PDA

View Full Version : Whew

Reg Mitchell
03-19-2006, 9:11 AM
Howdy from good old Tenn. Wow what a trip. It didn't go as I would have liked but it was nice. I didn't get to stop by Alan's due to some last minet changes in picking up the band saw but I did get to talk to Alan, a very nice person. I will be going back this summer to take some time to take a class for sure.
Hi Paul.....seems there was very little time there but Thanks for the thoughts and yes when I get back this summer I would be very excited to drop by for a visit and have a look see at that good looking saw and slurp down some coffee and talk a bit of woodworking
As for the trip....It was uneventful except Bill cut his finger pretty bad as we were strapping the bandsaw down to the trailor. She is a monster too. In great shape and everything and a littler more than I expected. All the plates and info are intact on the saw. Bill Even has a manual for me and will be sending it so I can install some new tires. It has a section on putting new tires on it.
I got to visit Bills warehouse And what a big arns candy store. I am glad I didn't have any more money but I also did get to slip away with a State B-4 OSS including all the spindles and even a box of asorted sanding spindles. He had a Y-20 and a Y-30 both very nice. I don't have any pics yet , and yes I know, no pics it didn't happen but I was so tired from the trip I came home and went to bed. I will be heading back this afternoon to get some and hopefull unload it to return the tralior I borrowed to take the trip. I'll try to get them posted this evening or tomorrow. I still have to get a few things done to get the power into the shop. They did get the5/8 rebar 12" on center in the floor while I was away and as soon as I get the inspector there the floor will be poured with 4000 mix.
Glad to be home and thanks for all of your thoughts....."The Snowflake Has Landed".........:D

Bruce Page
03-19-2006, 9:18 PM
Reg, glad you made it home safely. I'm looking forward to some pics of that great iron!

Dev Emch
03-20-2006, 3:59 AM
Reg...
Know the feeling. Sometimes that old creeky bed looks better than any man made vice known to the human race! I wish we had photos however. Not of the saw persay. But the look on your face when you first layed eyes on a 36 inch snowflake in the person. Hey we warned you this thing was big! That the Navy was missing one of its carrier anchors!:D So now you can fully grasp and understand why some of us like... ummm, no... worship the snowflake. As nice as the oliver 416 is, I dont think it can really hold a match to a Y-36 Snowflake. Any modern features like blade tension cutout switches and modern guides can always be retroed to the snowflake. In the end a snowflake is a snowflake. If you gotta ask, well you guys know the rest...:D

lou sansone
03-20-2006, 5:37 AM
hi reg
can't wait to see how you like the saw... photos will be nice to have. you got a great deal on that saw.. if I can help give me a pm... best wishes
lou

Jim Becker
03-20-2006, 8:42 AM
Nothing like a whirl-wind road trip, eh? 'Glad you made it up and back with your "new" bandsaw! 'Can't wait to see the before and after pictures, too.

Reg Mitchell
03-20-2006, 7:15 PM
Ok guys it snowed here this morning so it was pretty hectic getting it off of the trailor and on the ground....I did get one shot in Pa and a cpl here so I can at least let you see the results of a quick trip and the saw at home...when the weather clears a bit i will get more
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/myrtelwoodtbltop182.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/myrtelwoodtbltop185.jpg
I hae been so overwhelmed my the saw I forgott to get any of the State OSS.....:( but it's in the house lolol and the cam batts are down so I will get some of those in a day or two....Its tough liveing in one house and trying to get things done in another town....buts it will all work out soon :)

Don Baer
03-20-2006, 8:09 PM
WOW...:eek: Thats a big saw. Congrats

Vaughn McMillan
03-20-2006, 8:17 PM
Reg, I'm not sure, but I think you might have gotten a bum steer. I've never seen a bandsaw that had the upper guides attached with packing tape. Even though it's a creative solution, I don't think it'll hold up in a production environment. Just so you don't have to suffer the disappointment of using such a substandard piece of equipment, I'll volunteer to take that old, worn-out piece of iron off your hands. Just let me know when you want to deliver it, and I'll leave the garage door unlocked. ;)

- Vaughn

Alan Turner
03-20-2006, 8:37 PM
Nice looking saw, Reg. Sorry you didn't have time to stop around. Hope to see you this summer.

Jim Becker
03-20-2006, 10:48 PM
'Bet you turned a few heads as you toodled down the highway with that big green thing sailing behind you! Nice iron!!

Jerry Olexa
03-20-2006, 11:41 PM
WOW that is a bigun' What is the resaw capacity?
Great haul....

lou sansone
03-21-2006, 5:38 AM
nice machine ... would love a few more photos, especially the doors, wheels and the upper wheel tilt and raise mechanism
Lou

Jeffrey Makiel
03-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Reg,
Is there any reason why you choose to go with the benchtop model?
-Jeff :)

Reg Mitchell
03-21-2006, 4:21 PM
laughing....Vaun if the tape wears out, I'll keep you in mind.
Alan ....I was really dissapointed I didn't get to stop by I was so looking forward to meeting you and getting a look at your place, but I have already alocated time this summer to come for a few days for sure.
Lou I'll give you all the infor as soon as i Get a few minets to spend with it...It was a rush rush and still haven't slowed down.
I am back to work today and the shaper is due to arrive tomorrow.
Oh by the way Vaun....better put a cut out in that door if you plan on getting it in.........:eek:

Reg Mitchell
03-21-2006, 4:37 PM
Hey Dev.....ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....as soon as I saw that saw I was already trying how to get it off at home......man.....I finally got t guy with a front end loder to set it off for me. He is already looking forward to comming back to put it in the shop along with all the other stuff.......real nice guy.
I'm not really sure about the resaw capasity but I am surt it is more than I will ever need.
I was looking forward to getting the floor poured this week but the snow put a damper on that....so its sit and wait for a few days now.....man I can't wat to get it all wired and running....I will take a few days off whent its all hooked up just to build something .....

Vaughn McMillan
03-21-2006, 6:40 PM
Oh by the way Vaun....better put a cut out in that door if you plan on getting it in.........:eek:
Reg, for that saw I'd take out the wall if necessary. :D Or do like you're doing, and just build a new shop for the darned thing. Tape and all. :p

- Vaughn

Reg Mitchell
03-21-2006, 7:23 PM
lolol well theres a few other items going in there too......but the cealing is just for the saw....the rebar is in and waiting for concrete and thay are all waiting for the electric....lolol somebody always waitngin on someone....
:)