PDA

View Full Version : sharpening

harry morris
03-19-2006, 1:52 PM
hi to all. i have been lurking here for awhile and have learned a lot but i have a question, why is it that i keep getting a point on my gouge when sharpening it. no i dont have a great sharpening system , it is the veritas, i think ,just a platform type. i do try to roll the gouge and also use the marker trick but yet no matter what i do it keeps coming to a point, sorry for such a long post,just aggravated, thanks again, harry

John Hart
03-19-2006, 2:10 PM
Hi there Harry! Welcome to the Black Hole, Vortex, Abyssal place!!

Sorry...I'm Sharpening-Challenged....Just wanted to say, "Welcome"!!:)

Cecil Arnold
03-19-2006, 2:13 PM
Welcome to the creek Harry. If you have broadband you might try going to the Oneway web site and downloading their video on the vari-grind. I realize you don't have their product, but the information there might be helpful to you.

Gary Max
03-19-2006, 3:03 PM
Welcome to the Creek Harry----Back before I had on of them fancy store bought jigs----I would knock that point off with a belt sander--just a light buff to round/smooth it off----it sure works better with out them.
Of course I ain't ever went to any of them fancy classes either---that's just the way I did it.

Lee DeRaud
03-19-2006, 3:25 PM
Welcome to the creek Harry. If you have broadband you might try going to the Oneway web site and downloading their video on the vari-grind. I realize you don't have their product, but the information there might be helpful to you.You can also order the videos on a CD (MPEG format) for free, takes about a week to show up in the mail...
along with their latest catalog.:D

Cecil Arnold
03-19-2006, 3:31 PM
You been shopping for a new lathe already Lee?

Lee DeRaud
03-19-2006, 3:49 PM
You been shopping for a new lathe already Lee?Naw, they pulled the ultimate Bad Marketing Move: they included the price list.:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2006, 5:01 PM
Welcome Harry. Nice place with lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

On my Wolverine Vari-Grind once I have the bevel angle set I just roll the point of the tool back and forth on the tip till I get it rounded the way I want it. The Oneway site has a video on the Vari-Grind and he shows how to do this.