallagan
03-19-2006, 3:22 PM
Awesome job Larry, it looks great. Hope things go a little better for you!
Corey

Frank Chaffee
03-19-2006, 4:30 PM
Frankly Larry,
I find the unexpected proportions of the legs very appealing. Looks like a serendipitous mistake to me.
I’m glad you were able to use your tools well during trying times.
Best wishes as you keep up the good work!
Frank

Larry Klaaren
03-19-2006, 5:24 PM
Yeah, I like the legs better than the original plan. My wife disagrees. Did freak me out a little though. It's oak, so it's tough enough.

Thanks,
Larry

scott kinninger
03-19-2006, 5:38 PM
I am in the process of just finishing one of my first projects and agree with you that you really learn a lot during the process.
It's very therapeutic for me to spend time in the shop and I know it really helps to get my mind off of everything else.
Great job!

Jason Tuinstra
03-19-2006, 6:32 PM
Larry, you're the man!!! The table looks very nice. I like the pinned joints. Good job on this one!

Pete Harbin
03-19-2006, 6:38 PM
Nicely done Larry! I like the look of the legs, and the pinned joints are a sharp touch.

Pete