PDA

View Full Version : Paypal

Tom Stover
03-19-2006, 9:08 AM
I got a warning this morning that there was some suspicious activity on my paypal account and I needed to sign in by using the supplied link, give my pass word and account number. You know I did. I sent that e-mail to spoof@paypal.com . So watch out and protect yourself. There is always a low class individual waiting to steal what we have worked to get.

Jim Becker
03-19-2006, 9:44 AM
Even folks without PayPal accounts get these emails from time to time...

Steve Clardy
03-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Used to get them almost daily for paypal and ebay.
So far they haven't got my new email address.

Frank Chaffee
03-19-2006, 3:23 PM
Used to get them almost daily for paypal and ebay.
So far they haven't got my new email address.
That reminds me Steve, what is your new email address?
Thanks in advance,
Frank

Steve Clardy
03-19-2006, 3:26 PM
That reminds me Steve, what is your new email address?
Thanks in advance,
Frank

pm coming frank

Frank Chaffee
03-19-2006, 4:04 PM
Creekers are so very helpful!

pm coming frank
I had PM’d Steve and told him that my friend in Nigeria pays me two cents for every valid email address I send him, and Steve sent me his just to help me out!!!
What a place!
Frank

Steve Clardy
03-19-2006, 4:07 PM
Creekers are so very helpful!

I had PM’d Steve and told him that my friend in Nigeria pays me two cents for every valid email address I send him, and Steve sent me his just to help me out!!!
What a place!
Frank

Glad to help out on the finances Frank.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;) :eek: :D :D :D :D

Frank Chaffee
03-19-2006, 4:20 PM
Glad to help out on the finances Frank.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;) :eek: :D :D :D :D
Thanks so much Steve,
…Now if I just had 500 more friends willing to be as helpful... , why I’d be rich!!!
Frank

Mike Evertsen
03-19-2006, 8:38 PM
things to remember with e-bay or paypal

they won't send you a e-mail with a link to their web site asking for credit card or bank info.
and paypal and e-bay will address you by your name when they e-mail you.

every time I use paypay I get an email with a link asking for credit card info to verify the transaction. every e-mail like that gets fowarded to paypal.

Frank Chaffee
03-19-2006, 10:01 PM
things to remember with e-bay or paypal…
Also, that to conduct any legit transfer of information you will need to sign into a site on over a secure connection using the password you originally created for access to their site.
Frank

Vaughn McMillan
03-20-2006, 3:08 AM
…Now if I just had 500 more friends willing to be as helpful... , why I’d be rich!!!
Frank
Why would I want to help you out on that deal? My guy in Russia pays me three cents for addresses. :D

To get back onto the topic of this Off-Topic thread...;)

I did on one occasion have someone hack into my eBay account and start posting things as if I was selling them. eBay noticed the sudden change in my account activity and sent an e-mail message telling me to log onto eBay and contact customer service. As promised, there was no link in the e-mail -- they told me to get to the site manually. By the time I contacted eBay, they had already yanked the bogus auctions and the walked me through the password change (with e-mail confirmation that it happened).

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
03-20-2006, 9:08 PM
Yea, I got two of the PayPal scams last week.

John Pollman
03-22-2006, 4:23 PM
I was getting the same thing on a daily basis for a week or so. But it's been over a week since I've received one. Every one of them was forwarded to ebay and promptly deleted without opening any links that were contained.

There are a lot of dirtbags out there !:mad:

John

Scott Loven
03-22-2006, 4:41 PM
I got one from a potential customer on ebay asking me a question about one of my auctions. Ebay makes you go through their system to answer questions so I am used to getting 2-3 questions a day. When you click on the link in the email, ebay has you sign in with your ID and PW. I did and it took me to someones Else's auction. I checked the address and found that it wasn't from ebay after all. Looked exactly like the legitimate ones I get from ebay. I promptly went and changed my password.

Rob Blaustein
03-22-2006, 5:17 PM
It can be amusing when the scammers get scammed, like the researcher here in Boston who managed to scam his friends and colleagues out of 600K only to fall for the Nigerian scam:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/31/harvard_prof_scams/
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20040331/120232_F.shtml

This got a lot of publicity here in town.