PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers Quick Lift

Andy London
03-19-2006, 1:11 PM
Looking for suggestions or ideas on how I might fix this...

I bought the Woodpeckers quick lift a month or two ago, this was my first lift, I wanted something that would allow me to change bits from the top which it does and initially I was very impressed.

I started having issues last Friday cutting Style and rails, the lift was creeping. I called Woodpeckers and they were awsome, offered to send a new lift right away or they told me a couple of things to check which I did and they were fine.

This morning while cutting box joints for a tray order, the joints were terrible, I removed the lift to find the brass bushings had seperated from the plastic that holds the router, allowing it to flex as pressure was applied to the wood cutting the joint. I just sent them another email with images but was wondering if any of you with this life have checked these brass bushings and or having any issues? I use this setup every day so it does see a lot of use, for now I tried to CA glue them back in but that only lasted an hour and they slipped back out.

Thanks

tod evans
03-19-2006, 1:30 PM
andy is there enough meat to drill/tap for set screws? .02 tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2006, 1:48 PM
Did I understand correctly that the bushings are set into plastic??
If that's the case (plastic) I suggest you get your money back. Even if it's a molded phenolic it's still not the right material.

I thought the woodpecker lift was aluminum. If it's aluminum then you can install a set screw, install some 0.0005" steel shim to get a press fit, or even use some JB weld to re-lock them in place.

But seriously, if it fell apart after a month it's a defect and you should not keep it.
There is no way that should have happened.

Jim O'Dell
03-19-2006, 2:14 PM
Cliff, I think the lift Andy bought is one of the new ones they just introduced. It is not the PRL or Unilift, is that right Andy? Seeing that you use it everyday, the Quick Lift may not be the one for you. I'd see if they would let you upgrade to one of the aluminum lifts. I bought mine about 1 1/2 years ago on the scratch and dent table, er, page. :rolleyes: It was the B rating, full waranty but with some cosmetic blemishes. Mine has a couple scratches in it, but nothing to hinder it's use. Got it for about 200.00. I think it would hold up to the production work that I recall you probably use your's for. Good luck, and yeah, the folks at Woodpeckers are great to work with. I sure missed them at the woodworker's show in December. Jim.

Andy London
03-19-2006, 3:42 PM
Cliff, I think the lift Andy bought is one of the new ones they just introduced. It is not the PRL or Unilift, is that right Andy? Seeing that you use it everyday, the Quick Lift may not be the one for you. I'd see if they would let you upgrade to one of the aluminum lifts. I bought mine about 1 1/2 years ago on the scratch and dent table, er, page. :rolleyes: It was the B rating, full waranty but with some cosmetic blemishes. Mine has a couple scratches in it, but nothing to hinder it's use. Got it for about 200.00. I think it would hold up to the production work that I recall you probably use your's for. Good luck, and yeah, the folks at Woodpeckers are great to work with. I sure missed them at the woodworker's show in December. Jim.

Yes this is their new Quick lift. You see I have managed just great for many years without one and quite honestly I didn't see the benefit however a month or so ago I decided I was tired of bending over to change the bits, honestly the only reason I bought one was to change the bits from the top.

So, I built a new cabinet, new router (DW618), new fence and top. For the last month you could not give me all the tea in china for this setup, it's just amazing but then things started going bad Friday.

Now reading your posts it is brass set into molded phenolic and this setup is used every day I am thinking I shoudl ask if I can pay the difference and get their better one. Had I known a month ago how happy I would be, I would have happly bought the PRL which is their top model and it even looks like a better made model.

lou sansone
03-19-2006, 5:20 PM
I would clean all the surfaces with acetone and then use a good quality 2 part epoxy to glue the bushings in place
Lou

Andy London
03-19-2006, 6:42 PM
I would clean all the surfaces with acetone and then use a good quality 2 part epoxy to glue the bushings in place
Lou

Thanks Lou, I used some JB weld just before supper. I just went out, this is not my woodworking day......I must have got a dab somehow, which is beyond me, on the steel rod where the brass slides while it was drying, now everything is frozen solid.....what a few days.....

It started Friday when I bought a new two piece style and rail set from lee valley, machined 8 doors only to find the profile in the bits didn't match, back to the city and ended up buying the Freud set, made the S & R's and they turned out perfect but wasted wood and time. Started the panels and noticed this lift was creeping, called woodpeckers and they made the offer to send a new one but told me to check a few things first, which I did and all was well, at the time I didn't notice the bushings were out of place. Being in a rush I just made the panels on the cabinetsaw, turned out great. Started sanding and a 2 month old PC333 died, switched to the palm sander and an hour later it packs it in, neither of these are over 90 days so I return them and buy Rigid's as they receive top reviews......it has been one thing after another since Friday, I guess the ww gods want me to take a break or something:confused:

Then this morning before I noticed these bushings out of place, I put dovetails in some really high quality quilted maple.....ruined as the bushings were allowing the router to flex so the joints have gaps.....not a happy camper.

Dan Lyman
03-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Hi Andy,
I have the quicklift out in the garage, but as yet have not installed it. I bought the aluminum version and the phenolic part you are having a problem with is aluminum on mine. It may be worth upgrading to the aluminum version.

Of course I don't know if it will fare any better yet, but I am hopeful.

Good luck

Dan